Is bag flipping a thing?

I think there are 2 sorts of quick flippers and I think they're in a co-dependant relationship:

1. Some people are a little insecure/unsure of their own style and literally need to have what everybody else is talking about (called the 'it', 'must-have' or 'hot' bag etc). Then when the media/market moves on they feel compelled to do so too. This is much quicker than 'looking dated'.

2. People have the consumer clout, time and contacts to buy bags most people can't so use it to literally flip bags and make money like a business. Often these people sell to ^ No 1. flippers.

I think there are 2 sorts of quick flippers and I think they're in a co-dependant relationship:

1. Some people are a little insecure/unsure of their own style and literally need to have what everybody else is talking about (called the 'it', 'must-have' or 'hot' bag etc). Then when the media/market moves on they feel compelled to do so too. This is much quicker than 'looking dated'.

2. People have the consumer clout, time and contacts to buy bags most people can't so use it to literally flip bags and make money like a business. Often these people sell to ^ No 1. flippers.

Wow, really insightful explanations that make complete sense! Being a TPF member you observe a lot, and it's really thought provoking to see that this community is more than just bags!

I know people that even rent bags in order to always have the latest It bag in their possession - even if it's just for a month or so. Instead of buying and selling, they rent and return.

I'm more of a bag stalker; I can stalk a bag for years until I find it preloved or in sale. Once I buy, I take ages to sell. A bag usually has to sit in my closet for a year or two before I let go of it.
Owning the hottest trend piece isn't important to me. If I like a design, I'll research it, google it, look around and find a great deal. Sometimes the crush doesn't last and I give up on the bag before even purchasing it. After making a few mistakes (including a very expensive one), I now am just the opposite of a bag flipper. I buy, love, fall out and recycle.
There are a few bags I am having a hard time even imagining selling; my oldie Mulberries, vintage treasures and the bags I've received as gifts are the ones that will probably never leave my closet.

Yeah, I think that's a good point, and I agree after several years bags can look dated.
I am speaking to the rapid flip...like a month-6 months with the intention to do it again and again to keep up with changing styles and new models.
I know there are a variety of consumers out there, and like you, I go for more classic and iconic styles. I'm happy for people to get the latest things, and it makes the brand exciting!
I am just touching on this rapid flip concept and interested to see what people think about that. I'm not a money person, but if you were, and if this practice continues to become more and more popular, I just wonder how that could change the value of Louis Vuitton as a brand- if it would change at all, increase, or decrease the value in eyes of the consumers.

Some bag flipping is smart, though--it makes sense to sell a bag while it's still hot and people will pay a premium for it rather than waiting a few years and risk it being passé. I got a great price buying a preloved Phantom because the market is so oversaturated with that bag now--I bet the seller wishes she'd sold it sooner while it was still an "it" bag.

Some bag flipping is smart, though--it makes sense to sell a bag while it's still hot and people will pay a premium for it rather than waiting a few years and risk it being passé. I got a great price buying a preloved Phantom because the market is so oversaturated with that bag now--I bet the seller wishes she'd sold it sooner while it was still an "it" bag.

You are so right about when it was the "it" bag to have made more $$$
but style & fashion are so different now, that many of us can rock bags
that are from previous seasons & can get them for a good price

When I started my collection / obsession 6 years ago I did t know what I like or not. I bought as I like and then was kinda in the buy sell pattern if it didn't work for me. Now I know what I love and what works and what doesn't for me. I don't usually impulse buy anymore. I am far more careful with what I get. Now I am really down to several bags which I love all different for different purposes and I could not have arrived at this collection I have without buying and selling if only to "upgrade" to the ones I know I love. Make sense? Overall I'll either pass them to my daughter. I just gave one away to our babysitter. Last year I gave a TB tots to my cousin who became a new mommy. It was new and I thought she would love it more and she does!. If I cannot sell and they are not wroth anything really I'll donate.

No offense, but I think that the idea of passing one's bags to one's daughters might be a romantic but not realistic one.

I have birkins and Chanels etc. but I have no idea whether they are the type of bags that my daughters will want to wear/carry. I hope they each keep one of my bags to remind them of me, and if they end up carrying them, that would be wonderful. But I don't "kid" myself into justifying a bag purchase (no matter how iconic or expensive) with the notion it is something my daughter or granddaughters will want to actually use.

My one hope (lol) is one of my granddaughters. I have been taking her to Hermes since she was in the pram. She knows all the SAs and is waiting to be old enough to have her first clic clac bracelet. An auntie gave her a twilly, which she cherishes and wears occasionally. And at age ten, she can pick out an H scarf in a book of scarf designs of multiple design houses. So maybe she will wear my H things.

It's like inheriting old jewelry. Even though expensive when purchased, the designs typically don't go with our current wardrobe.

I know this is slightly Ot, but the notion of buying forever etc etc is just not realistic IMHO. Years ago, I sold my entire original LV graffiti collection to finance my first birkin and never regretted it. I just moved on in taste and they weren't being used, so why not use them to buy something I will enjoy now?

No offense, but I think that the idea of passing one's bags to one's daughters might be a romantic but not realistic one.

I have birkins and Chanels etc. but I have no idea whether they are the type of bags that my daughters will want to wear/carry. I hope they each keep one of my bags to remind them of me, and if they end up carrying them, that would be wonderful. But I don't "kid" myself into justifying a bag purchase (no matter how iconic or expensive) with the notion it is something my daughter or granddaughters will want to actually use.

My one hope (lol) is one of my granddaughters. I have been taking her to Hermes since she was in the pram. She knows all the SAs and is waiting to be old enough to have her first clic clac bracelet. An auntie gave her a twilly, which she cherishes and wears occasionally. And at age ten, she can pick out an H scarf in a book of scarf designs of multiple design houses. So maybe she will wear my H things.

