Food Is it true? Organic Food....

D&S

Mar 24, 2010
I was told by a food critique/reporter that choosing organic food was mainly to help the environment and that actually there was little health benefit in organic food...Although I am not an expert in these things, I really can't believe that to be true. :nono:

Many people are under the mistaken belief that organic vegetables have more vitamins and other nutrients than non-organic veggies. That's not true. Not true at all.

Organic veggies and grains do have the big advantage that they are not grown with pesticides, chemical fertilizers and other chemicals. That's a big advantage.

If you're buying veggies that are pulled out of the earth and you're not going to be peeling off much skin (carrots, potatoes, turnips) it's advantageous to pay the extra price for organic. Hopefully those veggies have not been grown in earth steeped in chemicals as they are on large industrial farms. Although you never know of course.

For instance, organic farms are supposed to rely on compost for fertilizer... But some farms use compost created by large municipal dumps from things like grass clippings which have been saturated in lawn chemicals, compost you should never use for growing anything but flowers.

Now the labeling of "organic" on things like bread, pancake mixes, cereal, candy, etc. is a whole 'nother issue. And it's rather controversial. Apparently the federal regulations on that are pretty loose and the feds will allow companies to label as "organic" many foods that are manufactured with preservatives, additives, and other chemicals. You have to read the label carefully on manufactured foods that are labeled "organic" to see what they really contain.

But again, the "organic" cereals, breads, etc. don't have more nutritients than non-organic. Their advantage is that the grains that were used in their creation were grown on a chemical-free organic farm.

many if not most vitamins and nutrients in veggies and fruit start degrading once they are harvested. So, your stale organic produce may have less of certain vitamins and nutrients than your fresh industrial produce.

Also, levels of vitamins and nutrients usually vary form region to region. They also depend on different harvest times, different varieties of fruit / veggie, different soils, etc.

Basically, currently there exist no conclusive data that all organic fruit and veggies are better than all industrial fruit and veggies. Some are better and some are worse and some are the same.

p-WA

i havent posted on this forum before but was interested in this topic...

I try to eat organic foods wherever possible, and have worked in an independent organic food shop. I am not a scientist and cant tell you whether organic food has more nutrients than non-organic... but common sense tells me that it does.

For one thing, non-organic fruits and vegetables are pumped full of water and other things to make them appear big and shiny - organic produce is inherently smaller and contains more concentrated nutrients. As for the pesticides used on non-organic produce, they not only affect the skin of the fruit/vegetable as mentioned previously. It is naive to think that simply removing the skin will prevent you from ingesting the multitude of harmful chemicals that are used in the mass production of fruits and vegetables.

All in all, every chemical that goes into the production of non-organic produce becomes a toxin inside your body. Eat organic.. its better for you and the environment! :smile:

I am not a believer of organic and my Sil happens to broker and mange some finances for her local organic companies in New England; she isn't one either.
My GF who owns and operate a chain of restaurants doesn't either...

Why?

We are spoiled when it comes to real true home grown goodness... and we are not "blind believers" that believe what "marketing tactics/schemes" put out to sell for profits at a max (and yes, believe it or not, it is all about profits).

It is true that organics are 2 to 3 times higher in prices than regular products... but is it really all that worth it?

Not to us because we are not there to follow each and every phase of that product to ensure no contaminants on that product! That inexpensive or untrained labor a company (with profits in mind) may hire to pick that harvest may in turn give that product hep B or salmonella etc.... or even a splash of gasoline when loading etc... you just never know!

To be a true connoisseur in organics... one almost have to be the producer of one's own product = don't be lazy, grow your own!
(An organic shared community farm is actually a better & greener way).

No, public produced "organic" is NOT that green either...

Why?
Packaging, gas for transport, marketing, publishing are all equally "un-green" as any market produced standard products. They also generate packaging waste to our landfills...

While "own" farm goes from the garden to the table = "true" green.

I'd say "smart" public really should do their own research before spending $$$$$ for what they buy instead of blindly following a trend.

In the end the ones who truly suffer and out of $$$$$ is not the profiting companies BUT "us" the consumers!

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/06/usda-bans-us-organic-inspector-in-china/

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200910151.html

http://www.wsmv.com/news/24028345/detail.html

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/organic.html

http://www.bpcouncil.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleID=992

.... of course many more articles than these...

The point is a true organic person who is really & truly green will support non other than your OWN farm. Or even extend out to your own local farm (hey, make friends with your local farmer & he/she may share with you his home grown goodness meant for his family & friends [he is not going to poison his own children & family is he/she?]), join a community farm and put some time in!

If one cannot follow a believed product that whole way (just like a believer of any religion) then WHY even believe in it in that first place? Why spend that kinda $$$$$ to profit someone than "self"?

But it is my own 2 cents!

i havent posted on this forum before but was interested in this topic...

I try to eat organic foods wherever possible, and have worked in an independent organic food shop. I am not a scientist and cant tell you whether organic food has more nutrients than non-organic... but common sense tells me that it does.

