It's almost 2008...

guccidiva

Feb 10, 2007
ANother decade is going by :girlsigh: I noticed there is a thread here about the 90's fashion and thought it would be cool to hear from everyone what defines the first decade of this century fashion-wise. What do you guys think? Is this decade very different from the 90's? To me it is, b/c 90s were a bit less girly and now there is all these cinched waists and platform heels.

I think fashion evolves, and designers are always pushing the envelope. This decade saw the rise of new Asian designers like Phillip Lim, Derek Lam designing for their own lines and big Italian companies respectively. Silhouettes have seen changes and new developments. But of course, there's always the resurfacing of 90s trends, and it's clear that the older trends of the 40s and 50s are resurfacing. Like the cinched waists that you mentioned, I think it's a throw back to the times when corsets were common.

Some of the most impressive and more to-date trends are like the skinny jeans, high-waisted trousers, the return of Hollywood glamour, smart tailoring, the neon coloured dresses (like Lanvin's great palette, Prada's colour graduation), etc. Clearly, platform heels are what people love and want now - think YSL's tribute mary janes, Louboutin, Fendi and Dior for their current season's platform heels.

The decade ?? Much much more feminine styles. Loud feminine : Big accessories, colors, satin, glitter, metallic. defined shapes, body hugging/showing clothes. Tight.