Just bought the Speedy Damier Azur 30...now realize it has cloth tag

It has never really bothered me if a bag was Made in USA or Made in France. I would happily accept a bag that was Made in USA. But this tag reads Made in USA of imported materials. It even sounds awful. Honestly, I think it would bother me less if it read Made in China. But 'of imported materials' sounds so shady and vague. The more I think about this bag, the more annoyed I get. I realize $800 may not be a lot to some people, but in the end I have paid $800 for a French bag that was not made in France or even the USA but some unspecified - perhaps third world - country with shoddy working conditions. I expect more from Louis Vuitton.

And, I don't want to bash but aesthetically speaking, the tag is cheap, tacky and out of place.

I think I've just made up my mind.

I do think you can probably find some "MIUSA" speedies still out there without the new tag if that's what you want. You may just have to do some calling around. Good luck!

The fabrics are from China, that's the whole point. =QUOTE]

I was informed that the fabrics were shipped from paris. Again, there is still no difference between an lv and any other luxury item. We can believe wht we're told until proven otherwise. Many companies outsource product and as a consumer we have the right to Choose. If you don't like the tag in lv's, the only option I see is to choose another brand...possibly goyard (their workmanship isn't up for question) or choose from the leather line....as all of those items are still
Made internationally.

A few discussions ago, when the tag first came into question, it was stated that the reason that LV was using the tag was because all of the customer wanted a bag MADE iN FrANCe....it had nothing to do wih outsourcing to china. The bags made in the USA were not being sold well with many complaints coming from the customers and complaing SA's who reported such.

Ultimately without this idea from LV, it would put the us workers out of business. So, the canvas lines( the only ones that seem to be effected) are still made in the us solely now...by imported materials (FRoM FRANCE!)

And since no one I know works at the corporate level, it's all still assumption. Because we clearly have ALL heard different things....and if we did---I'm sure a confidentiality agreement would prevent us from saying anything anyway.

Buy merrily!

Last edited:
anne_antz said:
Are you in DMV area? me too!! I love the SA at Sak she is so nice but at boutique they tend to be more..... you know!!

Yes! I'm from DMV area ! I don't know if it's
A good thing surrounded by 3-4 Lvs store lol
We went to dc with family for lunch and of
course we had to make a detour !!! Lmao
They are very nice and yes I need sack
of money before going in that boutique !!!
Hahahaha

Not silly. I would return it. You should be happy and excited about your new LV, not disappointed.
I will never buy an LV canvas bag with this tag. Not only do I hate it I also think it will effect resale value if I ever decided to sell.

The fabrics are from China, that's the whole point. =QUOTE]

I was informed that the fabrics were shipped from paris. Again, there is still no difference between an lv and any other luxury item. We can believe wht we're told until proven otherwise. Many companies outsource product and as a consumer we have the right to Choose. If you don't like the tag in lv's, the only option I see is to choose another brand...possibly goyard (their workmanship isn't up for question) or choose from the leather line....as all of those items are still
Made internationally.

A few discussions ago, when the tag first came into question, it was stated that the reason that LV was using the tag was because all of the customer wanted a bag MADE iN FrANCe....it had nothing to do wih outsourcing to china. The bags made in the USA were not being sold well with many complaints coming from the customers and complaing SA's who reported such.

Ultimately without this idea from LV, it would put the us workers out of business. So, the canvas lines( the only ones that seem to be effected) are still made in the us solely now...by imported materials (FRoM FRANCE!)

And since no one I know works at the corporate level, it's all still assumption. Because we clearly have ALL heard different things....and if we did---I'm sure a confidentiality agreement would prevent us from saying anything anyway.

Buy merrily!

This is actually wrong. Before when materials were imported from France, there was no need for the tags. The bags were made here. They are not anymore (at least 60% of the bag is not). That's why the new tags.

While I do realize LV SAs (some unethical ones) are giving the party line that it is due to customers wanting MIF bags, this is patently untrue. There would be no need for the new tags. The U.S. Government has forced the issue because the bags are made elsewhere.

They were always importing materials. The tag change came for a reason. My friend has worked for LV for over 15 years and I not only was told the truth by her, but by our leathergoods manager who I've been shopping with over ten years, and the manager of the store. They are well aware of the reason and talk about it amongst themselves a lot. The SAs are not happy about it either.

In any case, the fabrics have not all been shipped from Paris for over 10 years. LV has been manufacturing canvas in other countries for years, and zippers are made in China. If someone is telling you these materials all come from Paris they are patently lying to you unfortunately. I can't say I'm surprised, but it is disheartening to hear.

It is important though that people realize the truth. LV canvas has not been coming from Paris for a very long time. Nor does the hardware and zippers. The difference now though is that the majority of the bag is made in other countries as well.

See if you can get your SA to put it in writing that all the materials come from Paris, or that the reason for the tag switch is due to customers wanting MIF bags. I guarantee you she won't do it. Better yet, write to corporate and see if they will put that in writing. If it's true, I'm sure they'll have no problem.

