Karos - Goatskin vs. Swift

valencia

City Dweller
O.G.
Apr 24, 2006
In my search for karos, I have come across a few in swift. Up until now I have been partial to goatskin because I think it is more scratch resistant. Does anyone own a swift karo? How long have you owned it and how has it held up?

My seach has been via phone so I have not seen the swift karos up close and personal.

TIA

I like the karos in chevre too...the ones in swift are too smooshy for my taste. I am not sure how they hold up as I don't have one...but like you, I do think the ones in chevre are more scratch-resistant. Hopefully someone who has both will be able to chime in!

Karo in Chevre fan here, too. I've got the GM size in Blue Brighton Chevre and use it to hold my keys, lipstick, mirror and office security pass. It stands up nice and straight and that makes it very easy to access. I don't have any experience with Swift except to note that colors look fantastic in this skin.

I had to choose between vermillon chevre or blue jean swift, and I ultimately decided on chevre because the swift wasn't holding its shape enough for me, even though it was brand new in a shrink-wrapped box -- tempting, I know.

valencia, I'm so glad you started this thread! I was wondering the same thing. Today, I ordered a karo pm - vert anis - swift. I will post photos when it's in. My SA says they are coming in swift for now.... :shrugs:

Lisawhit, can't wait to see your Swift Karo!

Great thread, I have been wondering about this myself. Having not ever owned a Karo, I’ve been leaning towards the Chevre. On the other hand, Swift does sound mighty tempting. :thinking:

But, perhaps Swift’s tendency to smoosh/flop over will be staid simply by the contents within. For example, with a Swift Karo PM, I can imagine putting a make-up compact in there, mini brush, tampons, etc. and having it stand up straight.

Also, depending upon how structured your bag is, the other objects in a purse (wallet, agenda, etc.) and the purse walls themselves would help in keeping a Swift Karo upright. Furthermore, with Swift being so flexible of a leather, I can see it molding against the objects inside, lending itself to provide additional room in your purse, whereas a stiffer Chevre Karo that holds it shape would pretty much retain the same amount of space in a purse regardless of whether it is full or not.

Either way, can’t wait for comparison shots from somebody who is able to get the best of both worlds!:tup:

Oh, a question! Since they are switching to Swift, will it constitute a change in price for the Karos?

All the Karos I see in the stores are swift. I would think H gives a lot of thought to the purpose of the item and the suitability of the leather. They must know that a Karo used as a makeup bag will be handled a lot. It would be nice to know from someone who has a Karo in swift AND chevre how they compare.

Agree it would be great to hear from someone that has both in order to get a true comparision but it looks like people have their preference and that's what they stick to.

lisawhit - Definitely look forward to seeing your vert anis PM.

Okay .. so I have both types of leathers .. the Rouge H in Swift and the Orange in Chevre.

The Swift is so super soft and smooshy .. has a real velvety feel to it. I use it to hold tampons, advil etc. and it holds its shape pretty well with what is carried in it. I just love how this leather feels to the touch.

The Chevre holds makeup and is definitely stiffer and holds it's shape much better.

I love them both equally in terms of usefulness, and they both stand up quite well in my HAC and Lindys .. but I do find it easier to locate items in the Chevre. HTH:heart:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 151