It's like inheriting old jewelry. Even though expensive when purchased, the designs typically don't go with our current wardrobe.

I know this is slightly Ot, but the notion of buying forever etc etc is just not realistic IMHO. Years ago, I sold my entire original LV graffiti collection to finance my first birkin and never regretted it. I just moved on in taste and they weren't being used, so why not use them to buy something I will enjoy now?

I could not agree more, it's a mystery to me why people justify buying hanbags to 'pass on to their daughter.' Only buy what purses can realistically be used now. Help with a property investment or money towards university will be a much more welcome legacy to our children. (Not mentioning even more important things like, a clean environment, and a safe society to live in) Old handbags are really just old handbags, enjoy them now but do not pass on the burden to the poor kids. I loved my grandmother, who had great taste, but I would never carry her bags, (some in crocodile and very expensive) Times have moved on.

True. Just browsing through some of the threads on tpf and you can see there are a few people who do this. Especially the limited editions or releases. One minute you see the bag revealed on here or on various social media avenues, the next it's on ebay or where ever.
As mentioned, it becomes a business and you do need to keep on top of what the market wants. Or else you will be stuck with an "outdated" bag and have to sell at a loss.

Very true. My mom have given me most of her bags and although I'm grateful, I have sold or given them away. My daughter and nieces are not interested in my bags as the styles do not appeal to them. Doesn't matter if the bag is a "classic" or "investment".

Just buy what you love and will use. Once it no longer serves a purpose or you don't want it, sell or donate. I have lost upwards of 60% on several bags when I sold them. It sucks but I had fun with them and it's time to move on.

Last edited:
I know people that even rent bags in order to always have the latest It bag in their possession - even if it's just for a month or so. Instead of buying and selling, they rent and return.

I'm more of a bag stalker; I can stalk a bag for years until I find it preloved or in sale. Once I buy, I take ages to sell. A bag usually has to sit in my closet for a year or two before I let go of it.
Owning the hottest trend piece isn't important to me. If I like a design, I'll research it, google it, look around and find a great deal. Sometimes the crush doesn't last and I give up on the bag before even purchasing it. After making a few mistakes (including a very expensive one), I now am just the opposite of a bag flipper. I buy, love, fall out and recycle.
There are a few bags I am having a hard time even imagining selling; my oldie Mulberries, vintage treasures and the bags I've received as gifts are the ones that will probably never leave my closet.

Very wise

You are so right about when it was the "it" bag to have made more $$$
but style & fashion are so different now, that many of us can rock bags
that are from previous seasons & can get them for a good price

Thank heavens. Years ago, someone might have to wait 20 years (if ever) before something came back in style

I could not agree more, it's a mystery to me why people justify buying hanbags to 'pass on to their daughter.' Only buy what purses can realistically be used now. Help with a property investment or money towards university will be a much more welcome legacy to our children. (Not mentioning even more important things like, a clean environment, and a safe society to live in) Old handbags are really just old handbags, enjoy them now but do not pass on the burden to the poor kids. I loved my grandmother, who had great taste, but I would never carry her bags, (some in crocodile and very expensive) Times have moved on.

I agree too. Hopefully, most people know if their children/grandchildren would appreciate the gesture (like lulilu's GD). I pass some of my bags on to my little niece who I know is a budding fashion diva. I also inherited bags from my DGM and DM and think each one as very precious, my GM's is an heirloom because she died young and I never got to know her. I don't think it's typical though. I wouldn't mind being buried with my GM's bag and 2 of my GGFs' walking cane/sticks, very Celtic :biggrin:

If you read (or read between the lines) the 'Authenticate This' and 'Name This' threads are full of people who inherited bags and can't wait to sell them off (or flip) for cash.

I knew a couple people who did bag flipping. Actually, I've sold some of my designer bags to bag flippers. I honestly don't understand the flipping mentality just as much as I don't understand amassing huge collections of purses and shoes. But whatever, to each her own; if it makes them happy, then who am I to judge?

I also chuckle when I read about someone who wants to take their purses to the grave or pass their purses on to their daughters/descendants. I really doubt when I am old I will care about my handbags like I do now and most likely the purses will be sold for better things or thrown away. I can only imagine what my future nieces will think if I asked them to keep my purses "in the family"...I mean, does anyone really want Aunt Bernz's musty old handbags? LOL. :lol:

Hi, I was the OP.
I think you ladies above have good points, but it clearly shows the vast differences in our own personal lives and age.
I think because I just decided to sell my other unused bags (from over 10 years) and chose to only buy LV, I have an emotional attachment because they are actually new bags to me. I am not a mother, or grand mother, so I don't exactly have anyone to pass my things to.
The point of my post was that I didn't understand how people seem to just feel a need to buy the newest and latest bag, have no attachment, but merely just want to carry the object to keep up with social status circles.
I guess I love my bags too much because I have a strong interest in fashion. Second, I am not judging anyone who also has a different point of view about fashion, and sees the trends rapidly changing, therefore wanting to continue riding the wave.
I just feel that if you love a bag, why force yourself to sell it just to get the newest and latest?
I read a lot of women asking for advice on what bags (they admit they LOVE) should be sold in order to fund the new release. This is what I think is a shame and I wish people didn't feel this pressure.
I consider myself young and excited about my style and accessories. I guess that's why I want to feel like my money (and my fiancé's money) is well spent on something I love and that I want to use.
Bottom line incase anyone missed it: why sell something you LOVE just to get something NEW? If there is nothing wrong with it, why give into the pressure? Sure styles come and go, and I admit I changed my mind on designers, but give your bags a chance if you really love them. Media and money will constantly change to retain power, but it's US who have the true power.

Last edited: