IS LV CHEAPER in London or Paris?

Newlove

May 6, 2009
My friend has just flown to the UK and I asked her to buy a Noe for me in Paris. However, she said that the prices in Birmingham was cheaper (because the exchange rate was higher), and the prices in Paris was more expensive (because of the lower exchange rate).

i need help!! which place is cheaper??

I'm pretty sure the prices are lower in France even with the exchange rate because of the VAT (value added tax) refund you get if you're not a european citizen. So you get a percentage of the sales tax refunded.

yea, i calculated the price difference to be around 94USD.
She was at the Birmingham boutique and said the VAT is 17.5%, i don't know if i should just get it there or wait for Paris. :shrugs:

Both countries give back the VAT. However, I think the ultimate price you pay will also depend on the particular exchange rate of your home country. If you're talking American dollars, then currently the French prices will be better for you (due to lower euro vs. pounds exchange).

Bought my LV in Paris and saved money. Paris is cheaper than UK for sure. Make sure you bring your passport to the store when you buy. You will need it. They will fill out a refund paper for you to have stamped at the airport when you leave the country.

i have not done the BP to USD, but i know for sure its usually a several hundred dollar difference between the E and USD prices.

I hope i'm not out of line by piggy backing on this topic with a quick question. is there an additional tax on lv products in paris, from my understanding the price on the sticker is the price you pay because the tax is already factored into the listed price. i wanted to be sure because i did a conversion for the prices listed on french lv.com into USD...i would be crushed to find out i would have to pay tax in addition to the listed price.

That's not true. By law you are NOT required to pay taxes in the UK/France, which explains why you are entitled to the VAT refund. The final price on the sticker includes tax BUT there is no "additional" tax.

Your best option is to pay with credit card as you will get refunded accordingly. If you make a cash purchase, you will receive less back at the airport. They will give you your refund with their conversion rates, which are terrible.

I purchased the Delightful MM for a friend and it turned out to be $120 (US) cheaper.

Bumping this thread for more replies :smile:

I am going to London and Paris in Dec. Was browsing both the UK and French LV websites and comparing prices. To my surprise, the prices in UK are actually cheaper than France! All along I thought LV would be the cheapest in France. If the VAT refund percentage is the same, does it mean I should just buy from London?

Bumping this thread for more replies :smile:

I am going to London and Paris in Dec. Was browsing both the UK and French LV websites and comparing prices. To my surprise, the prices in UK are actually cheaper than France! All along I thought LV would be the cheapest in France. If the VAT refund percentage is the same, does it mean I should just buy from London?

Is it true as I am travelling to France and UK but my friend told me it is cheaper to buy in Paris?

Is it true as I am travelling to France and UK but my friend told me it is cheaper to buy in Paris?
This thread is 5 years old, any info here will not be relevant now. The best thing to do is as above - check the UK and French sites and do the conversion with today's rates to work out which is cheaper. At the moment the euro is weak so it's cheaper in France.

Why don't you look online and compare the prices of the items that are of interest? Work out the VAT refund you might receive from each country and then there's your answer. Trouble is, the answer will vary from month to month so best to do your own calculations at the point of travel then there will be no surprises for you. Hope that helps.