JAN/FEB our new Bal acquisitions!

Yes, if you’re tall! :lol:
As a shortie I can’t do long strap/cross body bags. Thats why I’m glad this strap can be shortened so much - just wish there was a way to hide or even fasten the access leather. Thankfully because the leather is so thin & light, it lies pretty flat
I’m 5’1”, this is the flat brass. The straps are nowhere near as long as the non-flat brass bags.

Reactions: iluvmybags
Was the strap on your Besace shortened? Or were they using shorter straps with the flat brass HW?
or any Bal expert, please weigh in! Why is this? Are the Besace and Hobo actually two different styles with different strap lengths? If so, which is which? 🆘:sos:

Not an expert, but I think Besace vs. Hobo are definitely two "different" bags, with the difference being the strap's length and having a weight distributor. I mean, they have different style numbers...

Besace's strap has the shoulder rest/weight distributer vs. Hobo doesn't.

Besace has a long strap (and you can wear cross body) vs. Hobo isn't long enough to wear crossbody (maybe if you're quite petite though!).

Besace is raised hardware vs. Hobo is FB.

Here's a photo of the 3rd Season (I think) Monk "Besace" crossbody vs. 2nd Season FB "Hobo" on my shoulder, fwiw...

IMG_5380.jpg vs. IMG_4583.jpg

The Besace is super comfortable crossbody, since there's more length to adjust the strap more.

At 5'5.75", I could wear the 2nd (or 3rd) Season Hobo crossbody (when the strap is at its longest), but it looks weird, is super uncomfortable and doesn't feel natural.

"Besace" (according to Google) means "long bag, open in the middle and whose ends form two pockets."

I also use the names interchangeably, because the "Hobo" doesn't look like what I think a hobo bag is supposed to look like.

Unsure how much this post added, but idk, maybe it's useful...? ahaha

Not an expert, but I think Besace vs. Hobo are definitely two "different" bags, with the difference being the strap's length and having a weight distributor. I mean, they have different style numbers...

Besace's strap has the shoulder rest/weight distributer vs. Hobo doesn't.

Besace has a long strap (and you can wear cross body) vs. Hobo isn't long enough to wear crossbody (maybe if you're quite petite though!).

Besace is raised hardware vs. Hobo is FB.

Here's a photo of the 3rd Season (I think) Monk "Besace" crossbody vs. 2nd Season FB "Hobo" on my shoulder, fwiw...

View attachment 5952836 vs. View attachment 5952837

The Besace is super comfortable crossbody, since there's more length to adjust the strap more.

At 5'5.75", I could wear the 2nd (or 3rd) Season Hobo crossbody (when the strap is at its longest), but it looks weird, is super uncomfortable and doesn't feel natural.

"Besace" (according to Google) means "long bag, open in the middle and whose ends form two pockets."

I also use the names interchangeably, because the "Hobo" doesn't look like what I think a hobo bag is supposed to look like.

Unsure how much this post added, but idk, maybe it's useful...? ahaha
Lovely! Now I feel like finding one now.

Reactions: protein_
Maroon Pick-stitch City from F/W 2016. I expected to take a look and feel and quickly return this, but it’s a keeper. Somehow the photos made the leather look stiff and unremarkable/unpettable. Not so. The leather is soft and pliable, baby’s bottom soft.

Color is impossible to capture. It’s halfway between brown and burgundy red. I was surprised to find that the short stitches are metal (long vertical ones in the sides are thread).

*Edited* to correct the name.

IMG_2504.jpegIMG_2502.jpeg

Last edited:
Maroon Whipstitch City from F/W 2016. I expected to take a look and feel and quickly return this, but it’s a keeper. Somehow the photos made the leather look stiff and unremarkable/unpettable. Not so. The leather is soft and pliable, baby’s bottom soft.

Color is impossible to capture. It’s halfway between brown and burgundy red. I was surprised to find that the short stitches are metal (long vertical ones in the sides are thread).

View attachment 5953631View attachment 5953632
From what I inderstand it’s called a pick-stitch.

Maroon Whipstitch City from F/W 2016. I expected to take a look and feel and quickly return this, but it’s a keeper. Somehow the photos made the leather look stiff and unremarkable/unpettable. Not so. The leather is soft and pliable, baby’s bottom soft.

View attachment 5953631View attachment 5953632

Super cool looking! Had no idea the stitching was metal on these either and assumed it was thread so was staying clear away from them. Now that I know... :graucho::graucho::graucho::graucho:

The More You Know Fun GIF by megan lockhart

• Thanks
Reactions: Deco