Is it crazy to shorten a trench?

LulaMaeBarnes

Jul 4, 2008
I got a tan trench coat, it was way marked down so I snagged it up but it just seems way too long for me. It goes just above my ankles. I’m always tripping on it when I go up stairs, it gets caught in car doors and I’m just more and more annoyed with it. It also looks like it engulfs my body when I wear it. I’ll wear it for two days and then go back to a different coat, then I’ll see it in the closet a couple weeks later and pull it out thinking I should wear it because it’s an expensive coat but then get annoyed, repeat. I’ve had other coats that are long like that but for some reason this one really annoys me. I would love to get it shortened to just below the knee. Would that be unheard of to do something like that to a Burberry trench coat? I know it’s not going to be so easy as to just shorten it, after all it has one of those flannel zipper pieces inside of the coat that would also needed to be shortened. I’m sure my tailor could do it and I know it wouldn’t be a big deal if it was a skirt, pants or something. Has anyone done that before? Do you think it would be tacky? I’m sure it would severely cut the resale value on it, but I’m not happy and it’s either that or sell the thing.