Lifers, When Will You be Done With Hermes?

Oct 19, 2008
Love etoupe. Don’t have a Birkin anymore. I have a 31 Bolide and love it.
My opinion, I’ve been collecting Hermes for 40+ years.
  • I have more scarves than I care to count. A scarf is going to have to blow me away for me to buy it.
  • I lead a very casual lifestyle as a semi-retired consultant. Read: I am not buying $10-20K in RTW items per year any more.
  • My home is furnished. No need for that. Don’t need/want any more China/crystal.
  • Hermes fine jewelry doesn’t thrill me anymore; I have Hermes sterling and I don’t wear costume jewelry. I bought significant H fine jewelry in the past.
Over time, I have invested in the high six, if not seven figures at Hermes in those 40+ years of collecting. Why can’t I get a blasted 25 Kelly if I want one?!!! I inquired about said Kelly because I had a major life event and I wanted the bag as a celebration. I asked whether it was feasible from my current SA and SM. And I got the same baloney as a newbie wanting a quota bag.

Because H only cares about clients who spend money now — quid pro quo.

As a result, I’m going the bespoke bag route to complete my collection.

Love etoupe. Don’t have a Birkin anymore. I have a 31 Bolide and love it.
My opinion, I’ve been collecting Hermes for 40+ years.
  • I have more scarves than I care to count. A scarf is going to have to blow me away for me to buy it.
  • I lead a very casual lifestyle as a semi-retired consultant. Read: I am not buying $10-20K in RTW items per year any more.
  • My home is furnished. No need for that. Don’t need/want any more China/crystal.
  • Hermes fine jewelry doesn’t thrill me anymore; I have Hermes sterling and I don’t wear costume jewelry. I bought significant H fine jewelry in the past.
Over time, I have invested in the high six, if not seven figures at Hermes in those 40+ years of collecting. Why can’t I get a blasted 25 Kelly if I want one?!!! I inquired about said Kelly because I had a major life event and I wanted the bag as a celebration. I asked whether it was feasible from my current SA and SM. And I got the same baloney as a newbie wanting a quota bag.

As a result, I’m going the bespoke bag route to complete my collection.
Singers, entertainers, educators, and athletes receive lifetime or honorary awards for their dedication and devotion to their passion.

Would be nice if H rewarded clients who reach elite status as gratitude for their contribution to the House bottom line.

This is the exact sentiment of some of my friends who used to like Hermès (and probably have invested more or less the same amount of money with all the bags, RTW, and furniture they've bought) and have moved on to other brands.

This is the exact sentiment of some of my friends who used to like Hermès (and probably have invested more or less the same amount of money with all the bags, RTW, and furniture they've bought) and have moved on to other brands.
You are so right!!!
I think the demeaning chase for a quota bag is beneath me. I should not continually prove myself worthy to Hermes. So, I spend my play money elsewhere. Other people can play the game. I’m too old, and have no patience for that horse manure.

Not going to call anyone specific out, but I deeply admire those who've chimed in who have been with the brand for decades and decades (and yes, I can definitely see the frustration of having to "compete" for BKCs, or anything really, even with legacy-level spends).

But I'm also curious - if you think you're "done" with this H game, what is your draw to these forums? PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing or being sarcastic - because as a relatively new H buyer/tpf reader, I've benefited tremendously from your stories and wisdom - but is it still the "love of the brand" that keeps you curious about it enough to read the current buying struggles, or maybe are you hoping for some change so you can step back in?

You are so right!!!
I think the demeaning chase for a quota bag is beneath me. I should not continually prove myself worthy to Hermes. So, I spend my play money elsewhere. Other people can play the game. I’m too old, and have no patience for that horse manure.

From an h perspective - and I’m not saying I agree with it - bag demand is so high the clients at the top of their qb list likely mainly include those who currently spend consistently at a certain level. There really is not much wiggle probably for longtime or loyal clients who don’t continue to spend at a certain level. As crow has said to me before, someone else will gladly to step in the place of someone who no longer wants to shop h and h probably won’t care. At the end of the day h has to run a business and there are plenty of people who will put up with the horse manure. :lol:

I have been frustrated at times as well. But after having been a client for a little while and having built trust with my sa I’ve come to accept that h is how it is. I’m no vip and will never come close to a vip status or whatever other elevated status. Sure I’ve spent over six figures (though I imagine many of us who have shopped long enough have) but I can’t kid myself thinking that I’m at all important knowing that plenty of clients will spend that in one shopping session or a year. I know I can’t expect qb when so many others spend so much more and go to the boutique frequently. The fortunate thing for me is I like a lot of the other things h has to offer. And even if bkc didn’t exist I’d still shop h. I don’t see myself shopping really anywhere else. Tbh the allure of and desire for another qb has dropped off significantly for me more recently mainly because I have the bags I really want. But the qbs to me have become so loud im mostly not comfortable with carrying them unless it’s my town. I would much prefer to be offered a bolide or gp or some other unidentifiable bag these days until the sm fervor and crime settles a bit.

