Joseph Duclos Thread

This past week I finally received my Diane L30. The delivery was quite the ordeal, which if they follow through led JD to establish a relationship with FedEx.

If anyone reading this is considering a total purchase valued over $5k USD I would first inquire as to the shipping carrier. I was completely blown away, as 4 weeks earlier DHL delivered in 3 business days the Ostrich L20 with NO asks for additional information from me. Also note, I regularly have high value parcels shipped to me in the US from overseas via DHL/FedEx/USPS with limited asks for information.

The L30 required an invasive amount of information, and then an intrusive amount of paperwork, which included my US 1040, completely unacceptable IMHO, as I joint file and don't think I should have had to supply my DH's personal information to receive a handbag.

Ultimately, the 7 days I spent satisfying DHL's intrusion into my taxes and identity, when they had just delivered a bag valued at twice this Diane L30, was beyond frustrating.

I would like to say that seeing the L30 erased the bad taste left by DHL but it did not. IMHO the Diane L30 has some design misses and it did not scratch the itch I had thought it would.

I will get some photos uploaded soon for you all to see.
Oh no! That must be so upsetting and I hope that with use/time your Diane grows on you.

Looking forward to seeing her and hearing more about your analysis.

Reactions: Loganz
This past week I finally received my Diane L30. The delivery was quite the ordeal, which if they follow through led JD to establish a relationship with FedEx.

If anyone reading this is considering a total purchase valued over $5k USD I would first inquire as to the shipping carrier. I was completely blown away, as 4 weeks earlier DHL delivered in 3 business days the Ostrich L20 with NO asks for additional information from me. Also note, I regularly have high value parcels shipped to me in the US from overseas via DHL/FedEx/USPS with limited asks for information.

The L30 required an invasive amount of information, and then an intrusive amount of paperwork, which included my US 1040, completely unacceptable IMHO, as I joint file and don't think I should have had to supply my DH's personal information to receive a handbag.

Ultimately, the 7 days I spent satisfying DHL's intrusion into my taxes and identity, when they had just delivered a bag valued at twice this Diane L30, was beyond frustrating.

I would like to say that seeing the L30 erased the bad taste left by DHL but it did not. IMHO the Diane L30 has some design misses and it did not scratch the itch I had thought it would.

so sorry to hear about your shipping experience. looking forward to what you will share more about the L30.

Wow---I'm so sorry to hear about the DHL issues and also your disappointment in the L30. I hope that with time you will love your L30 more---and look forward to hearing your review, regardless.
But would you recommend FedEX for deliveries from JD going forward? It seems that some of the problem is not the carrier but the US government... do you think?
For example, I had a delivery of an expensive medical device from Switzerland that was held up by the customs/government clearance for several days as well---and this was with FedEx. Fortunately I did not have to provide any Tax or SS information...
I'd be interested in others' experiences with shipping a JD bag with DHL vs. FedEx as I just placed an order... but it will be a few months before it is ready.

Wow---I'm so sorry to hear about the DHL issues and also your disappointment in the L30. I hope that with time you will love your L30 more---and look forward to hearing your review, regardless.
But would you recommend FedEX for deliveries from JD going forward? It seems that some of the problem is not the carrier but the US government... do you think?
For example, I had a delivery of an expensive medical device from Switzerland that was held up by the customs/government clearance for several days as well---and this was with FedEx. Fortunately I did not have to provide any Tax or SS information...
I'd be interested in others' experiences with shipping a JD bag with DHL vs. FedEx as I just placed an order... but it will be a few months before it is ready.
Sorry to hear you had something as important as a medical device held. I certainly understand the need to keep import/export safe; I have been shipping automotive parts as an online retailer for 24 years.
with that being said, I have regular/daily deliveries/pickups from FedEx/UPS/USPS at my business address, which is also where all of my personal packages are sent.
To that end, my personal and business information is ON FILE with every carrier, I have done this every year, without fail.
This particular shipment was unnecessarily burdensome, tax returns??? Really?? is that even legal, for a handbag?? I requested numerous times for JD to retrieve the bag and issue me a refund, as my DH was not okay with me providing my tax returns, even though they stated I could redact the financial information.
JD told me they were establishing a relationship with FedEx, who does not require tax returns. Yes, you must provide your SS # and address, and all that jazz, but never a tax return.
Privacy matters, and I am sorry but this is a handbag, NOT a relic, not a prized coin collection, not dangerous goods, NOT exotic leathers/furs.
TBH, I felt silly that a handbag was requiring this, and it felt frivolous and it felt ridiculous, again I restate, I have been shipping globally for 24 years, I know logistics, this was not normal.

