Workplace Job where I keep changing roles/tasks and while being flexible, can´t move up?

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
Hey Gals,

I´ve been working in the same big company for 11 years. I have always had the same title but very different tasks within the field, moved around quite a fair bit and that way kept myself always challenged, entertained and happy.
But being quite reserved, and lacking self confidence I failed at establishing a clear career path....and moving up.
I´ve opened up to my manager regarding promotions, and took on more clear responsabilities. While my skills are valued, I do not have a clear "expertise" because of moving around so much. He´s supporting me and getting me on a "promotion track" that might take months...or years, but honestly, waking up after this much time...I feel it might never happen and starting to feel down and discouraged, being in the race w people who´ve been here for 4 years, focusing on 1 job/role only.

Can any of you provide me advice on how to either suck it up and just do my best on 1 area, or eventually seek other things outside?

Hey Gals,

I´ve been working in the same big company for 11 years. I have always had the same title but very different tasks within the field, moved around quite a fair bit and that way kept myself always challenged, entertained and happy.
But being quite reserved, and lacking self confidence I failed at establishing a clear career path....and moving up.
I´ve opened up to my manager regarding promotions, and took on more clear responsabilities. While my skills are valued, I do not have a clear "expertise" because of moving around so much. He´s supporting me and getting me on a "promotion track" that might take months...or years, but honestly, waking up after this much time...I feel it might never happen and starting to feel down and discouraged, being in the race w people who´ve been here for 4 years, focusing on 1 job/role only.

Can any of you provide me advice on how to either suck it up and just do my best on 1 area, or eventually seek other things outside?
I see the fact that you've had exposure to a variety of areas as a huge bonus that will serve you well over time. Is there a specific area or two that you feel passionate about? Once you reflect and feel drawn to a specific area or role, think about someone who might already be in that role; all the better if they're a level or more higher. Ask for a copy of that job description and see about refining it or requesting you be reviewed and/or reclassified. And always make sure you're compensated for the extra duties you'll assume.

Another thought is to ask about shadowing someone in a role/position you're considering. Seeing what a day in the life of _______ (fill in the blank) sometimes gives clarity on whether that's a direction you want to go. Whatever you decide, working with your manager and HR to make it official will get you everywhere.

Your company is very lucky to have someone like you who is loyal and willing to be so flexible. Leverage that to gain what you really want, once you know what that is. It might look glamorous that certain folks are subject matter experts but your ability to understand and to speak to a more diverse and broad range of topics makes you that much more valuable.

I see the fact that you've had exposure to a variety of areas as a huge bonus that will serve you well over time. Is there a specific area or two that you feel passionate about? Once you reflect and feel drawn to a specific area or role, think about someone who might already be in that role; all the better if they're a level or more higher. Ask for a copy of that job description and see about refining it or requesting you be reviewed and/or reclassified. And always make sure you're compensated for the extra duties you'll assume.

Another thought is to ask about shadowing someone in a role/position you're considering. Seeing what a day in the life of _______ (fill in the blank) sometimes gives clarity on whether that's a direction you want to go. Whatever you decide, working with your manager and HR to make it official will get you everywhere.

Your company is very lucky to have someone like you who is loyal and willing to be so flexible. Leverage that to gain what you really want, once you know what that is. It might look glamorous that certain folks are subject matter experts but your ability to understand and to speak to a more diverse and broad range of topics makes you that much more valuable.
OMG thank you so much for your reply, I´ve personally been able to see the advantage in being so flexible, been happy that managers call me here and there into their teams when there is a need, and accumulating some cross organization knowledge but feeling discouraged that it can´t show into any clear recognition such as promotion....I´ve actually just been asked this time to fill in temporary for the position of someone who left and who I´d like to replace (she was in a more senior role w the title...). maybe this is it!