Lady Dior Shoulder Strap Question

margaritas

O.G.
Jul 12, 2007
I posted this in the chat thread but decided to start a separate thread because I'm anxious for answers (because I want to use my new Lady Dior asap! haha)

I realised one side of the shoulder strap is made of 2 pieces of leather joined together (the other side is made of 1 single piece of leather). Is this normal?

EDIT: Oops, I just checked again and both sides of the strap are made of 2 pieces of leather glued together. But my question remains. :smile:

attachment.php

It's normal. Dior uses the best quality lambskin, and in order to get skin that is not blemished, only the back skin of a lamb is used. This is because the side skin sometimes gets scarred from the animal brushing against a fence or other objects.

Each lamb only has so much back leather which is blemish free, so it is not possible to get a really long continuous piece of lambskin (unless you want scars at the ends). This is why most expensive lambskin leather jackets and other large lambskin items are usually made up of more than one piece of skin.

Even Chanel's leather-and-chain straps are made of more than one strip of leather. If you look closely, you can find the "seam" somewhere along the chain strap of a Chanel Classic Flap.

By the way, the pieces are not merely glued together. To get the seam to look so straight without exposing the underside or edges of the leather, and to prevent the seam from easily becoming damaged, the two pieces of skin are attached with skill.

averagejoe said:
It's normal. Dior uses the best quality lambskin, and in order to get skin that is not blemished, only the back skin of a lamb is used. This is because the side skin sometimes gets scarred from the animal brushing against a fence or other objects.

Each lamb only has so much back leather which is blemish free, so it is not possible to get a really long continuous piece of lambskin (unless you want scars at the ends). This is why most expensive lambskin leather jackets and other large lambskin items are usually made up of more than one piece of skin.

Even Chanel's leather-and-chain straps are made of more than one strip of leather. If you look closely, you can find the "seam" somewhere along the chain strap of a Chanel Classic Flap.

By the way, the pieces are not merely glued together. To get the seam to look so straight without exposing the underside or edges of the leather, and to prevent the seam from easily becoming damaged, the two pieces of skin are attached with skill.

Hi, I have a question about the type of leather of lady Dior. I recently bought a lady Dior in calf skin rather than lambskin, do you think calfskin is recommended over lambskin in anyway? Thanks

Hi, I have a question about the type of leather of lady Dior. I recently bought a lady Dior in calf skin rather than lambskin, do you think calfskin is recommended over lambskin in anyway? Thanks

Lambskin is more delicate and soft, so it scratches more easily in comparison to calfskin. But due to its softness, I find that lambskin feels more luxurious to the touch.

The finish on the leather is also different. Most Dior calfskin is finished with a more polished look (especially on the Lady Dior), while the lambskin has a beautiful subtle grain to it which diffuses light and gives the leather a soft appearance.

Ultimately, it depends on which one looks and feels better to you :smile:

My strap is the same. I was surprised when i was in the boutique and thought mine has a problem but checked with other LDs and the straps are not made up of one piece leather too. So dont worry. Thanks so mych for Averagejoe explanation too, learn something new everyday.

Almondaddict - i saw the calfskin LD when i bought mine and i have to say i did not realise the difference to the touch until the sa has pointed it out it was calfskin. As long as you love it that is all it matters.

kaka28 said:
My strap is the same. I was surprised when i was in the boutique and thought mine has a problem but checked with other LDs and the straps are not made up of one piece leather too. So dont worry. Thanks so mych for Averagejoe explanation too, learn something new everyday.

Almondaddict - i saw the calfskin LD when i bought mine and i have to say i did not realise the difference to the touch until the sa has pointed it out it was calfskin. As long as you love it that is all it matters.

Thanks for your reply! I thought calfskin would be more durable compared to lambskin, especially after owning a Chanel and realising how delicate and prone to scratches they are!

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

For sure Dior joined the leather pieces better for the strap than Chanel did for theirs! Dior's is barely noticeable while Chanel's is quite obvious and made up of many more shorter strips of leather - probably leftovers to save cost!

But due to its softness, I find that lambskin feels more luxurious to the touch.

Yes, I love how structured the bag is yet soft to the touch!

Thanks for your reply, kaka28! I was too giddy with excitement to realise it at the boutique so I didn't ask my SA. Hehe