Just maced a dog

There is also a product called "Halt" that will stop a dog but not do damage.

http://halt.com/halt.html

Thank you for the suggestion, Irishgal. I was going to ask if anyone could recommend something. There are lots of positive reviews of this product on Amazon. It's basically pepper spray, not strong, but apparently enough to cause the dog to back off.

We too have had attacks while walking our dogs. Afterwards I've called animal control and the police, and they just chuckle and say they don't have the manpower or funds to look into complaints of dog attacks, not even when there are bites. :annoyed:

Thank you for the suggestion, Irishgal. I was going to ask if anyone could recommend something. There are lots of positive reviews of this product on Amazon. It's basically pepper spray, not strong, but apparently enough to cause the dog to back off.

We too have had attacks while walking our dogs. Afterwards I've called animal control and the police, and they just chuckle and say they don't have the manpower or funds to look into complaints of dog attacks, not even when there are bites. :annoyed:

Happens all the time. Friend of mine was attacked yesterday by two loose German Shepherds. Thankfully because he has been a decoy with the training of police and military dogs (the decoy is the guy who wears all the pads and gets attacked when the dog is training) he was able to get away with minimal damage. The police told him it was a HOA issue and they did nothing. Sadly it's up to the citizens to protect ourselves.

I carry mace that is specifically made to deter animals including dogs. I have a very small dog and I have had enough owners with loose dogs that nearly ate my dog to carry this stuff with me all the time. I have thankfully never had to use it. But when I carry this I also carry a bottle of water with me always. I think you should have let the owners know what you did and had water handy so the dog's eyes could be flushed quickly. I worry a dog would scratch its eyes and do damage not knowing that its pepper spray.

My friend carries a combo flashlight/taser like device with her when she walks her little dog at night. Her husband is a police officer and helped her pick it out! There were foxes out at night who'd come out and actually follow her and her little doggie. It's a mini flash light that has a button that you press that makes the zapping noise. If you press a different button you get the electricity with the zap noise. There's also a pin release you can pull out to disable the zapping (like if a pervert grabbed it from you to use on you!) I think she got it on Amazon. The zapping noise alone is really scary.

You have to press the device against the animal though for it to feel the pain- it's not like a real taser shooting out things.