Job Fair Attire, Help?

yarbs83

O.G.
Mar 16, 2007
So I know traditionally the 3 piece suiting is the way to go for job fairs/interviews, ect. I'm attending a job fair this week and have a bit of a dilemma. I am continually losing weight - (5-6 lbs a month) lately and so investing in a tailored to me suit just isn't an option right now.

I picked up a few pieces over the weekend and was wondering if I could get some advice on what you would wear to this job fair. I'm a RN in case you were wondering in regards to which field. I don't have any pictures of me trying on the outfits, but I figured I'd post the stock pictures of the items I'm thinking about pairing. Thanks so much!!

I really like the way the poncho/cape looks with the overall outfit and I saw something similar on display at Brooks Brothers (belted), but I'm unsure. If I wore that, I'd wear it with a long sleeve crew neck black top underneath.

The boyfriend blazer is silk and really nice quality, but it's very shapeless and over sized so I'm afraid with a very tailored outfit, it will look out of place. I love it with jeans, ect - but I'm just not sure for this occasion even though it seems the more obvious choice.

I also have a thin, cream sweater I could wear on it's own (not pictured). Any suggestions would be really helpful! The pants, shoes, bag are all fine - I'm just struggling with what to wear up top I suppose :smile:. I want to feel confident and I just don't usually feel that way in suiting pieces that aren't perfect so I am trying to work around it while showing some style and staying professional.

Attachments

• eileenfishersilkboyfriendblazer.jpg
    eileenfishersilkboyfriendblazer.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 317
  • atloftponcho.jpg
    atloftponcho.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 317
  • onpixxiepants.jpg
    onpixxiepants.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 336
  • toryburchsally.jpg
    toryburchsally.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 286
  • aquiltedaffair.jpg
    aquiltedaffair.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 303
So I know traditionally the 3 piece suiting is the way to go for job fairs/interviews, ect. I'm attending a job fair this week and have a bit of a dilemma. I am continually losing weight - (5-6 lbs a month) lately and so investing in a tailored to me suit just isn't an option right now.

I picked up a few pieces over the weekend and was wondering if I could get some advice on what you would wear to this job fair. I'm a RN in case you were wondering in regards to which field. I don't have any pictures of me trying on the outfits, but I figured I'd post the stock pictures of the items I'm thinking about pairing. Thanks so much!!

I really like the way the poncho/cape looks with the overall outfit and I saw something similar on display at Brooks Brothers (belted), but I'm unsure. If I wore that, I'd wear it with a long sleeve crew neck black top underneath.

The boyfriend blazer is silk and really nice quality, but it's very shapeless and over sized so I'm afraid with a very tailored outfit, it will look out of place. I love it with jeans, ect - but I'm just not sure for this occasion even though it seems the more obvious choice.

I also have a thin, cream sweater I could wear on it's own (not pictured). Any suggestions would be really helpful! The pants, shoes, bag are all fine - I'm just struggling with what to wear up top I suppose :smile:. I want to feel confident and I just don't usually feel that way in suiting pieces that aren't perfect so I am trying to work around it while showing some style and staying professional.

I'd say no to both of those-tooccasual looking. The sweater would be good or just a nice blouse. I personally wouldn't use that bag though, the chain strap doesn't seem professional.
Good luck!

If the pants are really cropped like the ones in the photo, that is too casual. Heck No to poncho. Honestly, a good-fitting blazer would be the best. I also think the bag is fashiony and not job interview appropriate, and a more neutral look would be better.

Dressy trousers, closed-toed professional looking shoes, cardigan, and a collared blouse. If the cardigan is too loose, use a thin belt. You don't have to go expensive for suiting material, even separate jacket and trousers found on the cheap will work. It just has to fit well, not necessarily be tailored. This is your first impression with the people you hand in applications and resumes to, you want your personality and experience to be what they remember, not your outfit. If you look like you're ready to work, it's more favorable towards you.

ETA: A neutral work tote is better than the bag you posted. They will be handing out information and paperwork there, you should also carry a folder/portfolio with copies of your resume/paperwork on you to hand to them. That bag does not seem appropriate for a job fair.

ditto on everything said here. Being a job fair, you don't need a matchy matchy suit. I think your pants are ok, with your shoes, if you have a nice pedicure (stay with neutral color). A nice blouse would work, if it's still warm where you live.

I agree. A blouse or your cream sweater would probably work. I think the blazer is cut a bit too loose (not form fitting enough), so it's too casual. I also wouldn't go with a poncho.

I feel all these pieces are too casual. Definitely no to the poncho, and the blazer - though nice quality - needs to be a fitted, tailored cut rather than the boyfriend style. Black pants are fine, but those in the picture are too cropped and casual. Shoes should be closed toed, and I would choose a bag that was more low key.

You don't need to wear a three piece suit (I never do), but you do need to present yourself in a more professional way.

Black pants (longer and of the right fabric) with a blouse or dressy sweater, or you could pair a skirt with a blouse or sweater, too. A dress is another choice. I would then select a sleek and simple plain black bag and plain closed toed shoes. You could also wear a blazer and nice shell with black pants.

Dressy trousers, closed-toed professional looking shoes, cardigan, and a collared blouse.

ETA: A neutral work tote is better than the bag you posted. They will be handing out information and paperwork there, you should also carry a folder/portfolio with copies of your resume/paperwork on you to hand to them. That bag does not seem appropriate for a job fair.

As other posted as well the blazer, poncho (big NO NO!), and bag are not appropriate.
I also second the cardigan or blouse. The trousers and shoes are fine. I would also make sure the shoes are professional yet comfortable--as you may be walking and standing a lot during this job fair.

Also second regarding the bag. I would recommend a structured tote since you should have copies of your resume. It would not even hurt to bring your certs/license with you.

If it helps I work in HR @ a hospital. I've seen people show up dressed for "da club" for job interviews (stripper heels longer than the dress). And if at the bare minimum, as a last resort I would recommend wearing your best pair of scrubs (if your position would require it ie RN, CNA, PT).

Yes I agree with all the above - a huge NO NO NO to the poncho :nogood: handbag and blazer you've selected.

A pair of trousers, that finish at the ankle with classic court high heels (no stripper esq styles). A plain Equipment signature style blouse with a nice necklace. Equipment is pricey but check Vince Camuto and Zara for similar styles. And/or a classic fitted single breast blazer (check Zara). And a nice plain structured tote bag.

Echo everyone above.

Call me traditional but I love the way suit skirts (preferably matching) looks with a simple top underneath (doesn't have to be collared). I also enjoy the look of a suit dress with a simple blazer over.

I think a blazer is a great investment, even if you are in the process of losing weight, it could be worth it to purchase something on sale (e.g. Macys with coupons, etc.) to wear for now.

Shoes, people probably won't notice as much as your overall outfit. Although I like pumps for work.