Jewelry trends

@Pevi in another thread that I was reading, you said that prior the pandemic that wearing/buying only fine jewelry was very important to you though now you've bought a few relatively inexpensive costume pieces lately. Is most of your fine jewelry mostly classic or do you branch out into trends too?

I find that, with Covid, necklaces are the pieces that feel safest to wear. I’ve been wearing necklaces more than in the past, and it’s made me want to stack more! But I’m starting to see chunkier pieces instead of multiple fine necklaces
What about stacking chains, narrow chains for the most part, a couple have a moderate (not large, not small) pendant which go well together color-wise and theme-wise. I have the chains from the past. It would be hard to get a chunky chair (big gold or silver links) that comes to about 17 or 18 inches. I just don't see those things available. A big chain is a statement. Don't think I want that.

Thank you! another Reason I bought the oversized mixed chain and four pendants was because I wanted a substantial chain to use for my own pendants (esp, an antique vintage aquamarine one that I almost never wear bc it’s on a strand of similar aquamarines and a torso pendant that’s heavy). I liked the idea of mixing different combos together.

so yes, chunky is in, but I wore it when it wasn’t. @papertiger mentioned pearls, I have a lot, but the ones she meant were semi baroque freshwater on white gold chain that my independent jeweler customized for me.

pics are cross posted from what other jewelry designers do you wear (VCA subforum); Foundrae thread; and jewelry of the day thread

View attachment 5317036View attachment 5317037View attachment 5317038View attachment 5317039View attachment 5317040 View attachment 5317041
These are all pretty and versatile. Especially like the white gemstone flower pendant with the interesting chain links. I've seen looks like that that before, but I'm blanking on who makes them. Certainly adds a contemporary touch to the necklace -- a regular chain of small links would be boring. (IMO).

Turning to the other pix, I see you've used it for all your pendant variations. Would like to know who makes that chain, PM if you like. It's a good look.

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
@Pevi in another thread that I was reading, you said that prior the pandemic that wearing/buying only fine jewelry was very important to you though now you've bought a few relatively inexpensive costume pieces lately. Is most of your fine jewelry mostly classic or do you branch out into trends too?
I would say my costume jewelry is trendy! Except for a few moissanite pieces that are pretty classic, all my new costume jewelry is very now: paperclip bracelet and Necklace, herringbone necklace, 10k letter pendant (I’m kicking myself, I actually love this), a couple of murano pieces…
I also bought a rose gold Michele watch so I bought stainless steel bracelets in rose gold to try the color, and while I love the bracelets, I think I will stick with mainly yellow gold.

• Love
Thank you! another Reason I bought the oversized mixed chain and four pendants was because I wanted a substantial chain to use for my own pendants (esp, an antique vintage aquamarine one that I almost never wear bc it’s on a strand of similar aquamarines and a torso pendant that’s heavy). I liked the idea of mixing different combos together.

so yes, chunky is in, but I wore it when it wasn’t. @papertiger mentioned pearls, I have a lot, but the ones she meant were semi baroque freshwater on white gold chain that my independent jeweler customized for me.

pics are cross posted from what other jewelry designers do you wear (VCA subforum); Foundrae thread; and jewelry of the day thread

View attachment 5317036View attachment 5317037View attachment 5317038View attachment 5317039View attachment 5317040 View attachment 5317041
How did I miss this post…love everything! :heart:

• Thanks
What about stacking chains, narrow chains for the most part, a couple have a moderate (not large, not small) pendant which go well together color-wise and theme-wise. I have the chains from the past. It would be hard to get a chunky chair (big gold or silver links) that comes to about 17 or 18 inches. I just don't see those things available. A big chain is a statement. Don't think I want that.
About stacking, ive tried stacking necklaces and it always gets entangled. And i worry about stacking gold and platinum because i heard it can rub off each other. I tried stacking my bracelets and i worry every single time especially when i hear them make sounds. Im like “oh no how much gold got rubbed off? “ so i try putting one jewelry at a time

About stacking, ive tried stacking necklaces and it always gets entangled. And i worry about stacking gold and platinum because i heard it can rub off each other. I tried stacking my bracelets and i worry every single time especially when i hear them make sounds. Im like “oh no how much gold got rubbed off? “ so i try putting one jewelry at a time
I don't recall combining gold bracelets with silver and I don't have any platinum bracelets. I guess I never thought about gold getting slightly worn off at the edges where it rubbed something else. Wearing brass might be an alternative to gold, especially if the brass is kept polished. Some people never remove their bracelets and then I can see some degree of wear happening.

