Is this normal?

I have a 65lb boxer/shepherd mix, and she's always slept in bed with me...but generally I have to push her aside a little to give me some room, or she will take up the entire bed. Even better, when staying over at my ex's house HIS boxer would sleep on the bed too, or at least they'd try. Talk about a full house.

Are you crate training? I think that would be the easiest way to get her used to not sneaking into the bed, and it makes potty training a whole lot easier too.

Dumb question. What is crate training? When I first got him, he loved going in his crate. Then I had to go away for business, and I used th crate to transport him to a trainer for safe keeping while I was away. Since then, he hasn't ventured in his crate. And I used it for "time outs."

imo, for puppies, you have to be strict with them if you want them to have certain habits like sleeping on their own bed, pooing/peeing at certain places only, no biting of your furniture/stuff, no barking etc

if not, it's harder to change them when they are older.

both my babies sleep in a crate with their bed, blanket, toys, water bowl etc. i used to keep the crate closed only at night when they are sleeping. now i don't bother closing the crate, they will just go in themselves whever they want to. my crate is a big playpen that they can still run around. i hate those small crates that the dogs have difficulties even to walk in it. i have a separate dog carrier if i want to transport them to another place.

i used to only give them treats in the crate, let them have meals in the crate so that they can see the crate as a happy place. a crate to them is like a home to us, it's not an unhappy place to be holed up :smile:

Last edited:
Have you thought about the warmth factor? Your pup could be snuggling up to stay warm!
When I moved up to northern california, my dog didn't adjust well to the much colder climate and I would always catch him in my bed when I'd wake up :]

So I solved the problem with a heating pad!
Given that yours is just a little guy, this should more than do the trick!

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Kitty-...qid=1361345722&sr=1-3&keywords=heated+bed+pad

Since then, he hasn't ventured in his crate. And I used it for "time outs."

You can make the crate a positive place to be or a negative place to be. Personally I have never used a crate as a punishment. I have always left my crates out with nice comfy blankies in them so my animals (dog or cat) can nap in them whenever they feel like it and truly make it their own private, safe place to be. Now whenever I need them to go inside for a trip be it to a park or the vets they gladly walk in and feel safe there the entire trip.

See if they make one for puppies though. Puppies love to chew and I would hate for them to chew through a cord or the heating element. The one at amazon is for cats.
Shoo, that's a great point, puppies do love to chew! Anyone else have any more safe suggestions? My dog's older, & doesn't really chew, So I actually ended up getting him a "human" heating pad & it works wonders :]

My puppy always wants to sleep on me. I have had him for about a month now and he is 4 months old. Its been like this since day one. He will crawl up on my feet, curl up into a little ball and fall alseep. Or climb on top of my thigh and just fall asleep.

I have been trying to get him to sleep in his bed. And I learned that if I do it initially he will struggle and come back. But if I let him snooze a bit on me and then place him in his bed, he is too sleepy to come back and just conks out.

Does anyone else experience this. I have his bed close to mine and have no plans for him to sleep in my bed. Help!

It is fine for the little puppy to want to sleep near you. Not only to keep warm but also for security.

Honey beagle has slept with me ever since I owned her from when her was a puppy like 15 years ago.

Shoo, that's a great point, puppies do love to chew! Anyone else have any more safe suggestions? My dog's older, & doesn't really chew, So I actually ended up getting him a "human" heating pad & it works wonders :]

I do think its a great idea. Don't get me wrong but yeah I wonder if they do make them for pups? Someone must!

You can make the crate a positive place to be or a negative place to be. Personally I have never used a crate as a punishment. I have always left my crates out with nice comfy blankies in them so my animals (dog or cat) can nap in them whenever they feel like it and truly make it their own private, safe place to be. Now whenever I need them to go inside for a trip be it to a park or the vets they gladly walk in and feel safe there the entire trip.

The dog trainer suggested using this method. With my first dog, I used a water bottle.

Have you thought about the warmth factor? Your pup could be snuggling up to stay warm!
When I moved up to northern california, my dog didn't adjust well to the much colder climate and I would always catch him in my bed when I'd wake up :]

So I solved the problem with a heating pad!
Given that yours is just a little guy, this should more than do the trick!

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Kitty-Heated-Cat-16-Inch-Sage/dp/B00176F9AM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1361345722&sr=1-3&keywords=heated+bed+pad

Wow. This is awesome. Thank you!

I agree with you, hermes. You are the person and get to decide. Some people love having their animals in bed with them. My son and dil let their 2 cats in bed all night, and even around their heads. I'm not an easy sleeper and I need my bed space. I comfort my dog in many, many other ways. Each animal owner decides this and you are smart nip it early.

I personally do not want the dog sleeping on my bed. It's been my experience that this gets to be problematic if I have someone else (other than the dog) on the bed. So best nip this now.

When I have someone stays with me that person sleeps in the same bed honey beagle sleeps with me. Then at that time when I sleep in a different place then the honey beagle sleeps with me there.

So make the dog feel comfortable and wanted by letting the dog sleep near you.

When I have someone stays with me that person sleeps in the same bed honey beagle sleeps with me. Then at that time when I sleep in a different place then the honey beagle sleeps with me there.

So make the dog feel comfortable and wanted by letting the dog sleep near you.

Hi. I know you mean well but different strokes for different folks. He is my dog and I want him to sleep in his bed in my bedroom. He is super tiny and the last thing I need to worry about is someone rolling over and accidentally smothering him in the middle of the night. I sleep like the dead but this was concern of my exhubby with my last dog. And my last BF thrashes around in his sleep. So really, it's better for him in my opinion if my pup sleeps in his own bed.

He is in no way uncomfortable and never once felt unwanted since he entered my life. I am not sure what gave you that impression. This little ham is loved by everyone and known by many.