Jean Crossbody

dissyg

Jan 23, 2019
Just got this today. I saw the smaller size in black at my local Nordstrom, but it was just too small for me and I ended up getting something else. Out of curiosity, I checked the website and it turned out there was also a medium size. The red was on sale, and I didn’t have a red bag yet so I figured, why not? I hadn’t seen anyone else talk about the Jean Crossbody on the forum so I figured I’d post a review.

It’s in “caviar leather”. It feels very stiff and solid - almost plasticky, but not quite. It feels darn near indestructible. Not going to be worried about scratching it or anything like that. The bag is very structured and doesn’t bend much - the top flap doesn’t even want to open all the way.

It’s a medium size bag, but the inside is smaller than it looks, because the bottom and sides fold in and the leather is so stiff. One picture shows my wallet taking up pretty much a whole compartment. Another shows my iPad mini - it looks like it should fit, and it technically does, but I have to force it and it warps the bag a bit if I do. This is a bag to carry the basics - wallet, keys, phone, maybe some makeup and other small items, and not much more.

Quality-wise, the leather feels really tough, like I said, and the hardware feels substantial and solid. There’s no zippers or other finicky stuff - just the top loops where the strap attaches, and the ring that functions as a closure. The strap is nice and comfortable, and technically adjustable, but adjusting the strap longer doesn’t really work - it just makes the strap look weird since the flap won’t lay smoothly over the knobs. The stitching on the bag seems secure, but is messy and uneven in spots.

Overall it’s a cute most-occasions kind of bag. The sale price was reasonable and it doesn’t seem to be the kind of fussy bag that you have to baby and take special care of.

80A39FFB-9080-4171-8FAC-F7E1D4E25072.jpeg D4FC6D17-0CC4-432F-81B9-9222A7A2ABC1.jpeg C5E7F285-D3C0-428E-A9D9-F27F5B7DDE86.jpeg AA30CC73-2D3C-4155-A301-8279ECF04A38.jpeg D3AC9218-51F5-4D90-BAD1-E73BC2685383.jpeg 81088080-9469-4FC1-B349-1D4152C56D02.jpeg 1F8C564C-8ADB-4332-ACE1-E15C19E900EC.jpeg 7CF5FB66-E9DA-4723-8032-742B355FCCB3.jpeg 5C38AFE7-1D4E-4703-9B68-A58B64BD887C.jpeg 5B89D065-CEEF-4C5F-8161-C441A95D93A2.jpeg

Just got this today. I saw the smaller size in black at my local Nordstrom, but it was just too small for me and I ended up getting something else. Out of curiosity, I checked the website and it turned out there was also a medium size. The red was on sale, and I didn’t have a red bag yet so I figured, why not? I hadn’t seen anyone else talk about the Jean Crossbody on the forum so I figured I’d post a review.

It’s in “caviar leather”. It feels very stiff and solid - almost plasticky, but not quite. It feels darn near indestructible. Not going to be worried about scratching it or anything like that. The bag is very structured and doesn’t bend much - the top flap doesn’t even want to open all the way.

It’s a medium size bag, but the inside is smaller than it looks, because the bottom and sides fold in and the leather is so stiff. One picture shows my wallet taking up pretty much a whole compartment. Another shows my iPad mini - it looks like it should fit, and it technically does, but I have to force it and it warps the bag a bit if I do. This is a bag to carry the basics - wallet, keys, phone, maybe some makeup and other small items, and not much more.

Quality-wise, the leather feels really tough, like I said, and the hardware feels substantial and solid. There’s no zippers or other finicky stuff - just the top loops where the strap attaches, and the ring that functions as a closure. The strap is nice and comfortable, and technically adjustable, but adjusting the strap longer doesn’t really work - it just makes the strap look weird since the flap won’t lay smoothly over the knobs. The stitching on the bag seems secure, but is messy and uneven in spots.

Overall it’s a cute most-occasions kind of bag. The sale price was reasonable and it doesn’t seem to be the kind of fussy bag that you have to baby and take special care of.

View attachment 4321675 View attachment 4321676 View attachment 4321677 View attachment 4321678 View attachment 4321679 View attachment 4321680 View attachment 4321681 View attachment 4321682 View attachment 4321684 View attachment 4321685
Looks lovely! It's a RM? I'd love to see this in person but I'm not in the US. I'll try to look for this in an upscale dept. store here. This would make a great on-the-go and fuzz-free bag :smile: Thanks for sharing!

Looks lovely! It's a RM? I'd love to see this in person but I'm not in the US. I'll try to look for this in an upscale dept. store here. This would make a great on-the-go and fuzz-free bag :smile: Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, it's an RM. I got it off her website - originally I was planning on getting the medium size in black, but the red was on sale and the black wasn't.

Technically, the "Jean Crossbody" is the smaller one (didn't realize until I checked the website just now). I bought the "Jean Medium Shoulder Bag." There's also a clutch, a WOC, a backpack, and a belt bag version of the same style. There are a bunch of different colors and materials, and some are on sale on the website right now while others are full price.

I hope you can find one to see in person :smile: I never would have got mine otherwise. I like the design in pictures, but I'm not actually normally a big fan of RM and I wouldn't have bought it unless I'd already felt the leather and hardware in person and known how solid it was.

Reactions: LVintage_LVoe
Yeah, it's an RM. I got it off her website - originally I was planning on getting the medium size in black, but the red was on sale and the black wasn't.

Technically, the "Jean Crossbody" is the smaller one (didn't realize until I checked the website just now). I bought the "Jean Medium Shoulder Bag." There's also a clutch, a WOC, a backpack, and a belt bag version of the same style. There are a bunch of different colors and materials, and some are on sale on the website right now while others are full price.

I hope you can find one to see in person :smile: I never would have got mine otherwise. I like the design in pictures, but I'm not actually normally a big fan of RM and I wouldn't have bought it unless I'd already felt the leather and hardware in person and known how solid it was.
The dept. store is a bit far from my place but I'm scheduled to go somewhere near that area this 1st week of Feb. So I'm looking forward to that and hoping there is a Jean crossbody there and also hoping it's on sale. Haha! Thanks dissyg for all the info [emoji4]

Thanks for this review! I noticed the new Jean on the RM website in white with multi color strap and really like it! Knowing that it is caviar-type stiff leather makes me think it will be easier to keep clean.

View attachment 4321675 View attachment 4321676 View attachment 4321677 View attachment 4321678 View attachment 4321679 View attachment 4321680 View attachment 4321681 View attachment 4321682 View attachment 4321684 View attachment 4321685

Divine! Leather, color, everything!! Love it!

I'm 2 years late but I would love to hear how this bag held up for you! I love it, but I wish the edge coating on the sides was more precise. There still are almost no posts here about this bag!