Just got my first LV ever. . . and

eesmom

Oct 24, 2009
have some questions. First of all, I got a Damier NF in MM. I was so excited to open it but I must say, I was a bit disappointed in the leather. I guess I expected it to be more supple and not so stiff. It just doesn't even look like real leather. Am I being too critical? Now I am wondering if I should have gotten the NF in mono like I had initially planned on doing but after reading the posts here, I thought the damier would hold up better and that taking care of the vachetta would be too difficult.

So, what should I do? I am either contemplating returning the damier and getting the mono NF and treat the vachetta somehow to be stain-resistant or just not even get a LV (it just seems to be too much trouble) and get another bag altogether (husband thinks it is kind of crazy to be spending $$$ and not getting much leather! )

Any advice?

It's hard so say...it seems you are on the fence with even wanting an LV. I think you need to first decide whether or not you want an LV. If you do, take the bag back to the store and check out the Mono. If you like the Mono better, exchange it.

Just remember that both Mono and Damier are canvas, and not leather.

I do know that it is canvas. . . but I was talking about the straps and the piping. Does it soften over time? Or is it made to be like that to make it more sturdy? I guess I realize just how little I know about the damier. I ordered it online. . . just saw the mono at the store briefly.

I do know that it is canvas. . . but I was talking about the straps and the piping. Does it soften over time? Or is it made to be like that to make it more sturdy? I guess I realize just how little I know about the damier. I ordered it online. . . just saw the mono at the store briefly.

My Mono NF MM is EXTREMELY soft. I just bought my first Damier piece yesterday -- a Speedy 30 and the leather on mine is definitely stiffer than my Mono pieces. And I agree with you when you said it looks like it might even be "fake leather". I thought the very same thing yesterday.

From my own experience, the damier ebene straps do not become softer like the vachetta. I understand how you dh feels as my dh feels the same way about LV canvas line. He doesn't mind if I spend the same amount on a leather bag but if it's LV canvas, then he does.

I think that since you are on the fence about it then may be return it and get the bag you love, even if it's not an LV. For the amount of money we spend on these bags, it is much better to truly love the bags.

Good luck in your decision.

My Damier NF MM straps are really soft. I use the bag regularly and I have had it for a year. I think the straps soften if you put them to good use (I always carry tons of stuff in my bag), so dont change your mind just yet. :graucho:

From my own experience, the damier ebene straps do not become softer like the vachetta. I understand how you dh feels as my dh feels the same way about LV canvas line. He doesn't mind if I spend the same amount on a leather bag but if it's LV canvas, then he does.

I think that since you are on the fence about it then may be return it and get the bag you love, even if it's not an LV. For the amount of money we spend on these bags, it is much better to truly love the bags.

Good luck in your decision.

I agree with this!....

Yes, you still have time to think about it.

I have the roses NF and eventually bought the Damier NF-- but it just never sat right with me (it was very stiff- maybe someday I'll still get this bag due to it's studyness, but not now)... I returned it for a plain Mono NF. (If you read any of my threads, you already know this!!) This bag never sat right with me, and on day 29 I returned it, paid more $$ and got the Galliera- which I love love love and carried it the very next day.

What I'm trying to say is- if you don't LOVE it, then you gotta do something about it. The way I danced around the house the other night with my Galliera, the way I want to set it out so I can look at it, & how special I felt getting to carry her yesterday is how we should feel when we put this much money into anything.

There are many soft, supple bags out there in the LV line (they may be more $$)... you just need to go in a strore, wear, & touch all of them. That was one thing I was very impressed with my Galliera compared to my roses NF. Some people do treat the vachetts (I ended up with Wilsons- very happy with the results)-- & if you really love the Mono NF- it really doesn't have that much vachetta to worry about.

So relax & follow your heart. You have 29 days to decide. Goodluck and let us know what you decide!!

Yes, you still have time to think about it.

I have the roses NF and eventually bought the Damier NF-- but it just never sat right with me (it was very stiff- maybe someday I'll still get this bag due to it's studyness, but not now)... I returned it for a plain Mono NF. (If you read any of my threads, you already know this!!) This bag never sat right with me, and on day 29 I returned it, paid more $$ and got the Galliera- which I love love love and carried it the very next day.

What I'm trying to say is- if you don't LOVE it, then you gotta do something about it. The way I danced around the house the other night with my Galliera, the way I want to set it out so I can look at it, & how special I felt getting to carry her yesterday is how we should feel when we put this much money into anything.

There are many soft, supple bags out there in the LV line (they may be more $$)... you just need to go in a strore, wear, & touch all of them. That was one thing I was very impressed with my Galliera compared to my roses NF. Some people do treat the vachetts (I ended up with Wilsons- very happy with the results)-- & if you really love the Mono NF- it really doesn't have that much vachetta to worry about.

So relax & follow your heart. You have 29 days to decide. Goodluck and let us know what you decide!!

thanks! i will have to give it some thought. i actually haven't even packed the bag yet to see how it is. i have been obsessing over this bag for a while, so i will just give it some time.

wow i'm sorry u are disappointed with your first lv because i want 2 purchase mine soon...i considered the damier ebene speedy but i have heard so many complaints about peeling handles and such....so i know how it is to be on the fence about lv..if you are like me and have always carried leather it is an adjustment to plunk down hundreds of bucks for canvas but i think once u get over the sticker shock u will love your bag and luis vuitton....hth