Kira vs old Krisitin

bluerose2

Jan 29, 2010
I never saw Kira in person close up. I got Krisitn zip top tote charge sent to me, haven't received it yet though. I have heard so much here about people loving and looking for Kiras but not so much about old Kristins. Why did everybody liked Kira more?

I think you have to consider the point in time when Kira was released to the outlets. Kira was sent right after the holidays, there was no PCE at FP. Very little at that time was being pushed out...so, as far as FP deletes go, Kira was the cream of the crop. In limited numbers the demand was intense.

Also, keep in mind, Kira was "once in a lifetime" whereas Kristin has grown with Coach. New Kristin's were just released at FP along with the PCE...I'd think people are spending their Coach funds getting the latest/greatest as opposed to making up for lost time.

Also, Kristin on the first go around was available with PCE, too...many people picked her up then. She wasn't anticipated to make an appearance at the outlet, so people who really wanted her took advantage of that time to grab her at 25% off.

I think all of those variables added together make the desire less for Kristin at the outlets. I doubt, given the chance, anyone would "pass on her"...but I think she's not being hunted as frantically as Kira was just because of how her line has grown. She's not any better nor any worse than Kira...it's all about timing.

Indeed, well said. I love them both, I got both Kirstin and Kira with PCE but had to return Kira b/c even with PCE she was sooo pricey (have regretted it since) I am on the lookout for both of them at the outlet now. [slim chance I know!]

Enjoy your Zip Tote. Its a beauty!

The Kira and Kristin, to me, can only be compaired with the original Kristin do to the thick leather.

Kira was a limited and/or special addiction bag so it has some very special details, it was also a very large bag, had like a quilted patern and had a price tag of about $800 because if it..

Kristin, first release was not limited bag and not as large and the bag had no pattern to it but was lovely and soft and very elegant.. the price point was about $600

Both were very beautiful but for me I have never consider buying the Kira and do not have the Kristin first release but would get it.

I was one of the lucky few who found a Kira at the outlet. I hounded, and called, and was put on their "call list" if they got any in. Just when I had given up hope, I was gifted a gift card, went to the outlets sometime in Jan. to spend it, and there was one brown one left. The SA told me they only had gotten 3 in that day, and this was the last one.

Anyway, everyone has pointed out great points to why the Kira was such a talked about bag. I love the Kristin zip top tote too, but figure I will only get that lucky at the outlets once. :smile: Italia made a good point about how Coach just came out with the spring Kristin line. While the leather isn't as supple and thick, it still has some of the details the old Kristin's had. So, I bought one of those instead and was able to make peace with the fact that I won't probably get my hands on anything from the old Kristin line.

Enjoy your new tote, she certainly is a beauty!

I actually think that the difference in leather was a tactile move on Coach's part. Coach is pretty good about making bags for the season...heavy, thick leather is perfect for fall and winter--they make you feel a certain way. But summer is all about "light"...light clothes, light food...so why not light leather? I think, had this been fall or winter, these Kristin's would have the same thick plush leather...and I believe that come fall, we'll again see the thick stuff return!

Italia- I agree with you 100% about the leather! I love the Kira's leather, but I only carry that bag in the winter. I know a lot of people were not too crazy about the Kristin rouched hobo, I read some posts that said it felt cheap, and it was super thin, but I don't think that at all. I think it is the perfect leather for spring and summer. I live in FL, and it is an understatment to say that it is HOT! So, I don't want to carry around a big, old heavy bag. The rouched hobo is light, and the leather is matched just right for the season!

I'm chiming in...
I too, was in a quandrey as whether to get the Kira, or the Kristin zip top. For me, it was the fact I could wear the Kristin on my shoulder both ways. I have the black zip top Kristin. It's a bit 'glazier' than her sisters' leather.
It seems some of the previously posted cons on the Kira were it's size, puddling(some either like it, or don't), and not liking the long braided shoulder strap(some posted it wasn't comfortable). There are also those that love every inch.
The kristin zip top tote pros: elegant, large front pocket(for keys and iPhone), glazed leather(does well in wet weather), 2 different straps, size, look.
Cons: the clanking noise of the chain strap(I just take it off during those times it bugs me).
When I first saw the Kira, I thought it was huge. But, I'm a convert now, and love huge bags, even though I don't carry that much!
Both are beautiful. You can't go wrong with either. Just know yourself, and what you prefer.
Hope this helps!