Kelly Straps - question

Jewelqueen

Jan 3, 2007
I have a question...why do most people carry their Kelly with the straps unfastened? I always completely strap mine but I notice that not many people do. Is is simply too much trouble? I'm sure this has been discussed before. I'm new to the Kelly world so just curious. Thanks.

It's much easier to get into the bag with the straps unfastened. I also feel it gives the bag a somewhat more casual look, which works for me as I am usually dressed pretty casually and I carry it as my everyday bag.

I personally like the completely fastened look, but for convenience sake will leave the straps undone when I know I need to get in and out of the bag frequently. It's like a game everytime my phone (inside my completely fastened kelly) rings--can I reach it and answer it before it goes to voice mail? Usually not!

I personally like the completely fastened look, but for convenience sake will leave the straps undone when I know I need to get in and out of the bag frequently. It's like a game everytime my phone (inside my completely fastened kelly) rings--can I reach it and answer it before it goes to voice mail? Usually not!
LOL, the plight of Kelly owners :heart:!

I must admit this is one of the reasons why I prefer birkins than kellys... somehow it's so much easier to see what's inside the bag with birkins because you can just extend the whole bag to see the entire inside. However, I also love the kelly because of its shoulder strap... sometimes it's a better choice especially when I have to carry my DD! But yes, I usually unfastened the straps, cos it's just too much hassle whenever you need to get your mobile or your wallet fast.

This is my concern, too, as I decide what to buy for my first big Hermes purchase... I thought I'd want a kelly because I like its classic, ladylike design, but it looks too difficult to get in and out of quickly. If it's not a bother to leave the straps undone, maybe it's worth looking into. :shrugs: Wish I could see and play with a kelly/birkin IRL before deciding!

I like them all buckled up too. Sometimes, I have one strap on and the other loose.

Depends on the impression I want to give - for formal occasions then all strapped up is the way, just toting the bag about town = straps mainly undone for convenience.
My first H bag was a Herbag and the Kelly is nothing like as difficult to get into when it's strapped up than that so I feel fine about it. And Birkins are out of the question because you can't sling them over your shoulder which is the very height of inconvenience for me.

Hahaha So Cute!