Lining up for Hermes - thoughts, rants, raves

Because as Mrsowen explained the company needs to make money to stay competitive and continue to thrive so they need to sell things other than just b/k. There aren't enough bags for everyone so they prioritize selling to people who enjoy the brand as well as the artistry and craftsmanship. It's not a value judgment. It's business.

Completely agree with what Pocketbook says. It is good for their business with customers that keep coming back to buy different types of items. I am sure this is particularly true for stores who are less frequented by tourists and why those stores might appreciate (or require) some purchase history before selling their most sought of bags.

Completely agree with what Pocketbook says. It is good for their business with customers that keep coming back to buy different types of items. I am sure this is particularly true for stores who are less frequented by tourists and why those stores might appreciate (or require) some purchase history before selling their most sought of bags.

Well said

Actually I wonder, what's wrong about selling the coveted bags to walk-ins ? Is it because of exclusivity issue ? Well talk about exclusivity... how to be exclusive when the coveted bags are everywhere in ebay or some even selling in instagram ? Shopping has changed compared to the old days when only the ultra rich has access to all these branded boutique. Now with higher average income in the whole world, more people can afford and have access to these luxury good. Be it walk-ins or regular customers are the same. It's just a choice of shopping. Nothing wrong with liking just the coveted bags. Everyone has their opinion and should not be judged just because of it.

LOL TPF admin shd summarize this thread and sell or be a consultant to H on how to improve the Q system :smile: so many members suggest very good points to H ! Just hope someone from H could read all these and improve the system.

The "whole world" does not actually have higher average income.
I am also willing to step out and say the vest majority of bags I see on Instagram are fake.
No matter what, it is a privileged group that can afford these bags.

Hermès execs and admin do read this thread and others and are very aware of the queue issues.

Do you guys think the queue is suddenly more manageable because the artisans are on leave and people know that, hence fewer people are queuing?

I think some above posts discuss how Paris police physically removed spot sellers from lines one day, and then H security stared prohibiting swaps, even 1 for 1 with line sellers, and prohibiting family or extra people from joining the line. Now only the people who themselves want bags are lining up - no more spot selling or reseller nonsense.

I am struggling to comprehend how just by changing a few things that the line is manageable. I lined up at the end of April, not peak season in my mind, and although I experienced the crappy line sellers, multiple people joining , fights, and then I was 1 away from getting an appointment even though lined up at 7:15amish. There were a lot of people behind me at both doors. So, where r all the people? August not a travel month, were there really that many resellers, more availability at home stores, people giving up? I am still amazed.

I am struggling to comprehend how just by changing a few things that the line is manageable. I lined up at the end of April, not peak season in my mind, and although I experienced the crappy line sellers, multiple people joining , fights, and then I was 1 away from getting an appointment even though lined up at 7:15amish. There were a lot of people behind me at both doors. So, where r all the people? August not a travel month, were there really that many resellers, more availability at home stores, people giving up? I am still amazed.

That's my confusion exactly. The guards come out at 8am, not all night. The police aren't there everyday. Hmm...

Obviously I hope this lack of madness will continue... I hope it's not a temporary thing.

I think some above posts discuss how Paris police physically removed spot sellers from lines one day, and then H security stared prohibiting swaps, even 1 for 1 with line sellers, and prohibiting family or extra people from joining the line. Now only the people who themselves want bags are lining up - no more spot selling or reseller nonsense.
The police aren't there daily though? And spot sellers can still operate before 8am?

The police aren't there daily though? And spot sellers can still operate before 8am?

I think this is the case, yes. But 8 am is still 2 hours before the store opens, so anyone who wanted to buy a spot would still have to get up fairly early and wait for a couple of hours. My understanding from this thread and others was that most of the swapping and line selling activity happened right before the store opened. So maybe that explains it? I am planning on asking my SA if she knows anything about this when I next go to the store in a few weeks!

I think this is the case, yes. But 8 am is still 2 hours before the store opens, so anyone who wanted to buy a spot would still have to get up fairly early and wait for a couple of hours. My understanding from this thread and others was that most of the swapping and line selling activity happened right before the store opened. So maybe that explains it? I am planning on asking my SA if she knows anything about this when I next go to the store in a few weeks!

Going to Paris? How exciting! I will look forward to hearing about your first hand experience.