Large Pompon advice appreciated from a newbie

dlimbo

Mar 30, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and signed up hoping to get some advice as I feel I'm going around in circles!

I have become a bit obsessed with the Pompon and also love the look of the Balenciaga anthracite leather with giant rose gold hardware. I'm looking at large Pompons (not mini) because I think the mini would be too small for my purposes. I basically like to be able to put a book and cardigan in a bag, as well as all the essentials (wallet, phone etc).

However, I've been hearing about the large Pompon with giant hardware simply being too heavy and also physically bulky to be used as an everyday bag.

Can anyone with a large Pompon share their experiences/thoughts? I don't have any Balenciaga bags so this would be my first and I'd like to get it right! I usually wear hobo bags, and sometimes wish the leather ones weren't so heavy so I was considering a nylon Prada. But then I fell in love with the round unstructured look of the Pompon with the giant hardware ...

At the moment I'm tossing up between a giant Pompon (anthracite, giant 21 rose gold hardware) OR one in a lighter colour that won't look so heavy and probably be more versatile if they are really bulky. BUT I really love the look of the anthracite and constrasting hw, so another alternative might be a day hobo/shopper in this colour (smaller and also slightly cheaper) and maybe the giant Pompon in lighter colour down the track?? As you can see, I'm completely torn and confused and would be grateful for any advice from experienced Pompon owners!

If that's all too confusing, would appreciate any thoughts on the size/weight of the Pompon - did you find you ended up using less because of its heftiness? Part of me likes to think I would love the look of an anthracite giant 21 so much the size wouldn't bother me but realistically I know it would be silly to buy it and end up never reaching for it ....

Also, is the Pompon in giant 21 all that hard to find? I see people listing it as 'rare' so just wondered if that is a factor I should consider too. It's kind of making me want it more! Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and signed up hoping to get some advice as I feel I'm going around in circles!

I have become a bit obsessed with the Pompon and also love the look of the Balenciaga anthracite leather with giant rose gold hardware. I'm looking at large Pompons (not mini) because I think the mini would be too small for my purposes. I basically like to be able to put a book and cardigan in a bag, as well as all the essentials (wallet, phone etc).

However, I've been hearing about the large Pompon with giant hardware simply being too heavy and also physically bulky to be used as an everyday bag.

Can anyone with a large Pompon share their experiences/thoughts? I don't have any Balenciaga bags so this would be my first and I'd like to get it right! I usually wear hobo bags, and sometimes wish the leather ones weren't so heavy so I was considering a nylon Prada. But then I fell in love with the round unstructured look of the Pompon with the giant hardware ...

At the moment I'm tossing up between a giant Pompon (anthracite, giant 21 rose gold hardware) OR one in a lighter colour that won't look so heavy and probably be more versatile if they are really bulky. BUT I really love the look of the anthracite and constrasting hw, so another alternative might be a day hobo/shopper in this colour (smaller and also slightly cheaper) and maybe the giant Pompon in lighter colour down the track?? As you can see, I'm completely torn and confused and would be grateful for any advice from experienced Pompon owners!

If that's all too confusing, would appreciate any thoughts on the size/weight of the Pompon - did you find you ended up using less because of its heftiness? Part of me likes to think I would love the look of an anthracite giant 21 so much the size wouldn't bother me but realistically I know it would be silly to buy it and end up never reaching for it ....

Also, is the Pompon in giant 21 all that hard to find? I see people listing it as 'rare' so just wondered if that is a factor I should consider too. It's kind of making me want it more! Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance.
Thought I'd weigh in as there have not been any answers. I'm hoping someone with more experience with the regular size will speak up, I bought one and promptly sold it again because it was too big for me but I'm only 5'2" and under 100 lbs so that's not much reference for you. I've had two mini Poms and they'll definitely be too small for your needs, no book and/or jacket would fit.
It's not going to be your lightest of bags. G21 will add weight but gals who love the HW put up with it. @aalinne_72 I know you had a black cherry Pom, how did you find the weight? @peacebabe you said you found it too heavy?
They're not rare bags, I hate it when people throw that word around when they're trying to sell a bag. With some diligent hunting you'll find one no problem. I don't know how helpful this has been, hopefully some else will answer.
I own several Day bags, even with the G21 they're lighter and quite roomy. You can fit a book certainly and a light layer as well although I find the Day hangs best when only half to three quarters full.