For one thing, non-organic fruits and vegetables are pumped full of water and other things to make them appear big and shiny - organic produce is inherently smaller and contains more concentrated nutrients. As for the pesticides used on non-organic produce, they not only affect the skin of the fruit/vegetable as mentioned previously. It is naive to think that simply removing the skin will prevent you from ingesting the multitude of harmful chemicals that are used in the mass production of fruits and vegetables.
All in all, every chemical that goes into the production of non-organic produce becomes a toxin inside your body. Eat organic.. its better for you and the environment! :smile:

I don't believe BigPurseSue's point above, if I understood correctly, was that peeling skin off potatoes and carrots prevents ingestion of chemicals. I believe she was saying that for veggies like that, buying organic is better since chemicals can seep into those foods much more readily than, say, bananas.

Last edited:
Hello Purseblog.com community members,

There are advantages of DIY organically grown food ; Such as free of poisonous chemicals , lack of quality , high prices. Do it yourself there isnt much to growing at least your vegetables most commonly used. Hydroponic makes this is extremely simple allowing you to even clone more from one single 3 dollar mother plant. Information free for you just to come and comment on my weblog first time created. Thanks
http://www.highdroponics.blogspot.com
:biggrin:

I eat certain organic fruits and veggies and definately dairy...not because they have more nutrients, but because of the pesticides, hormones and antibiotics that are used on non organic farms. I am lucky to live in an area where fresh fruits and veggies are available year round.

I eat certain organic fruits and veggies and definately dairy...not because they have more nutrients, but because of the pesticides, hormones and antibiotics that are used on non organic farms. I am lucky to live in an area where fresh fruits and veggies are available year round.

:yes:

I don't buy everything organic but I do try to buy as much locally grown produce as possible.

Organic food is just food grown without using pesticides and without it being gmo'd. I do think it is better to buy organic. It's a great idea if you can buy locally. Don't buy fruits and vegetables if they are out of the country. Stay within U.S. too.

Frozen fruit and veg is proven to maintain more antioxidants/vitamins etc since they start to become less powerful as soon as the food is harvested.

At least in the UK, food can still be labelled as organic if it has under a certain level of pesticides/additives. It's worth accepting the fact that almost ALL of the food we eat has been genetically modified (GM foods) at some point in order to increase yield, decrease pests, but this has all been done for our safety and to provide good value for money.

Frozen fruit and veg is proven to maintain more antioxidants/vitamins etc since they start to become less powerful as soon as the food is harvested.

At least in the UK, food can still be labelled as organic if it has under a certain level of pesticides/additives. It's worth accepting the fact that almost ALL of the food we eat has been genetically modified (GM foods) at some point in order to increase yield, decrease pests, but this has all been done for our safety and to provide good value for money.
Actually most foods have not been genetically modified at least not here in the US except soybeans, corn ect... Lots of packaged food contain ingredients that have tho and so does the feed for cattle and poultry which is why we eat organic which is not. We do not eat packaged foods like crackers, chips, cereals or any boxed mixes unless they are organic.

Actually most foods have not been genetically modified at least not here in the US except soybeans, corn ect... Lots of packaged food contain ingredients that have tho and so does the feed for cattle and poultry which is why we eat organic which is not. We do not eat packaged foods like crackers, chips, cereals or any boxed mixes unless they are organic.

I think you're referring to genetic engineering, where genes are isolated and selected in a lab in order to increase desired traits - the genes are scientifically engineered to be a certain way. Genetic modification refers also to practices like selective breeding, which have been going on for hundreds of years, and modifies the genetic information of the species by selectively breeding out traits.

My point was that none or very little of the food we eat is how nature intended it to be. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, a lot of genetic modification is in order to eliminate the risk of disease. If genetic modification had never happened we would have sour fruit with thick skins, which would rot quickly and might include nasty bacteria for example. It would not be physically possible to feed the number of people in the world if the yield of crops had not been selectively increased. You would also only be able to have a lot of fruits for only a few months in the year. GM and genetically engineered foods actually increase resistance to bacteria which actually decreases the need for pesticides. Even genetic engineering has had benefits in increasing the vitamin A in african rice which has decreased the number of people going blind because of lack of vitamin A.

I'm not saying it's all good, but it's not all bad either. I disagree with the use of pesticides and herbicides and excessive/unnecessary genetic engineering.

I studied this a lot in college (it was part of my major) and it's really complicated to figure out what is the least harmful. I tend to think the opposite of what you said is true. Organic food means you aren't ingesting pesticides and such, but it actually not really better for the environment. Pesticides and herbicides and such are bad for the environment, but what's even worse for the environment is farmland. Organic crops usually require more land to grow on than crops that are sprayed. There's no point in protecting the environment from pesticides and such if the environment has been shredded for farmland and basically isn't there anymore. Farmland thoroughly destroys the environment it's on far more than what gets sprayed.

Best for the environment are crops that can be grown on less land and require fewer pesticides and herbicides, such as certain GMOs. GMOs are NOT harmful to eat and in my opinion are better environmentally (because fewer harmful chemicals sprayed AND less land is plowed). Many of the companies that makes them are horrendous, but that doesn't mean the product is dangerous to eat.

Certain crops really don't need to be organic if you're concerned about the pesticides. They tested many crops and found that next to no pesticide wound up inside the crop. You really only need to think about the things where you eat the skin. Things like onions, potatoes in most instances, etc... had basically nothing harmful inside.