Lady Dior -Lambskin or Patent

May 7, 2012
I am planning to buy my first Dior bag as a birthday present to myself in May. Went to check out the bags and now I'm torn between getting a lambskin or patent bag. I am leaning towards a darker purple patent Lady Dior or a pink lambskin Lady Dior.

Lambskin feels really good to the touch but I am afraid that it will not wear well in the long run. Also, I'm concern about it getting easily dirty since it is a light colour.
Patent is a lot harder but I'm wondering if it would lose it's shine after a while and whether it'll crack. I think it may wear a bit better in the long run?

Planning to bring the bag for work (most days) and hope to enjoy it for many many years.

While I personally prefer the patent Lady Dior, I think that the lambskin will wear better in the long run. I have multiple patent and lambskin from the mid 90s through the mid 2010s and both materials have held up very well without any noticeable deterioration. However the older patent wasn't as glossy, so the same might not be true for the current patent.

In my experience, patent won't scratch and loose it's structure/crease as easily as the lambskin, but once it does there isn't much you can do to fix it. This is especially evident on the top opening that does tend to crease fairly quickly. None of my patent has every cracked.

With the lambskin, all of the scratches I've gotten have been easily buffed out with my finger and it can have it's structure and leather restored to a fair degree. Some of my lambskin bags do show wear on the inner parts of the handles from rubbing against one another, but I've since started using twillies to prevent that. None of the corners of any of my lambskin bags show wear.

Color transfer is something that happens to both lambskin and patent in lighter colors, I don't think that one material is absolutely superior over the other in terms of resisting transfer.

I think that the lambskin ages more gracefully because it'll just get soft and supple, while a well worn patent will likely look smudged and chunky. I haven't had much problem with any of my Lady Diors wearing poorly, so I think that it's really more a matter of preference. However if you live in a humid climate, you might want to lean towards the lambskin because I've heard that patent leather can get sticky over time in high humidity.

Def the lambskin! Very luxurious and it's actually more hard wearing than you'd think! But I reccomend getting a darker color instead of the pink since it will get color transfer

I have both and i vote for the Patent ! Dior's patent leather is just amazing! ( best quality, much much better than other designer's patent leather ) and best thing is it is extremely durable.

Reactions: Ling Ying