Thought I'd weigh in as there have not been any answers. I'm hoping someone with more experience with the regular size will speak up, I bought one and promptly sold it again because it was too big for me but I'm only 5'2" and under 100 lbs so that's not much reference for you. I've had two mini Poms and they'll definitely be too small for your needs, no book and/or jacket would fit.
It's not going to be your lightest of bags. G21 will add weight but gals who love the HW put up with it. @aalinne_72 I know you had a black cherry Pom, how did you find the weight? @peacebabe you said you found it too heavy?
They're not rare bags, I hate it when people throw that word around when they're trying to sell a bag. With some diligent hunting you'll find one no problem. I don't know how helpful this has been, hopefully some else will answer.
I own several Day bags, even with the G21 they're lighter and quite roomy. You can fit a book certainly and a light layer as well although I find the Day hangs best when only half to three quarters full.

Thanks muchstuff for your reply - it is helpful! I'm 5'6'' and around 130 pounds so I guess my stature isn't extreme either way but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that the regular Pom would end up being a bag for travel or going going to the markets. I've looked at all the photos of the mini Pom I can find and yes, I agree it's more of an essentials kind of bag for travelling light (which I could also make do with as well). However I think I've found the perfect solution - an anthracite Giant Slim which would be much sleeker than the regular Pom but hold a lot more than a mini while satisfying my thirst for the anthracite with giant hardware. Plus a mini Pom in a pretty colour more for dinner, going out. And then I'll see if it quenches the thirst for a Pom, functionality and the colour combo I like. It just means it's a little harder on the wallet than planned!

How did you find your mini Poms in terms of functionality? Did you find them a bit limiting because of their size or just a bit fiddly with the drawstring in that size?

Thanks muchstuff for your reply - it is helpful! I'm 5'6'' and around 130 pounds so I guess my stature isn't extreme either way but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that the regular Pom would end up being a bag for travel or going going to the markets. I've looked at all the photos of the mini Pom I can find and yes, I agree it's more of an essentials kind of bag for travelling light (which I could also make do with as well). However I think I've found the perfect solution - an anthracite Giant Slim which would be much sleeker than the regular Pom but hold a lot more than a mini while satisfying my thirst for the anthracite with giant hardware. Plus a mini Pom in a pretty colour more for dinner, going out. And then I'll see if it quenches the thirst for a Pom, functionality and the colour combo I like. It just means it's a little harder on the wallet than planned!

How did you find your mini Poms in terms of functionality? Did you find them a bit limiting because of their size or just a bit fiddly with the drawstring in that size?
I don't recall having issues with the drawstring, I always left the bag partially opened. I didn't care for the leather on my first mini and the second came with the longer shoulder strap which didn't work for me. I'm also more of a mold to my body leather kind of gal and the mini pom is more of a bucket style. I seem to recall being able to fit my essentials without an issue, it would be best with a smaller wallet but my long wallet worked.

Reactions: peacebabe
I don't recall having issues with the drawstring, I always left the bag partially opened. I didn't care for the leather on my first mini and the second came with the longer shoulder strap which didn't work for me. I'm also more of a mold to my body leather kind of gal and the mini pom is more of a bucket style. I seem to recall being able to fit my essentials without an issue, it would be best with a smaller wallet but my long wallet worked.