So as stated, JD states that they will work with FedEx now for exports to US. I hope this is the case, because DHL is not really the best choice in the US, and that is from my decades of freight experience in the US. FedEx and UPS are just smoother operations, better funded, more suited for high value goods.

TO the bag....the crossbody/shoulder strap is the same skinny strap that is used for L20 and L26, on the L30 it is undersized, it looks funny and is not substantial enough to carry the weight of the bag. JD states they kept the metal off the L30 to keep the weight down. By having gussets, and the interior leather partition the bag is still quite heavy empty. The proportions don't look balanced. It looks like a small briefcase in person, not a fan. I would say I am more partial to a Birkin frame, or a Fendi iseeyou frame, I guess I like a A-frame, lol. This is squat in stature, and the flap is cumbersome, difficult to get into. The top handle is awkward for crossbody, I attached my JD Pat strap (since it is the right width for this bag) and although that looks fine, the bag handle pokes into my ribs and there is no way to open it without pawing all over the flap and then trying to tuck it behind the bag to get at the contents (while wearing it). Due to the nature of the heritage leather I know the marks it will acquire with such handling.

It is sitting in the dustbag right now and I am not sure if I will use it, I don't like briefcases, and once I saw that, I can't unsee it.

I will take pics wearing it and post, as it is just sitting on a dresser you won't see what I am referring to.

Sorry to hear you had something as important as a medical device held. I certainly understand the need to keep import/export safe; I have been shipping automotive parts as an online retailer for 24 years.
with that being said, I have regular/daily deliveries/pickups from FedEx/UPS/USPS at my business address, which is also where all of my personal packages are sent.
To that end, my personal and business information is ON FILE with every carrier, I have done this every year, without fail.
This particular shipment was unnecessarily burdensome, tax returns??? Really?? is that even legal, for a handbag?? I requested numerous times for JD to retrieve the bag and issue me a refund, as my DH was not okay with me providing my tax returns, even though they stated I could redact the financial information.
JD told me they were establishing a relationship with FedEx, who does not require tax returns. Yes, you must provide your SS # and address, and all that jazz, but never a tax return.
Privacy matters, and I am sorry but this is a handbag, NOT a relic, not a prized coin collection, not dangerous goods, NOT exotic leathers/furs.
TBH, I felt silly that a handbag was requiring this, and it felt frivolous and it felt ridiculous, again I restate, I have been shipping globally for 24 years, I know logistics, this was not normal.

So as stated, JD states that they will work with FedEx now for exports to US. I hope this is the case, because DHL is not really the best choice in the US, and that is from my decades of freight experience in the US. FedEx and UPS are just smoother operations, better funded, more suited for high value goods.

TO the bag....the crossbody/shoulder strap is the same skinny strap that is used for L20 and L26, on the L30 it is undersized, it looks funny and is not substantial enough to carry the weight of the bag. JD states they kept the metal off the L30 to keep the weight down. By having gussets, and the interior leather partition the bag is still quite heavy empty. The proportions don't look balanced. It looks like a small briefcase in person, not a fan. I would say I am more partial to a Birkin frame, or a Fendi iseeyou frame, I guess I like a A-frame, lol. This is squat in stature, and the flap is cumbersome, difficult to get into. The top handle is awkward for crossbody, I attached my JD Pat strap (since it is the right width for this bag) and although that looks fine, the bag handle pokes into my ribs and there is no way to open it without pawing all over the flap and then trying to tuck it behind the bag to get at the contents (while wearing it). Due to the nature of the heritage leather I know the marks it will acquire with such handling.

It is sitting in the dustbag right now and I am not sure if I will use it, I don't like briefcases, and once I saw that, I can't unsee it.

I will take pics wearing it and post, as it is just sitting on a dresser you won't see what I am referring to.
I’m so sorry that this has been such an ordeal for you, and that the bag hasn’t lived up to your expectations. I wonder why JD couldn’t manage a cancellation.

