J Crew ~aholics Thread!

Have any of you ladies purchased any of the suiting in super 120? I love the schoolboy blazer but not sure how the 1035 or Sidney jacket compares.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Yup, I have tried all three of those jackets and bought the schoolboy (now known as the "classic" style because they made another schoolboy with a longer length F/W 2013) and the 1035 from this past fall 2013. I ordered the Sidney and then returned it because I thought the bracelet-length sleeves would be too trendy and look dated - IMHO, not necessarily something I would want in a suit since I only need like 1-2 in my life.

The Schoolboy is a good blazer that can go with a variety of pants and skirts. I think the shorter length helps it to not look too frumpy or long when worn with a skirt. I own the Schoolboy in Modern Red, Festival Blue, and the purple, all from F/W 2012. Since I live in Texas, I wear them mostly only in the winter, sometimes fall, with a pearls, a shell, and slim ankle-length black pants. Easy dressy professional work outfit. I save my louder style for days I don't have a training or presentation.

The 1035 on the other hand, is a very classic suit jacket. Longer of the suiting jackets available and IMHO, works best with pants. It can be worn with a skirt, but it feels a bit too long in the torso when styled this way.

The Sidney is a short jacket, like the Audrey (a previous style, classic cut), but with bracelet-length sleeves (i.e. 3-quarter length sleeves. I think it's length is similar to the Schoolboy, but I didn't compare the two. It wasn't a bad jacket, just not what I was looking for in a classic suit.

I really like the Super 120s fabric over the stretch whatever the other fabric is, because of the look of the knit. I do not need many suits for my work and had only previously owned ones from Petite Sophisticate (yeah, remember that store?) and Banana Republic, so I can only compare it to Banana Republic's suiting equivalent of the 1035 in their Italian light-weight wool and I personally think the Super 120s knit it more fine and better looking than BR's Italian light-weight wool. I travelled with this suit to Europe and it only wrinkled a little bit, but granted, it was trapped in a travel garment bag inside my lost luggage for a good 5 days before I received my luggage and could hang it up.

If you're looking for a good solid suit that won't break the bank (too hard, at least, compared to say, Theory or designer), the J.Crew Super 120s suit. Sizing was the same for me in all jackets. Depending on your height, I could recommend the 1035 for a taller lady, and the Schoolboy/Sidney for a short lady or those looking for a shorter jacket. HTH!

:biggrin: I think I just got lucky cause it was after Christmas but I always Google for promo codes, click the first two links and try some of them. Most of the time they work.

Their online promo codes are always on the front and above the banner of their site. You probably caught one of their frequent 40% off sale codes. They offer an extra percentage off sale code almost every 1-2 weeks and the same goes for the brick & mortar stores.

Sounds about right. The sellers location is Forest, VA which according to google maps is only a 20min drive from Lynchburg. Wouldn't be surprised if she bought out the whole factory clearance store and is now selling for a profit on Ebay! Although her prices aren't too bad, especially considering most of us are located nowhere near a clearance center!

Forest is actually in Lynchburg (at least the part where Jcrew is located). I worked there for a couple years a while back and there were/still are plenty of people that would go to the clearance store to buy items solely for their eBay stores. Prices at the clearance store here in Lynchburg/forest are still relatively high though. The best time they get deals would be when they have the warehouse sample sales (just had one this weekend) and their items are literally dirt cheap except that you have to go digging for them. So yeah, some people make a really good killing from sales

Layered some of my favorite J. Crew pieces on my blog today! www.callmejblog.com
photo_1-4.jpg

I just got the Sabrina double cloth coat in Ivory for 200$ less than the original price. It's possibly one of the most beautiful coats I've ever had. I've had so many compliments on it esp. from women I know who are unbelievably picky.

I got that in Camel earlier this season. I also get a lot of compliments. I didn't get as much of a discount, but still got a good price. What color did you get?

How is the sizing on the Sabrina coat?
I tried a cocoon coat in store and wear a 4 comfortably, but the cocoon is supposed to be a little oversized.

Also, is the double cloth a heavy fabric? I like the Stadium because it seems to be good for layering, I am hesitant on getting a heavy coat because our past couple of winters here in CA have been warm.

Hi ladies, I've been lusting over the stadium cocoon coat but I'm so confused about what size to order! Im from Australia and normally wear a size 8. I think I would need a petite size as I'm quite short but have no idea what size to get! Can anyone help with the conversion or measurements? Thanks so much :smile:

I tried a cocoon coat in store and wear a 4 comfortably, but the cocoon is supposed to be a little oversized.

Also, is the double cloth a heavy fabric? I like the Stadium because it seems to be good for layering, I am hesitant on getting a heavy coat because our past couple of winters here in CA have been warm.

The sizing of the coat is a tiny bit oversized. If your regular size is a 4, I would go with that. I also tried on the cocoon coat in a 4, but did not like the look. I ordered a 4P in this jacket so the sleeves wouldn't be too long. I wouldn't say the double cloth is heavy fabric, but I live in Chicago and this Winter has been brutal. I haven't been able to wear it as much because I would consider it one of my lighter jackets considering the weather. I would say that it is probably best to wear this jacket in between temps of 45-50 F as a high and a low of 32 F (that may even be pushing it).

Hi ladies, I've been lusting over the stadium cocoon coat but I'm so confused about what size to order! Im from Australia and normally wear a size 8. I think I would need a petite size as I'm quite short but have no idea what size to get! Can anyone help with the conversion or measurements? Thanks so much :smile:

Do you know what your sizes in other J. Crew items are?

I have a US size 6 in last year's Schoolboy blazer and it is snug, but I've been taking a small or size 4 in many of their recent tees and blouses. I tried the Cocoon in a US size 4 and it fit comfortably, still roomy although slightly short for the sleeves (I am 5'6"/1.67 meters and have long arms and a fairly broad back), so I personally would probably get the Cocoon in a Tall US size 4. I have read other reviews/forums that also say to size down, so you probably should get one size down from your other J. Crew items in petite.

If you are petite definately get the petite size. It is a bit oversized. I think it depends on how you want to wear it. I live in Washington where its cold most of the time so it had to be big enough to wear over sweaters. It is heavy. However I am only 5 foot 2 and got the regular and it is too long on me. It still looks okay but wish I had gotten the petite.

Bought a few things on sale but I am very ready for a new collection! Hoping it pops up online in the next day or so.

I have friends with the cocoon and they all sized down. I personally felt it have me no shape (5'2" 125lbs).