leather conditioner for quilted calfskin leather Darley shoulderbag

couchette

Jan 27, 2017
I know Mulberry recommends using Collonil leather gel on their leather purses.Do you think it’s safe for calfskin leather too? Also, should I spray it with Collonil water stop to protect it?
I tried reaching out to our local Mulberry store(San Jose) where I bought it but sadly they closed
!Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 4
I’d be careful over treating the leather. Collonil do a leather gel, cream and a wax. My understanding is that they will all clean, condition and waterproof to an extent. The wax will add a shine to the leather and brighten the colour. Cream will condition the leather but less shiny than the wax. The gel isn’t meant to alter the shine or colour however I’d take this with a pinch of salt. Any protective chemical will make a slight difference. If you’re worried then I’d try a small amount somewhere on the inside of the bag. Then use the tiniest amount all over if you’re happy. Hope this helps. I should note that Mulberry calfskin is already treated to an extent. I have a red iris I’ve never treated and it’s pretty durable in the elements.

• Thanks
Reactions: couchette
I’d be careful over treating the leather. Collonil do a leather gel, cream and a wax. My understanding is that they will all clean, condition and waterproof to an extent. The wax will add a shine to the leather and brighten the colour. Cream will condition the leather but less shiny than the wax. The gel isn’t meant to alter the shine or colour however I’d take this with a pinch of salt. Any protective chemical will make a slight difference. If you’re worried then I’d try a small amount somewhere on the inside of the bag. Then use the tiniest amount all over if you’re happy. Hope this helps. I should note that Mulberry calfskin is already treated to an extent. I have a red iris I’ve never treated and it’s pretty durable in the elements.
Thank you 🙏 !I recall I stopped in Mulberry store last year and chatted with SA.She pulled out the Collonil cream and cleaned my Darley.
I just tried a little on the leather part of the strap and no discoloration(looks the same).

• Thanks
Reactions: ScotsLinda