LM Midi in Dark Grey or LMM in black crash?

kittiekat

Feb 24, 2008
Hello to all the lovely ladies of the BE forum. This is my very first post so please bear with me :smile:. I have been lurking here in TPF for a few months now mostly in the LV forum but when I discovered the BE thread, I got hooked reading about your gorgeous babies! I've decided to take the plunge and purchase my very first BE, and Jackie's given me some pretty good options.

I cannot decide, however, between the LMM black crash and the dark grey LM midi. I'm a petite lady (about 5'1) and am wondering whether the midi would be a tad too big for me. However, I am in love with the dark grey color. The black crash seems like a good option, I like the size of the LMM as well, yet I'm a little bit on the conservative side. I would love to get your insight on this. Thanks!

Ummmm....the black crash looks sooo awesome...but that dark grey looks soo soft and lovely in the midi...have you looked to see if any of the girls posting the midi pics are around your height?

I would take the midi but I like bigger bags and am taller too...hard call.

Gee, I didn't help much, did I LOL!

welcome to BE!

I don't own an LMM (mini) but I own the dark greay LM Midi, and it is a perfect everyday bag for me (although I'm a little bit taller at 5 ft. 4 in). I've honestly never seen a dark grey leather like this ever, and it has such a chameleon quality in that it seems to adapt to colors around it. I posted some pics in another thread if it would help.

I'm very biased but my vote goes for the Dark Grey Midi.

I'd pick the gray. Especially since it's so soft. For the regular size LM, I picked black crash because it's DURABLE. For my LMM, I picked a softer leather color-purple because with smaller bags, I'm usually more careful of caring for them. I usually pick colors based on softness and durability depending on size.

I have a LMM and a LM midi. I am 5'3 and I feel like both bags are great for me.

I think it depends on how big or small you like your bags. The LMM is great and I love it and can fit my stuff in there but once I have it filled with my stuff there is no extra room. With my LM midi I fit all my things in there and still have plenty of room for more. I have the black crash in the LMM and I love it!! But I also just adore my dark grey. Ha I am no help on the colors!

Does that help?? I have some modeling pics of both bags in the picture thread if you want to check those out.

The BE Grey's are gorgeous....I have the LM in the Grey and it is TDF. Agree with the girls above the chameleon effect. My Mom is in from out-of-town and so far the LM Grey is her favorite so far. for your height, the LM Midi I think is a great choice!

thank you ladies for your input, you're all extremely helpful. i plan on using the "chosen one" for work, and would like the extra space since most of my bags are on the smaller side, so i bring a tote with me in addition to my shoulder bag to accommodate all my other stuff and just bring the small bag with the essentials with me to lunch.

Karenina: I saw your comparison pics of the midi and mini, love the grey color but the mini just looks so cute! you're such a lucky gal to have them both.

crazy4 and risingsun: the black crash does look amazing, yet i'm afraid it might be a little too daring for the software company i work for, ha! i am really tempted to get it though.

TejasMama and paintednightsky: i am leaning towards the grey color, yet afraid that the size might be overwhelming for me. sigh. Love your pics as well Tejas, the more I see the midi the more I'm convinced to go in this direction.

Just read your reply savvy23, I'm glad yout think that it's a good fit for my size.

:welcome:to our new BE forum kittiekat!

I think it will be helpful if we first compare dimenstions of the Love Me Mini against the Love Me Midi.

Love Me Mini
height: 8.5" top to bottom
width: 12" side to side
depth: 5" bottom front to back
drop: 9.5"

Love Me Midi
height: 11" top to bottom
width: 13" side to side
depth: 4.5" rigid bottom front to back (was supposed to be 5.25"; no sure what happened here)
drop: 9"

Variance
height: 2.5"
width: 1"
depth: .75"
drop: .5"

Now, let's discuss the leather:
  • The Black Crash has a crinkled surface aesthetic intermixed with small smooth areas. This leather has a good sheen and is treated with a surface coating ...what exactly, I don't know. It also lacks the ethereal aroma of the leathers that are perfumed ~ OMG, they smell absolutely DIVINE!!! And, while being lightweight, it is also thinner than the leather of the Matte Dark Grey.
  • The Matte Dark Grey has a chameleon-quality to it. I've read that it has some plum and brown undertones, although I haven't used mine yet so I can't speak to this. The surface of this leather is not treated like the Crash, so you will need to pre-treat it before use to ensure it is both water and weather proof. It is thicker than the Black Crash and smells absolutely DIVINE!!!
Personally, I think the Matte Dark Grey is more versatile than the Black Crash, and its slightly larger size is excellent. As you love the Matte Dark Grey, you should follow you instincts here, as the size difference is negligible.

Exterior and interior details of the Love Me Midi. (scroll down below the bespoke details for the pertinent info)

Crash leather info.

Good luck deciding and let us know what you choose! Again, welcome!!! :smile:

dsrk--if I was shopping and it was between the Grey and black crash, your detailed info would make me go LM Midi Grey. Girl, you are a wealth of info!

kittiekat--my Mom is 5'1" and we both thought my LM was way to big for her. But it is a choice, i know a lot of little ladies out there that love BIG BAGS!!

dsrk: i agree with savvy23, that was really a very comprehensive comparison of the 2 lovelies, i admit that after your vivid description of both bags in terms of size and leather i'm convinced that i should get the grey midi ;)

it would be my very first "big" bag and I'm so excited to order my first BE. I hope I wasn't too late in responding to Jackie regarding the midi.

you're all awesome and i have a feeling that this wouldn't be my last BE bag. I will give an update as soon as I place my order. glad to be in this forum, thanks a bunch for your responses!

Welcome Kittiekat! Good luck on your choice! They're both great options and you can't go wrong with either. You could see from dsrk's post that the differences are not all that great. The leathers are different however and they possess different looks so it all depends on the look you're going after. The Black Crash is edgy while the Grey is more classic -perhaps you should buy both? :yes:

kittiekat ~ I was a little off in the variance...it's a .5" variance in the depth. I've been having a really difficult time typing as my cats have been all over me, the keyboard, and blocking the monitor. :cursing:

dsrk: i agree with savvy23, that was really a very comprehensive comparison of the 2 lovelies, i admit that after your vivid description of both bags in terms of size and leather i'm convinced that i should get the grey midi ;)

it would be my very first "big" bag and I'm so excited to order my first BE. I hope I wasn't too late in responding to Jackie regarding the midi.

you're all awesome and i have a feeling that this wouldn't be my last BE bag. I will give an update as soon as I place my order. glad to be in this forum, thanks a bunch for your responses!

Thanks Bali_girl, I was actually contemplating on purchasing both, hehehe, maybe later on I'll get the black crash if it's still available- i HOPE it would still be :smile:

No worries dsrk, I'm amazed you're able to cook up such an informative response with your kitties all over you. I have a toddler all over me as well right now and I know how difficult that is!