Loewe Gate Bag Help

GirlAndBag

May 15, 2020
Hello,
I am thinking of purchase the small gate bag but understand that there is different types of leather like the soft grained calfskin, smooth leather & grained calfskin?
Would love if gate bag owners could share how it wears and if the colour combination of their gate bag please

I just got a gate tote second hand. It's all black with brown ribbon in grained calfskin. The serial number is from 2018. I haven't use it much yet but it feels substantial and all edges are glazed, feels tough and almost like new. However there is a dent on the front face that I don't even know how previous owner managed to imprint on it.

Reactions: GirlAndBag
Hello,
I am thinking of purchase the small gate bag but understand that there is different types of leather like the soft grained calfskin, smooth leather & grained calfskin?
Would love if gate bag owners could share how it wears and if the colour combination of their gate bag please
I have 2 small gate bags (both in grained leather). My first purchase was a Steel Blue one in grained leather. I am a denim person so I wanted an everyday bag without ever worrying about colour transfer (or scuffs). With time this bag had become my “go to“ item when I don’t know which bag I want to use as it goes with everything in my wardrobe (despite having a sizable bag collection). So after nearly 2 years of use I have decided to add another small gate to my collection. I was debating between smooth leather classic tan and light caramel in grained leather but ultimately decided to go with a light caramel grained leather one since the wear and tear on my first piece is almost non-existent after 2 yrs of use.
Looking back, all of my Loewe pieces are in grained leather with exception of round coin purse and elephant coin purse (these 2 are in smooth leather) and all of them have been wearing well with no issues.
Good luck deciding!

Last edited:
I have 2 small gate bags (both in grained leather). My first purchase was a Steel Blue one in grained leather. I am a denim person so I wanted an everyday bag without ever worrying about colour transfer (or scuffs). With time this bag had become my “go to“ item when I don’t know which bag I want to use as it goes with everything in my wardrobe (despite having a sizable bag collection). So after nearly 2 years of use I have decided to add another small gate to my collection. I was debating between smooth leather classic tan and light caramel in grained leather but ultimately decided to go with a light caramel grained leather one since the wear and tear on my first piece is almost non-existent after 2 yrs of use.
Looking back, all of my Loewe pieces are in grained leather with exception of round coin purse and elephant coin purse (these 2 are in smooth leather) and all of them have been wearing well with no issues.
Good luck deciding!
Thanks for letting me know! :smile:yes it would help as I am a denim person too!

Reactions: DAMER
Thanks for letting me know! :smile:yes it would help as I am a denim person too!
My pleasure :biggrin:
Here is a pic of my 2 small gates and as you can see there is hardly any visible wear. The only difference I have noticed was the flap on my older piece (blue) is now somewhat softer that on my newer piece as leather tends to soften with time/use but it not an issue by any means.

Screenshot_20211030-092709_Gallery.jpg

It’s both in a lovely colour! I went to check it out today and prefer the soft grained calfskin and am glad to know from you it ages beautifully. Unfortunately , due to the strap length I am reconsidering as I wish to use it as a shoulder bag but it couldn’t be shorten further. :sad: Am told the leather type is soon to be phrased out and only available in the smooth or grained calfskin leather in sturdier form. IMO, I still love the soft grain calfskin due to the slight slouch effect >.<

Thank you so much for sharing and the pictures! Much love and appreciation:smile:

Here is a pic of my 2 small gates and as you can see there is hardly any visible wear. The only difference I have noticed was the flap on my older piece (blue) is now somewhat softer that on my newer piece as leather tends to soften with time/use but it not an issue by any means.

View attachment 5237038

It’s both in a lovely colour! I went to check it out today and prefer the soft grained calfskin and am glad to know from you it ages beautifully. Unfortunately , due to the strap length I am reconsidering as I wish to use it as a shoulder bag but it couldn’t be shorten further. :sad:

I know Loewe sells the short straps, but I’m not sure if it’ll be long enough so that you can use the bag as a shoulder bag. The short straps might be best to make the Gate bag a top-handle bag. Here is a picture of someone’s post on another thread with the short strap on the Gate bag.

6196D894-D2D9-4FD9-957D-A67D8EA4912B.jpeg

744CAE0A-1E52-4E06-BDFC-AE2890374216.jpeg

Reactions: Indiana and weezer
I know Loewe sells the short straps, but I’m not sure if it’ll be long enough so that you can use the bag as a shoulder bag. The short straps might be best to make the Gate bag a top-handle bag. Here is a picture of someone’s post on another thread with the short strap on the Gate bag.

View attachment 5238298

View attachment 5238299

Yup, its only long enough as a top handle. The SA suggested cutting the straps to the the length I want >.< Thanks for the suggestion :smile:

View attachment 5237038
These a just gorgeous! So glad to hear they are wearing well!

Hello,

I have the soft grained calfskin bucket version in tan. I love how I don't have to baby it. Such a great everyday bag.