Thanks muchstuff - yeah, I think I actually prefer the look of it open/partially open, so it looks a little more hobo in shape. Interesting point about the leather - I'm similar to you re a soft mouldable, supple leather. But I think for such a little bag I'd be okay with it being a stiffer bucket style, as long as it wasn't also an overly shiny, stiff leather. I guess I don't have the choice (the opportunity to try one out in the shops) though it'll have to be a risk. With the little one I am planning to go for (if it doesn't throw warning signals up for you), I just hope the colour doesn't fade too much and hopefully it is more the supple leather. It's partly that I just really like this colour/hardware combo and I don't think I'm likely to come across it again anytime soon, or at a reasonable price. Thanks again.

Thanks muchstuff - yeah, I think I actually prefer the look of it open/partially open, so it looks a little more hobo in shape. Interesting point about the leather - I'm similar to you re a soft mouldable, supple leather. But I think for such a little bag I'd be okay with it being a stiffer bucket style, as long as it wasn't also an overly shiny, stiff leather. I guess I don't have the choice (the opportunity to try one out in the shops) though it'll have to be a risk. With the little one I am planning to go for (if it doesn't throw warning signals up for you), I just hope the colour doesn't fade too much and hopefully it is more the supple leather. It's partly that I just really like this colour/hardware combo and I don't think I'm likely to come across it again anytime soon, or at a reasonable price. Thanks again.
They're not particularly stiff, I just prefer lots of leather that kind of wraps around me rather than a smaller bag that kind of bumps along if that makes sense.
We were just discussing 2012 leathers. @ksuromax has had F/W 2012 leather that was great and we've both had bags where the leather felt dry (I think its because they started putting protective coating on the leather that season). Your jacinthe doesn't look as dry as my latte was, my bag had smooshy leather but it had a top coat on it that made it feel dry. It may have worn off in time but I didn't hang onto it long enough to find out.

Reactions: ksuromax
They're not particularly stiff, I just prefer lots of leather that kind of wraps around me rather than a smaller bag that kind of bumps along if that makes sense.
We were just discussing 2012 leathers. @ksuromax has had F/W 2012 leather that was great and we've both had bags where the leather felt dry (I think its because they started putting protective coating on the leather that season). Your jacinthe doesn't look as dry as my latte was, my bag had smooshy leather but it had a top coat on it that made it feel dry. It may have worn off in time but I didn't hang onto it long enough to find out.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. And thanks for getting to the bottom of glycine/jacinthe! Why didn't I think of jacinthe? Possibly because (weirdly) it looks like a straight grey to me on this chart, not a purple shade at all:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/color-charts-by-year-all-in-one-place.141901/
But I have seen other photos of 'jacinthe' Bals (not Pompon though) and based on the pics of the Pom, they are clearly purplish to me (even if a smoky grey-purple, which I would prefer anyway to a flat pastel lavender). Or perhaps it's one of those border colours that shifts in the light. Ahh, so your latte was the one with the leather you didn't like ... maybe there's some kind of softener you can put on as well to make it more supple... I'll have to check that out. Thanks for your help with authenticating. I feel more confident now just going for it. And then I'll just have to decide about the Giant Slim (for anthracite giant rose gold urge) I just bid for but am having second thoughts about re its possibly awkward design (little depth and possibly awkward access) after reading some posts here. Is that crazy, buying multiple bags at the same time? :nuts: Thanks again for responding and so quickly - it was much appreciated!

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. And thanks for getting to the bottom of glycine/jacinthe! Why didn't I think of jacinthe? Possibly because (weirdly) it looks like a straight grey to me on this chart, not a purple shade at all:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/color-charts-by-year-all-in-one-place.141901/
But I have seen other photos of 'jacinthe' Bals (not Pompon though) and based on the pics of the Pom, they are clearly purplish to me (even if a smoky grey-purple, which I would prefer anyway to a flat pastel lavender). Or perhaps it's one of those border colours that shifts in the light. Ahh, so your latte was the one with the leather you didn't like ... maybe there's some kind of softener you can put on as well to make it more supple... I'll have to check that out. Thanks for your help with authenticating. I feel more confident now just going for it. And then I'll just have to decide about the Giant Slim (for anthracite giant rose gold urge) I just bid for but am having second thoughts about re its possibly awkward design (little depth and possibly awkward access) after reading some posts here. Is that crazy, buying multiple bags at the same time? :nuts: Thanks again for responding and so quickly - it was much appreciated!
My pleasure! If buying multiple bags is crazy then I'm certifiable :whut:

Here's a pic of the leather on my latte mini Pom...compared to the jacinthe. To me the jacinthe looks as though its been used more and consequently looks a little softer. Look at the third pic, my 2013 cigar fonce. Brand new and super smooth leather. @ksuromax do you have pics of your 2012 leathers? View attachment 4392602
View attachment 4392600
View attachment 4392607

Just saw this post now, after sending my last one. Hmm, well the seller said 'my' jacinthe was hardly used but of course that may have been a loose interpretation. But the difference between your second and third pics is huge. Do you think it's a case of newness? As a layperson I would just assume they were two different kinds of finishes not just a case of wear. I find it hard to imagine that the third one could end up like the second one. But maybe that's the protective finish... I have to say I like the look of your latte! I also wonder if the leathers are just different for different years/batches? I thought I read that somewhere about Balenciaga, that there can be big variations across production years?

Ha - okay, I'm nuts but in good company!

Just saw this post now, after sending my last one. Hmm, well the seller said 'my' jacinthe was hardly used but of course that may have been a loose interpretation. But the difference between your second and third pics is huge. Do you think it's a case of newness? As a layperson I would just assume they were two different kinds of finishes not just a case of wear. I find it hard to imagine that the third one could end up like the second one. But maybe that's the protective finish... I have to say I like the look of your latte! I also wonder if the leathers are just different for different years/batches? I thought I read that somewhere about Balenciaga, that there can be big variations across production years?

Oh yeah there can be huge differences between leathers, whether by colour, season, whatever. For instance I've yet to see a cigar fonce bag that hasn't had that smooth thick leather. Ksuro said her lagon and her cassis from F/W 2012 had fab leather but her rose thulian was really dry. Some leathers are veiny, some are smooth...My latte was fairly new I think, it had no real wear on it. I tried to moisturize it but I think it needed time for that coating to wear off, I'm sure it must after a certain amount of use.

Here's a pic of the leather on my latte mini Pom...compared to the jacinthe. To me the jacinthe looks as though its been used more and consequently looks a little softer. Look at the third pic, my 2013 cigar fonce. Brand new and super smooth leather. @ksuromax do you have pics of your 2012 leathers? View attachment 4392602
View attachment 4392600
View attachment 4392607
P.S. Sorry for the redundancy re my comments on the jacinthe on the swatch - somehow I missed reading that in your post the first time, going back and forth between threads! Totally agree it is off on the swatch. I would have called that something like 'liquorice' (in French!).

P.S. Sorry for the redundancy re my comments on the jacinthe on the swatch - somehow I missed reading that in your post the first time, going back and forth between threads! Totally agree it is off on the swatch. I would have called that something like 'liquorice' (in French!).
The swatches are really only a guesstimate IMHO for some of the colours, they just don't translate well after being photographed and uploaded. I always research the colour name and/or code or both if I can.

View attachment 4392600
View attachment 4392607
not just pics but i still have the bags! i'll take some now ;)

yes, you definitely are!
another nutty fan of multiples here :woot:
another reason of different leather feel could be the dye that was used for certain colours, but this is our guessing... and what i think is you have to take this case to case basis, see one particular bag and assess that one particular bag. It's really hard to just go by a year, or by a model... too many factors can apply... and leather hide used to make the bag is the main one, imo

Reactions: muchstuff
here! Lagon, Cassis and ex Rose Thulian, which was the same texture before re-dying, you can see how dry is the patch in the pocket (i left it undone on purpose for ref)

Attachments

• IMG_20190403_0846540~2.jpg
    IMG_20190403_0846540~2.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20190403_0847408~2.jpg
    IMG_20190403_0847408~2.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20190403_0848394~2.jpg
    IMG_20190403_0848394~2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20190403_0850284.jpg
    IMG_20190403_0850284.jpg