My stack is loose even tho there are a number of Georg Jensen bangles which wear well but are thin. By comparison I have about 3 somewhat fat chains at the end of the stack, toward my elbow. A couple of these probably came from Indonesia 20 years ago and have a bit of a Yurman look. Because the stack is loose, the bangles and chains slide up and down my forearm, together they are not too hot to wear during the summer.

The chains tangle some when I remove them, especially if I remove them all at once. That's a tad annoying. But when I wear them all, they don't tangle. Two each have a small pendant at the bottom and maybe that stops them from tangling. One of these is an older Lois Hill chain which has small beaded stations, ending in a small ornate cross. Lois did good work during the 80s and 90s. The chain always looks bright, like it never tarnishes.

I probably wear these chains and bracelets the most of anything I have.

• Love
Reactions: craziness and 880
I don't recall combining gold bracelets with silver and I don't have any platinum bracelets. I guess I never thought about gold getting slightly worn off at the edges where it rubbed something else. Wearing brass might be an alternative to gold, especially if the brass is kept polished. Some people never remove their bracelets and then I can see some degree of wear happening.

My stack is loose even tho there are a number of Georg Jensen bangles which wear well but are thin. By comparison I have about 3 somewhat fat chains at the end of the stack, toward my elbow. A couple of these probably came from Indonesia 20 years ago and have a bit of a Yurman look. Because the stack is loose, the bangles and chains slide up and down my forearm, together they are not too hot to wear during the summer.

The chains tangle some when I remove them, especially if I remove them all at once. That's a tad annoying. But when I wear them all, they don't tangle. Two each have a small pendant at the bottom and maybe that stops them from tangling. One of these is an older Lois Hill chain which has small beaded stations, ending in a small ornate cross. Lois did good work during the 80s and 90s. The chain always looks bright, like it never tarnishes.

I probably wear these chains and bracelets the most of anything I have.
Have you tried putting rings in a couple of your fingers? I do stack a solitaire and a trinity ring but it should be on my middle finger. I tried putting one on my index finger and i always bump it into something. And no ring fits my pinky lol. Its always been one finger either the middle or the ring finger but never on 2 or more fingers

• Insightful
Turning to the other pix, I see you've used it for all your pendant variations. Would like to know who makes that chain, PM if you like. It's a good look.

I just saw this inquiry :smile: The chain is Foundrae; i think it’s called oversized Mixed chain. It was very pricy (for me at least), in fact, I nearly vetoed it solely bc of price. But, DH really loved it; he actually picked it. And, I had been looking for years for a chain that could carry some of my heavier pendants (my borrocal torso pendant is heavy). This one was the first one that felt strong yet still had some open air qualities. i dont have an issue with mixing fine and costume jewelry, and I was also looking at Etsy. Of course, when I was in London, I realized that perhaps I could have bought an antique watch fob chain and had it altered, but I’m happy with what I have. Not sure if a watch chain would have been much less as the cost of gold has gone up quite a bit.

would love to see action pics of your necklaces and bracelets. They sound fabulous. I also love georg jensen :smile:

Last edited:
Have you tried putting rings in a couple of your fingers? I do stack a solitaire and a trinity ring but it should be on my middle finger. I tried putting one on my index finger and i always bump it into something. And no ring fits my pinky lol. Its always been one finger either the middle or the ring finger but never on 2 or more fingers
Every year I have to resize 2 or 3 of my rings b/c I either gained or lost some weight (lately it's the latter, thankfully) or the knuckle gets a smaller or slightly larger. Drives me nuts. Some rings have fit for years but I can't figure out what's so different between them and the rings that go up and down. I do use "sizers," I believe that's what they're called. They are a horseshoe shaped slightly springy metal soldered to the inside bottom of the ring shank. Those seem to accommodate slight changes in my ring size without requiring sizing.