Here's the address for corporate:

Louis Vuitton
One Market Stewart Tower
San Francisco, CA 94105

And I wouldn't go by what you are told on the phone, by anyone. Ask them to put their money where there mouth is and send you something in writing explaining the new tags, stating where all manufacturing is done, where canvas, fittings, hardware, zippers, etc. are made and what portion of the bags are made now in the US. While you're at it, you can ask for addresses of their factories in China and India (although that information was easily findable with a google search). You can also ask why they have people working in India with titles like "Executive Director of Outsourcing." I actually found his resume on the internet.

I guarantee you over the phone - you will get "legalspeak," not directly answering the question. From SA's you're get all sorts of "reasons." In writing, you will get nothing. As a paralegal, unless I see something in writing categorically stating they are not outsourcing manufacturing, given the new tags (which there is no other reason for them) and given that I've been told by three representatives of LV I've known for over 10 years each and whom I trust (and there would be no reason for them to tell me the truth other than the truth - otherwise I'd get the party line being given out by some LV SAs which is false), I do realize that you're not going to get anything in writing categorically stating they are not outsourcing manufacturing - because they can't without risking having to prove it in court if challenged. This is not something they want people to be really aware of on a general basis. It's much easier to say something like "we didn't want people wanting bags MIF," but I guarantee you LV wouldn't be taking these kinds of financial risks with the bottom line (and marketing) unless they were forced to due to outsourcing.

LV realizes a huge marketing draw for them is the history of the bags, the luxury and not letting people know that bags are being made over 60% in third world countries. It's not information they are going to give out lightly. However, if pressed to deny it categorically, that will not happen in writing. They can't. If it's not true, they'll have no problem putting it in writing that it isn't true. If you read the yearly shareholder reports, it's very clear. Interestingly, they just laid off a bunch of workers in India last year and shut down that particular factory because the workers were striking due to terrible working conditions and wages. I shudder to think what is going on in China.

Last edited:
I've read through the comments and can understand each viewpoint. But for me, Louis Vuitton is a luxury item. It is something I view as a treat to myself. The bags are not inexpensive and as such, if there is anything that bothers you about the bag, I say leave it at the store. I don't see anything wrong with not wanting the cloth tag. Walk away from it. In time, if they continue the tags and you see a bag that you really love, go for it. But don't settle and risk regret or buyer's remorse.

This is actually wrong. Before when materials were imported from France, there was no need for the tags. The bags were made here. They are not anymore (at least 60% of the bag is not). That's why the new tags.

While I do realize LV SAs (some unethical ones) are giving the party line that it is due to customers wanting MIF bags, this is patently untrue. There would be no need for the new tags. The U.S. Government has forced the issue because the bags are made elsewhere.

They were always importing materials. The tag change came for a reason. My friend has worked for LV for over 15 years and I not only was told the truth by her, but by our leathergoods manager who I've been shopping with over ten years, and the manager of the store. They are well aware of the reason and talk about it amongst themselves a lot. The SAs are not happy about it either.

In any case, the fabrics have not all been shipped from Paris for over 10 years. LV has been manufacturing canvas in other countries for years, and zippers are made in China. If someone is telling you these materials all come from Paris they are patently lying to you unfortunately. I can't say I'm surprised, but it is disheartening to hear.

It is important though that people realize the truth. LV canvas has not been coming from Paris for a very long time. Nor does the hardware and zippers. The difference now though is that the majority of the bag is made in other countries as well.

See if you can get your SA to put it in writing that all the materials come from Paris, or that the reason for the tag switch is due to customers wanting MIF bags. I guarantee you she won't do it. Better yet, write to corporate and see if they will put that in writing. If it's true, I'm sure they'll have no problem.

Here's the address for corporate:

Louis Vuitton
One Market Stewart Tower
San Francisco, CA 94105
Fax No.: 866-222-3624
Phone: 866-884-8866

And I wouldn't go by what you are told on the phone, by anyone. Ask them to put their money where there mouth is and send you something in writing explaining the new tags, stating where all manufacturing is done, where canvas, fittings, hardware, zippers, etc. are made and what portion of the bags are made now in the US. While you're at it, you can ask for addresses of their factories in China and India (although I do have that information). And why they have people working in India with titles like "Executive Director of Outsourcing."

I guarantee you over the phone - you will get "legalspeak," not directly answering the question. In writing, you will get nothing.
Wow this is terrible. Now what makes our bags any different than the horrible fakes.

Here's an article from 2007 about the plant in India. This has been going on for quite some time - however the US government has cracked down. As you will see they were even considering Vietnam at that time:

Louis Vuitton Paris made in India

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Louis Vuitton plans Asia plant in Pondy

BOBY KURIAN & AMANPREET SINGH

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, JANUARY 09, 2007 03:43:24 AM]

BANGALORE/NEW DELHI: Didn’t we say India rocks the world? The venerable French luxury goods giant Louis Vuitton, part of the $17-billion Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) group, is setting up its first manufacturing plant in Asia at Pondicherry through a joint venture, sources said.

LV — best known for its expensive and edgy bags — has identified the Dilip Kapur-owned Hidesign, the domestic high-end leather goods brand, as its JV partner. The greenfield venture, likely to be a 50:50 JV, is expected to come up in a 30-acre plot in the Union territory.