Hopefully with a bit of distance from the shipping fiasco you’ll be able to take a fresh look at the bag and see some possibilities. :flowers:

Yes I’m sitting in my closer’s closet on the floor to take these pics, lol

Attachments

• IMG_5272.jpeg
    IMG_5272.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5270.jpeg
    IMG_5270.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5271.jpeg
    IMG_5271.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5269.jpeg
    IMG_5269.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5268.jpeg
    IMG_5268.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 74
@bagnut1 and others who own a Diane messenger, please excuse the following questions if they’ve been asked and answered. What fits in your bag? Does it seem spacious enough for key fobs, card cases, AirPods, and more, without playing Tetris with your things?
Here are photos of what fits in my Diane Messenger. I tend to carry a lot, and the Messenger works well for me. The bag also fits my iPhone pro max, not shown because that’s how I took these photos. 😁

@kipp you can customize the leather and hardware on the Diane messenger. There are more detailed posts earlier on this thread regarding SO pricing, but I believe the up charge is 20%. Quite reasonable.

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2004.jpeg
    IMG_2004.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 23

What a bummer… after all that trouble with shipping to find that finally you dont really care for the bag :frown:
I have to say that when you put the passementerie strap on the L30 it does look good ! I can understand the original strap feeling too skinny for such a large bag.
I’m not a big bag person myself, it would be disproportionate on my frame plus I cant carry the weight of a large bag which of course I would stuff to capacity.
The L30 looks gorgeous sitting on your shelf, do you think you could come around to using it one day ?

I had a thought for a different way of viewing the bag. With your B30 sellier Madam for reference, the Diane might be seen as ‘Kelly meets Delvaux Brilliant GM’, a different hand carry option than the B (tote). I happen to love the Brilliant, especially the vintage versions, and while the GM is a large bag, it doesn’t necessarily read ‘briefcase’ to my eye.

I do agree that while the Passementerie strap is superb, and a vast improvement over the original, crossbody styling isn’t the best option. If returning the bag isn’t possible maybe slotting it as a hand carry in your collection will help. :flowers:

Again so sorry you don't love the bag.

My 2 cents: I don't see a briefcase, I see a large handbag that is extremely elegant and unique. And I agree with @textilegirl that hand carry is probably the best styling but the strap for convenience is fine.

I myself prefer a bigger day bag with a crossbody strap for convenience getting around on foot or transit. But when I show up where I'm going I tend to revert to handheld for top handle bags. (I'm not tall and am aware that some of my bags do wear me, but I'm OK with that.)

Your Diane is a stunning bag. But if you decide you can't live with it, you can always send it to me. :graucho:

@Loganz, thank you for your detailed reply to my post. It was very helpful re the shipping issues.
I'm sorry that you aren't happy with your LDiane30. It is a stunning bag (and you have a stunning bag collection overall), but I can see your points about the strap and the inside partition. You have been a huge supporter of JD so far, and my understanding is that if a bag has not been modified, it can be returned---so have you thought about just sending it back for a refund? JD should be completely be OK with this and probably would not want you to be unhappy with any of their products given your previous relationship with them (and their emphasis on customer service)... Just my 2 cents. Hope that one way or another you can figure out a good way forward re: this bag. 💕

Reactions: Mousy and Loganz
@kipp - thank you for this information. I did express my dissatisfaction and a return was not offered. Now that I read your summary of their policy I’m wondering why? This will prompt me to reach out again.

@bagnut1 - thank you for your perspective. When I see the L30 next to B30 it is smaller, but for some reason it carries larger and is exceptionally heavy. After my motorcycle accident in 2023 I have to be mindful of how much weight I crossbody and hand carry is hard due to nerve damage on left side. Hence my reliance on messenger. Being right handed one does not hand carry with right hand.

Also, this group is about the good and the bad. Whereas I find the l26 edgy and in line with my overall aesthetic I find the l30 too elegant and business like for my wardrobe.

As you can see, yesterday was errand day and it was hoodie, leggings, and men’s LV maxi trainers. Since ny accident I put comfort before couture, lol

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in, this does not change my love for the smaller Diane’s - I’m just not the large bag Diane customer