It's my understanding that I shouldn't size rings too often, I guess it can weaken them structurally (I don't swear to this, but it's possible). Plus, if the ring can't be sized any more without weakening it, the jeweler will recommend putting on a new shank. That's a bit expensive.

Back in the day, I might have crashed into filing cabinets with my hand but the rings are ok. You can get rings with protective settings. Stones that are prone to chipping (supposedly zircon is, although I've never seen a chipped zircon ring) should have a rim of gold around it, which is called a bezel setting.

I do not stack rings as a rule b/c I like chunky ones, real honkers. Will even wear costume rings (Knuckle dusters") to get that effect. I have a tiny set of stacking rings from the 70s, one set with a small crumb of coral, the other malachite, and the last, lapis. Typically I get them sized so they stack up nicely on my pinky with each crumb lining up horizontally across the set. The last ring I put on has to be the tightest. I rarely put on this set for obvious reasons altho it is a cute ring when all is said and done.

I like rings tight so they don't come flying off when I wear a glove. If push comes to shove, I put wrap some tape around the bottom of the ring so it stays on at least temporarily.

Reactions: Etriers and 880
I just saw this inquiry :smile: The chain is Foundrae; i think it’s called oversized Mixed chain. It was very pricy (for me at least), in fact, I nearly vetoed it solely bc of price. But, DH really loved it; he actually picked it. And, I had been looking for years for a chain that could carry some of my heavier pendants (my borrocal torso pendant is heavy). This one was the first one that felt strong yet still had some open air qualities. i dont have an issue with mixing fine and costume jewelry, and I was also looking at Etsy. Of course, when I was in London, I realized that perhaps I could have bought an antique watch fob chain and had it altered, but I’m happy with what I have. Not sure if a watch chain would have been much less as the cost of gold has gone up quite a bit.

would love to see action pics of your necklaces and bracelets. They sound fabulous. I also love georg jensen :smile:
The GJ bangles are well made and hold up. I recently got a GJ link bracelet that I followed for years (I have long wish lists :smile:). By the time I got it it was the last one. Asked SA to lengthen the links so the bracelet measured 7.5 inches. Well, she got some tiny tiny clamp, a type I've never seen before, and used 3 tiny round closures (don't know the correct name, they were not lobster clasp) to extend the length. The extended link was definitely weak and flimsy. So, it's out for repair until it's able to become a sturdy part of my stack. When that comes back to me later in the month I'll take a pix of the stax.

Am I missing a picture of something from your prior post. Will post what I said thus far and check what you said.

• Insightful
Reactions: Etriers and 880
Am I missing a picture of something from your prior post. Will post what I said thus far and check what you said.
@eagle1002us , thanks! Pic 4 and 5 of my prior post #24 with pics show the borrocal pendant and the aquamarine pendant (non Foundrae pieces)
I do think it may be possible to find an antique watch fob chain or a gold filled one from Etsy (what I was inclined to do, but DH loved the Foundrae chain)

I'm going to dissent here.

I think that the trends at the beginning of the year were towards big chunky gold pieces.

But there is still a Pandemic, and now war, which creates awful things like famine, relocations, destruction, etc. and reduces the market for luxuries.

The sanctions also tanked a lot of monied "influencers" who pushed wealth-based trends (like giant chunky gold).

My predictions:

Thin chains (layered), small stones. Ceramice, mosaic. Things that are cheaper to make.

Still on trend: the houses and their iconic pieces: VCA VA's, Cartier Love and JuC

When I look at what is for sale, I see MOP making a BIG statement in pieces from Roberto Coin, Ippolita, even DY.
I see thin, darn near invisible chains.

I see lots of sales ongoing.

I don't think for the general public, jewelry is going to be a priority this year with the economy and as such, I expect trends to turn towards pieces that are more affordable to make, with easier to procure materials.

So, small stones, maybe put together to make larger pieces, thin chains, stacking still popular, big push for ceramics.

And lots of gold plated silver with diamonds or other small stones.