Law school

LibraChic107

Jun 5, 2007
So i have been thinking very hard about law school lately and I feel like i am in at the age (26) at which i really need to think about my career path. I am in a position now in which i work with legal issues, assess risk and work with government offices. I really love what i am doing, however I feel like i want to advance and get my law degree. I would be working during the day and taking classes at night for 4 years. Which to me is a lot of commitment and time! I feel like that i need to make a decision since soon i will be the age that having a family would come into play. I am torn. I have a decent amount of debt and my boyfriend does not think i should go back to school. I just do not want to regret not taking that chance. Anyone ever come access this issue?

Also if i was to prep for law school, what is the best way to study for the LSAT?

I opted for having the family & children before finishing school. It was entirely my choice. My family urged me to choose otherwise. But I was stubborn & strong willed & didn't listen.

Now that I have a 7-year old & a 4-year old I don't see any time in the near future when I would be able to finish school. Not just for financial reasons, but because I just wouldn't be able to find enough quality time to commit to my studies like I would need to.

Not saying that I regret my choice by any means. I love my children to death. But having my degree would help me in so many ways. Just my 2 cents...

I'm applying right now!

I took the LSAT once before and I'm prepping to retake it. I would absolutely look into buying the Powerscore Bibles. I took a Kaplan course (online - ~$600) but I found the Bibles way more valuable - especially with the Logic Games section. You can find them pretty cheap on eBay. They are well worth it.

Honestly, this might be the wrong answer for you, but from my point of view I wouldn't let debt hold you back if you're sure this is the right career for you. There are a lot of state schools and if you score well on the LSAT, schools will give you scholarships. I would say try out a few practice LSAT problems and see how it goes. If you turn out hating it or not minding it (I don't know if anyone LOVES the LSAT lol) you might have your answer.

I'm in the process of applying to law schools as well and much like danimeex, i'm retaking the lsat this december. the powerscore bible for the logic games is a definite must! and i like the princeton review book for the logical reasoning section - it's very detailed.

I graduated this past May and took a year off [doing nothing superb aside from volunteering] so I'm applying for entry next fall 2011 when I'm 23.

Law school is definitely a huge debt load - there are always instate schools with lower tuition if that is something you're interested in.

I'd IGNORE your boyfriend's advice and advise you to do what YOU want to do - it is your life and you don't want to regret not going to law school.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of applying to law schools as well and much like danimeex, i'm retaking the lsat this december. the powerscore bible for the logic games is a definite must! and i like the princeton review book for the logical reasoning section - it's very detailed.

I graduated this past May and took a year off [doing nothing superb aside from volunteering] so I'm applying for entry next fall 2011 when I'm 23.

Law school is definitely a huge debt load - there are always instate schools with lower tuition if that is something you're interested in.

I'd IGNORE your boyfriend's advice and advise you to do what YOU want to do - it is your life and you don't want to regret not going to law school.

I took a year off too! (And am not really doing anything superb either lol!)

Good luck on the Dec test date... it's coming up so fast :sad: blaaaghh

this times a million.

but my two cents....

im a senior graduating from a undergrad business program in the spring and a lot of my friends are taking the lsats/thinking about applying to law school. because i assume youre going to be doing a part time program, i would seriously think about the time/commitment that requires. in my opinion, i feel like you need to be even more committed to something like that because it requires to much additional focus/dedication since half your life will still also be work.

that aside....prepping for the LSATs, all my friends swear by the powerscore bibles. and most of my friends are doing LSAT courses as well--one of my friends is taking the LSATs in december. i also wouldn't let the thought of more debt deter you (but like someone else said, this might not be the right answer for you).

Thanks for all the feedback! I appreciate it! :biggrin: I am going to look into the books suggested. I previously took the LSAT about 3-4 years ago. I did not do that great back then, however with the experience i have gained working, i think it will help me overall.

It sounds like your plan to work and go to school at the same time will reduce the amount of debt you will have. But that is a very big undertaking, depending on your job (i.e., will you have time/breaks/lunch to do some of your reading). I have great admiration for those who take this path.

Also, I don't know how the job market is, and if it's on the uptick at least, but it seems that it's quite hard to get a good paying job right now.

That said, go for it if that is what you want, no matter what a family member or friend says. Who knows what their true motivation is? I attended law school when I was your age. I had a kid, whom I schlepped around with me and got married and pregnant during law school. You can do whatever you put your mind to. IMO, you are at a good age to do this. Law schools and future employers appreciate people who've had some life experience.

Good luck.