Is is crazy to want to sell my classic flap??

bagloverny

O.G.
Feb 24, 2013
Hey guys, so I have a dilemma. I have only 2 Chanel bags currently. One is the dark blue lambskin Boy with GHW in my avatar which I absolutely LOVE. I got it a few months ago and the Boy has always been my favorite Chanel style. My other Chanel is a classic m/l black lambskin flap from 2005. It is a beautiful bag, in mint condition and has the 18K gold plated hw that is so coveted. It's from an era when Chanel quality was consistently excellent and the lambskin is shiny, puffy and so soft. I think it's a beautiful bag and such a classic obviously, but, for some reason, I never *loved* it like I love my Boy. I have been toying with the idea of selling it for a few weeks but I keep questioning if this is a smart idea. I feel like I could regret it down the line since I would likely not find this bag later at the price I purchased it for and Chanel quality is going down every year.

However, I definitely don't adore the classic flap, it's not my style as much as the Boy, and I don't really want to wear it nearly as much as my Boy. Of course, this could change in the future as I get older etc.

If I sold it, I would probably buy a nice bag for work…..have been thinking about the Sac de Jour forever…..and save the rest of the money from the sale. Of course, I could just keep the Chanel and buy the Sac de Jour later. I just feel like since I don't use the classic flap, I should sell it and buy something I really love. Is this crazy, that I'm thinking of selling such an amazing and coveted bag?! :P

So…would love to hear anyone's thoughts and advice on this! I'm really torn. I know, I know, #firstworldproblems :P

Thanks so much!

Personally I would *NEVER* sell a bag like that. But then I love the classic flap. Do you really think you won't regret it in the future? If you're positive that you won't then sell. But I'd keep it for special occasions. Try wearing it out for a few special nights out to see if you really don't like it.

Hey guys, so I have a dilemma. I have only 2 Chanel bags currently. One is the dark blue lambskin Boy with GHW in my avatar which I absolutely LOVE. I got it a few months ago and the Boy has always been my favorite Chanel style. My other Chanel is a classic m/l black lambskin flap from 2005. It is a beautiful bag, in mint condition and has the 18K gold plated hw that is so coveted. It's from an era when Chanel quality was consistently excellent and the lambskin is shiny, puffy and so soft. I think it's a beautiful bag and such a classic obviously, but, for some reason, I never *loved* it like I love my Boy. I have been toying with the idea of selling it for a few weeks but I keep questioning if this is a smart idea. I feel like I could regret it down the line since I would likely not find this bag later at the price I purchased it for and Chanel quality is going down every year.

However, I definitely don't adore the classic flap, it's not my style as much as the Boy, and I don't really want to wear it nearly as much as my Boy. Of course, this could change in the future as I get older etc.

If I sold it, I would probably buy a nice bag for work…..have been thinking about the Sac de Jour forever…..and save the rest of the money from the sale. Of course, I could just keep the Chanel and buy the Sac de Jour later. I just feel like since I don't use the classic flap, I should sell it and buy something I really love. Is this crazy, that I'm thinking of selling such an amazing and coveted bag?! :P

So…would love to hear anyone's thoughts and advice on this! I'm really torn. I know, I know, #firstworldproblems :P

Thanks so much!

I have been where you are a couple of times. Once was the Chanel Blue Roi 2010 classic jumbo flap. A highly coveted bag. No longer made/rare color blah blah. I got whipped into the frenzy of it since I love electric blue and found one but it never really got worn much and when it did I felt like I was 'trying' to make it work. It wasn't a natural reach for and was more like hard work than an easy pleasure. Friends said don't sell! It's so hard to find! Chanel doesn't make those anymore! etc but after two months I did and haven't missed it. Same with a ML lamb black with gold hw. I wanted it so bad but hardly wore it. Sold it never missed it because I wasn't wearing it. Replaced with the same in caviar and much prefer it! so it was a leather thing I guess. If something is off about a bag it won't get out of your head. At least with me. It's not that we don't love these bags. Even once sold we know they are stunning. So it's not about that. It's about just not feeling right somehow when wearing it. The same is happing with a cobalt patent leather boy which I've decided I can't wear. Stunning but just not right somehow.

Go with your gut. A sign of a good bag purchase is the one that you wear versus look at mostly (unless the owner is a collector).

Last edited:
Don't keep a bag just because you feel you should or you might regret letting go of it etc.
Keep it if you love it and use it. Otherwise, sell it and get something you'll love and use instead :smile:

I think the final decision is yours because only you know how a particular bag truly makes you feel. I can see that you want to get money for something you are not wearing. From your description of the bag and you saying that you may regret it, my advice is do not sell.

With the feeling you are describing, sell it! You don't want it and are keeping it because others place high value on it. Do what makes your heart sing!

Sell it if you don't wear it anymore. I never keep a bag just because it's rare or it has investment value or whatever. I live in NYC so I gotta be ruthless about it! :lol:

I'm willing to bet you will enjoy the new bag you will buy with that money a whole lot more!

Sell it if you don't wear it anymore. I never keep a bag just because it's rare or it has investment value or whatever. I live in NYC so I gotta be ruthless about it! :lol:

I'm willing to bet you will enjoy the new bag you will buy with that money a whole lot more!

+1
There are so many bags out there that people consider classic and timeless. No need to own every single one of them. Buy only the ones you love and use.
I had the same bag as you. I seldom use it so I sold it after a few years No regrets so far. If I change my mind next year or 10 years from now, I'll just buy it when that time comes.

+1 but Sac de jour goes on sale every season

I'd buy something that won't go on sale and hold value better

Don't keep a bag just because you feel you should or you might regret letting go of it etc.
Keep it if you love it and use it. Otherwise, sell it and get something you'll love and use instead :smile:

If you don't wear it sell it. I sold my classic m/l beige in caviar leather.I loved the color but hated the caviar so off it went. You are having second thoughts so it's probably time to replace or try to make it work.