Following the visit of the senior board members late last year, LV decided on Pondicherry as the location for its manufacturing base in Asia (mostly for leather products). Sources said the toss-up for the plant location was either India or Vietnam. Unlike Prada or Gucci, LV has opted for India. It is learnt that LV is working towards putting the plant on stream within this year.

“We are looking at possibilities. Nothing is confirmed yet,” said Tikka Shatrujit Singh, brand advisor, LV, when contacted by ET. Sources at Hidesign also confirmed that parleys were on with LV.

The French brand’s arrival would significantly bolster Pondicherry’s profile as a manufacturing hub in the South-East Asian context. In fact, the LV plant is expected to come up near a Rs 2,700-crore Fashion City project, which is an integrated township offering manufacturing, design, education and warehousing for the fashion business.

Air Deccan and Paramount are already looking at connecting Pondicherry, and real estate prices are beginning to pick up as the news trickles in.

Sources said LV’s move was part of a global supply chain overhaul to keep pace with market growth. Last year, LV roped in McKinsey & Co to make its manufacturing operations more flexible in responding to the needs of the expanding store network.

The move to set up a production base in India is crucial. The company largely relied on Europe, and France in particular, as customers put top dollar on the brown and gold logo bags on account of the old-fashioned craftsmanship, besides the brand power built through high-profile advertising, fashion shows and star designer Marc Jacobs.

Hidesign also has placed a similar emphasis on artisan-driven, soft, supple leather designs in building a brand that is slowly expanding outside India.

LV, founded in 1854, accounts for a significant part of LVMH’s revenues and profits. Besides its clothing line, the brand mops up a bulk of its revenues from leather accessories like handbags, wallets and suitcases.

And here's an article about how they just had to close the same plant due to labor problems. THIS IS NOT THEIR ONLY PLANT, nor is it the only country in which they have manufacturing plants.

http://fashionscandal.com/index.php...disposes-off-its-manufacturing-unit-in-india/

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ll-unit-in-Puducherry/articleshow/8933351.cms

Here's our lovely and expensive LV shoes (which coincidentally care "Made in Italy" tags):

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/09/19/idUSL1969542820070919

More articles:

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/fashion/louis_vuitton_soon_to_get_made_in_india_tag.php

Last edited:
Look who was at the "China Outsourcing Summit" in 2005 - scroll through the company names:

http://www.chinaoutsourcingsummit.co...executives.php

Article about plant in India (in 2007):
http://pzrservices.typepad.com/adver...u/outsourcing/

Another fascinating article:
http://www.girvin.com/blog/?p=5634

And another:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/23/op...omas.html?_r=1

http://www.thehindubusinessline.in/2007/03/17/stories/2007031706280100.htm

And here - LVMH refused to sign a document committing to even making a certain percentage of their bags in France anymore - and this was quite a few years ago.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/save-t...h/388395197763

And another (been making clothes in China for a long time):
http://www.theresearchpedia.com/rese...of-outsourcing

More - and don't think your bags are handmade - or that even if made in France - aren't made in sweatshops:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...123_91979.html

To quote it: "But underlying the consumers' concern is the lack of transparency; there is no easy way of knowing how each brand is evolving and how each product was manufactured. While the fashion houses are adamant that their brands are the ultimate proof of quality, semi-finished products moving to the traditional European nations to be stamped "Made in France"or "Made in Italy" show that they, too, recognize the trademark's value for customers, justifying their mark-ups. Until then, shoppers are be advised to do more research about exactly what they are purchasing, a hollow glossy image of tradition or a true piece of artisanship"

Last edited:
since you haven't used it and you're not 100% in love with it, i would recommend returning it. especially since it sounds like the tag is something that will continue to bother you if you decide to keep the bag.

For the OP: I would return the bag or exchange it for another you won't have any reservations or concerns about. For the money one pays for LV, you should be 100% satisfied with your purchase.

Charleston-mom: I can tell you're very passionate about this issue and I for one, appreciate your comments and your links.

For the OP: I would return the bag or exchange it for another you won't have any reservations or concerns about. For the money one pays for LV, you should be 100% satisfied with your purchase.

Charleston-mom: I can tell you're very passionate about this issue and I for one, appreciate your comments and your links.

Thanks! I still love LV and will still continue to buy it though! I'm just watching quality very closely is all.

Great articles, CharlestonMom, I think it's also important to consider that even made in France or made in USA bags are being made in factories- not in art studios.

We all envision the artisans sitting in the big fancy studios hand sewing our bags, but that's not really what factories are like. No, our bags are not being hand crafted by designers and artists and craftsmen. They're being mass produced in factories. The US and France factories may have to pay more to their employees, but how much different are they than the Asian factories? I really don't know, I'd be curious to see.

If it were made in France by guest workers, would you not buy it?

Do you need the workers to be French born only?

Can they be French but live and work in China?

Can they be French but first-generation immigrants from Africa?

Must they be multi-generation French born?

Do these answers predict the quality of the bag you will receive?