Item not as described - what to do?

mimibajiduh

Jun 11, 2009
i got a pair of vintage chanel earrings and the listing said that they are in like new condition. i understand that since its vintage, its not going to be brand spankin new but since the seller listed it in like new condition, i wasnt expecting a few discolored spots on the front of one of the earrings. can i get some money back from the seller because of this? what are some other options?

I don't understand it when sellers list items "like new" and "vintage" together. They don't fit well with each other. I'm sure you can open a SNAD case unless the listing stated that there were a few discolored areas on the earrings and is shown clearly in the photos provided. Talk to your seller first about your concerns and work it out.

If you're unhappy with them, I would simply contact the seller and ask for a return, stating the undisclosed spots as the reason. I'm not usually a fan of asking for a partial refund, unless it's clear that the money will go towards "fixing" the undisclosed flaw; loose threading on a bag, or a tear on a garment, for instance. If the spots could be removed by a jeweler, you might ask for the seller to refund whatever the jeweler's fee would be.

the seller told me that i can send the earrings back because she has another buyer that is interested or that i can go buy polish and apply it to the earrings to get rid of the spots.

I don't understand it when sellers list items "like new" and "vintage" together. They don't fit well with each other. I'm sure you can open a SNAD case unless the listing stated that there were a few discolored areas on the earrings and is shown clearly in the photos provided. Talk to your seller first about your concerns and work it out.

i dont understand it either. oh yeah by the way, when i contacted the seller about this, she said that there werent any spots in the pictures she has and it probably got like that from the handling. i was like ...does this person think i am that dumb? i dont want to return the earrings because i really like them but the fact that there were spots on the item bothers me because i feel like the seller hid that in the listing.

i got a pair of vintage chanel earrings and the listing said that they are in like new condition. i understand that since its vintage, its not going to be brand spankin new but since the seller listed it in like new condition, i wasnt expecting a few discolored spots on the front of one of the earrings. can i get some money back from the seller because of this? what are some other options?

Were the spots visible on the computer screen when you looked at the photos, or did you bid from a hand held type device? (if you look at small pictures, you really can't see the details clearly)

Were they gold or silver? In some cases, any cleaning can alter the original surface of the item and actually devalue it from the point of view of a collector.

It's entirely possible for vintage earrings to be unworn, I have seen lots of them. So the description of Vintage and like new can be correct.

If you're unhappy with them, I would simply contact the seller and ask for a return, stating the undisclosed spots as the reason. I'm not usually a fan of asking for a partial refund, unless it's clear that the money will go towards "fixing" the undisclosed flaw; loose threading on a bag, or a tear on a garment, for instance. If the spots could be removed by a jeweler, you might ask for the seller to refund whatever the jeweler's fee would be.

I am with Iris on this one. Not a fan of partials. Better to get the refund and return the item exactly in the condition you received.

BUT, if you do like the earrings and they are rare, why not just give them a rub down. I buy vintage things all the time, but small spots don't bug me because I expect this in a vintage item and I keep the things I need for polishing the way I want them.

Were the spots visible on the computer screen when you looked at the photos, or did you bid from a hand held type device? (if you look at small pictures, you really can't see the details clearly)

Were they gold or silver? In some cases, any cleaning can alter the original surface of the item and actually devalue it from the point of view of a collector.

the spots were not visible in the pictures that were up on the listing. and they are gold. i will post a picture soon so you all can see the spots and hopefully i can get some advice on if i should polish them or not.

here are pictures of the earring that has the spots on it.

qxuw7r.jpg

33ve06t.jpg

I found the listing. In all honesty, since you both left feedback already, I don't think it's worth starting something up now.

However, I do think that your photography is way better than the original. If I were you, I be polishing them up, wait a little while and then take your own photos. With 12 good photos in natural light and a pleasant background, I expect you could get a much better price to resell them. Then you could buy something you like even more.

Take a look at some other completed listings for Chanel earrings and you will see what I mean about price.

Please bear in mind that if you list them on the bay, you only get 1 chance to load your listing (read the links on 30 day restrictions) because of site wide anti-counterfeiting measures which apply to nearly all high end items. Most people can list 2 high end items a month, but, each revision of a listing counts as 1, so make your listing perfect before you hit save.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

thanks for your suggestion. what kind of polish would i use and where would i go to buy that?

there is a limit on how many high end items you can post? i had no idea! how come some people have more than 2?

also, i got a message from the seller today, she said that if i am going to keep the earrings, i have to close the case i opened in the resolution "item not as described" as resolved. so should i ask her to refund me the amount its going to cost to get the polish? and if she agrees then i can close it as resolved. this is all new to me because i have never gotten an item that wasnt as described.

Last edited:
On my personal items, I use a gold polishing cloth, which cost about $5, which is good value if you have anything else at all that is gold (or will have in the future).

The restrictions started back in 2008. Some people have had them lifted over time - eBay does this one a case by case basis. People seem to be able to list 2 items before incurring restrictions. Read this history. http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/how-many-u-have-been-successful-having-30day-377320.html

Mind you, after polishing your earrings, you may like them too much to sell them! Good luck with whatever you decide.

wow the restriction thing is very interesting.

where can i buy a gold polishing cloth? $5 isnt bad at all! haha, yeah i dont know if i will be able to part with them...but if the price is right, then its possible, lol.

Ewww looks like mould to me! A gold polishing cloth will do diddly squat on that. I would continue with the dispute and return for a full refund. But hey- that's just me. Sellers need to know that they can't mis-describe items and get away with it- WRONG!