From an h perspective - and I’m not saying I agree with it - bag demand is so high the clients at the top of their qb list likely mainly include those who currently spend consistently at a certain level. There really is not much wiggle probably for longtime or loyal clients who don’t continue to spend at a certain level. As crow has said to me before, someone else will gladly to step in the place of someone who no longer wants to shop h and h probably won’t care. At the end of the day h has to run a business and there are plenty of people who will put up with the horse manure. :lol:

I have been frustrated at times as well. But after having been a client for a little while and having built trust with my sa I’ve come to accept that h is how it is. I’m no vip and will never come close to a vip status or whatever other elevated status. Sure I’ve spent over six figures (though I imagine many of us who have shopped long enough have) but I can’t kid myself thinking that I’m at all important knowing that plenty of clients will spend that in one shopping session or a year. I know I can’t expect qb when so many others spend so much more and go to the boutique frequently. The fortunate thing for me is I like a lot of the other things h has to offer. And even if bkc didn’t exist I’d still shop h. I don’t see myself shopping really anywhere else. Tbh the allure of and desire for another qb has dropped off significantly for me more recently mainly because I have the bags I really want. But the qbs to me have become so loud im mostly not comfortable with carrying them unless it’s my town. I would much prefer to be offered a bolide or gp or some other unidentifiable bag these days until the sm fervor and crime settles a bit.
My frustration is not necessarily that I’m not getting the Kelly or any other bag for that matter, it’s that Hermes won’t give me a straight answer. If the SM told me, “Listen eb, I know you’ve been a loyal client for 30+ years, but your current spend level is not at the point I can offer you one.” I would respect that far more than the maybe…. In the hopes I’ll increase my spend level.

I spend my H money on VCA, Verdura and now perhaps at bespoke leather vendors.

Not going to call anyone specific out, but I deeply admire those who've chimed in who have been with the brand for decades and decades (and yes, I can definitely see the frustration of having to "compete" for BKCs, or anything really, even with legacy-level spends).

But I'm also curious - if you think you're "done" with this H game, what is your draw to these forums? PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing or being sarcastic - because as a relatively new H buyer/tpf reader, I've benefited tremendously from your stories and wisdom - but is it still the "love of the brand" that keeps you curious about it enough to read the current buying struggles, or maybe are you hoping for some change so you can step back in?

I’m drawn to the forums to keep
Up to date of what’s going on in the H world, to read other peoples experiences and ask for advice. As someone who is annoyed with the games after spending a substantial amount it is disheartening to keep playing there game as in reality LOYALTY means NOTHING to luxury brands anymore. Quite rightly it’s always pointed out that there are many individuals who spend and get bumped up the list but it is frustrating when you have bought season after season and there is nothing else to buy which i would want. I don’t want furniture or RTW - it’s not my vibe whatsoever. So many long standing H customers are quite rightly upset their loyalty to purchase over the years and invest in a brand eventually gets them ghosted as they no longer spend the same way as newer clients.

To answer your question - the forums are dangerously addictive
and quite difficult to wean off or break away from

Many of us are done with so called competing with the VVIP's . It's getting old & tiresome
from my perspective & other options abound, but many of us do have a long history
with H & perhaps for some that is still the drawing card, for me H has lost some of its luster
due mainly to supply & demand & for orders to be approved by a SM..
I don't have any issue with asking & receiving from my SA very specific items which mostly is RTW or
jewelry. In the bag category I just for the most part go the reseller route but I am not looking
for the current "it" color or "it" size. I prefer box & exotic Kelly's & am specific about size & condition
Will say that the information shared about older bags, colors & styles keeps me interested & has merit
The lottery system & appointments are unpleasant & since it is the same story more or less
there is nothing new to "hear"..it is what it is

Last edited:
And, there are so many other things to love about Hermes than B/K, at least for me. This forum isn't only about achieving that elusive bag....
Also, being here for 14+ years, I’ve developed friendships and community here. Very few people in my friend group IRL understand Hermes or luxury shopping. Coming on TPF Hermes and VCA is a fun, generally judgement free zone where I can share pics and comments. I NEVER post pics of my luxury goods on Facebook et al.

All I can say is come here for H info, and stay here because of the peeps.:idea::drinks::hugs:

Also, being here for 12+ years, I’ve developed friendships and community here. Very few people in my friend group IRL understand Hermes or luxury shopping. Coming on TPF Hermes and VCA is a fun, generally judgement free zone where I can share pics and comments. I NEVER post pics of my luxury goods on Facebook et al.

All I can say is come here for H info, and stay here because of the peeps.:idea::drinks::hugs:
YASSSSS! I'm with you.

ETA: Where else is there such a wealth of information for all things fashion/life/etc that has this kind of "vibe"? NOT that we need to defend ourselves for still liking this forum if we're not playing the game right now...

You are so right!!!
My unpopular opinion: I have never bought into the idea that I have to do something to merit whatever it is I want to buy. It is ridiculous as is the brand as a cult. I read these groveling posts on the Hermes thread, and it makes my eyeballs spin. It's a brand people! They make good quality leather goods, at least the ones in my closet. It is not a altar where you have to worship.

I too fit in to the retired lifestyle now and with Covid changing all of our lives, the need for more of anything is greatly diminished. Have enough scarves and shawls and bags to open my own boutique. I have always liked Hermes silver and think it is good quality for the price point. I could see buy more of it if there was something that really spoke to me.

Oh and more than second the idea that tPF is a judgement free zone and a safe space. lol!