Ode to the Double Sens

Well shoot! Not sure what happened during my last post. I was trying to say I am seeing a lot of sizing inconsistencies on Fashionphile so I’m a little leery about purchasing a DS from them. They had a “Double Sens 36” whose measurements made it a lot smaller than what Hermes shows. Even tho’ I loved the color and it was in great shape I had to pass, based solely on their measurements.

It's not uncommon for resellers to list the incorrect size, and the dimensions can be off depending on how they measure the bag: flat or seam to seam. From a visual standpoint, the best thing you can do is look at the strap drop and compare it to the length of the bag- on a 36, the strap drop is nearly equal to the length of the bag/ on a 45, the length of the bag is much longer than the strap drop.

It's not uncommon for resellers to list the incorrect size, and the dimensions can be off depending on how they measure the bag: flat or seam to seam. From a visual standpoint, the best thing you can do is look at the strap drop and compare it to the length of the bag- on a 36, the strap drop is nearly equal to the length of the bag/ on a 45, the length of the bag is much longer than the strap drop.
I really appreciate the tip. Thank you. The one I saw was listed as a DS 36, but the measurements were like 10”x10” or 10”x11”.

I really appreciate the tip. Thank you. The one I saw was listed as a DS 36, but the measurements were like 10”x10” or 10”x11”.
if it helps any, Hermes almost always uses the model as a reference to size - Birkin 35 is 35 cm long on the base, etc. So DS 36 is 36 cm, or around 14 inches long (on the base). Not sure how they got to 10X10 or even 10X11. If anything, in inches it should be 10-11 X 14....

Hope this helps!

if it helps any, Hermes almost always uses the model as a reference to size - Birkin 35 is 35 cm long on the base, etc. So DS 36 is 36 cm, or around 14 inches long (on the base). Not sure how they got to 10X10 or even 10X11. If anything, in inches it should be 10-11 X 14....

Hope this helps!
You have been a big help. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me!

Reactions: A-Line

Hope this helps!

There actually is a smaller size DS, not sure exactly what the dimensions are but it's less than 36cm, maybe 10x11. I saw it at the Madison Ave store in NYC sometime this past year and it was adorable! Perhaps that's the one you saw on the website, @1LV?

Reactions: A-Line
Unfortunately I don't own a 36 but we are similar in size I'm 5' 2 and 128 pounds and the attached photo is me wearing a 45 in blue and the red is the jumbo double sens, Then holding a 35 cm Birkin for comparison. I see the 36 as a small handbag not really a tote but I think a strap drop is very similar to a 45 dear. I would not consider this 36 cm a tote bag or carry allView attachment 3918979
Love that Jumbo.

Reactions: trishaluvslv