Is bag flipping a thing?

My bag turnover has little to do with having the latest and greatest. I experiment with a color or style, I'm a 1-in-1-out gal too, and I admit to having gotten caught up in the 'great deal' only to realize it wasn't for me. Those reasons have led to turnover in my collection.

Not surprised. Lots of people like to be on trend or look a certain way. Sometimes a bag no longer works for someone, or it no longer fits their lifestyle.

I flip a bag when I find out I dislike it and it's not part of my forever collection.

I just read on one of the pages that a lot of people are compulsive "bag flippers"? So, they buy the newest hottest bag, use it for a few months, and then sell it to fund the next new release bag?
I'm not judging, I'm just shocked to read this. I guess if it's normal I didn't realize it, because when I buy a bag (especially LV) I buy it to keep...forever! I guess that's another reason why I buy it new and from the store.
I only sold one LV bag, a MIF Speedy from 2004 that had REALLY dark patina. I used the money and bought the new Speedy last year.
I have an emotional attachment to my bags! I guess I just can't buy something and know I'll sell it to buy a new one, and then start the process all over again...��
Just curious to see if this is really a thing!

Since some of the premier brands (Chanel, LV, Hermes, etc) consistently increases their prices annually there's bound to be "flippers". There are so many people being advise to buy before the imminent price increase and if the bag doesn't work then they can always sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with that. However selling it may not be as easy as it seems.

Last edited:
Bag flipping that is an interesting concept. So here is the deal personally for me taste changes, lifestyle changes, heck life happens as we get older. That being said a bag that worked for me last year may not work for me this year. I do not place sentimental value in handbags I purchase nor do I purchase a handbag telling myself it is an investment, there is no return on a handbag - at least not enough to consider it an investment. Yes I would love to say that I buy a hand bag to last forever but unfortunately that is not a true statement for me. As I know nothing on this earth last forever. I also have a bag quota that I am very strict on keeping myself too. This keeps me from accumulating dozens of bags that I cannot possibly use in a month. We all buy bags with the intent that this bag is going to work for us when in fact after we have actually used the bag it does not fit all of our needs. For me bags need to be completely functional as I do not purchase bags to use occasionally. You really do not know the true cons of a bag you've purchased until you have actually used and carried for at least a month. With that being said there is always going to be bags that will sit because you're reaching for other bags. Personally I do not believe bags of this magnitude should sit in the closet collecting dust - not when I can sell that bag and possibly get most if not all most all my money back. Therefore purchasing something else that I would definitely use. Are there impulse buys absolutely! Are there buys because the bag was beautiful absolutely! But I find that those buys are mainly the bags that are sold. I also think we go through phases from wanting all big bags, two medium bags, two small bags. Like I said life changes what we were doing last year may not be the same thing we are doing this year which calls for a different type of bag. I wouldn't say it's wanting the latest and greatest because there have been any releases that I did not indulge in and actually purchase older model bags. Heck the new releases have not been appealing until as of late. Again it depends on what works for me at that time. Two rules I stick by; 1. If a bag is not making the daily rotation it has to go - 2. If I want a new bag one bag must go. Handbags are not trophies to sit on a shelf and admire they are meant to be used, worn and enjoyed. Too many bags you aren't even using seems quite wasteful to me. So I am actually not sure that selling a bag or two to fund a new bag is really a bad thing or an in thing for that matter. If you think about it, more should do this and it probably would cut down on new spending and debt.

PLEASE NOTE: Everything said is my personal opinion on the subject. I am a long time handbag lover and see myself this way until I leave this place. . .

Seems a hobby.
With underlying goal to make profit. Or not to lose too much money.
But really more about enjoying the hunt/shopping/gathering, imo.
Carries risk of growing out of control. As does anything fun.
Then is called a business. Or a problem. ;)

Everyone has hobbies.
There's extra time to fill in this life, sometimes.
Mine aren't about restoring & reselling handbags.
But if someone enjoys that, why not?

Seems a hobby.
With underlying goal to make profit. Or not to lose too much money.
But really more about enjoying the hunt/shopping/gathering, imo.
Carries risk of growing out of control. As does anything fun.
Then is called a business. Or a problem. ;)

Everyone has hobbies.
There's extra time to fill in this life, sometimes.
Mine aren't about restoring & reselling handbags.
But if someone enjoys that, why not?

I think some enjoy the shopping process, and yes, the hunt for either something elusive and rare, or a bargain. I think it's ok if they get pleasure from it and it doesn't cause any problem.
I've learnt that I regret impulse buys, even if they are a bargain - so I try not to do that anymore. The bags I enjoy the most and that I can imagine keeping for a long time are those I spent most time thinking about before I bought them.

I wouldn't say that bag flipping is a thing. I mean, flipping refers to buying something, then refurbishing it and then selling it for more than you paid for it, right? We see it practiced in real estate, through neighborhood "gentrification," and it's widely considered both harmful and unethical. By that definition, buying bags, getting sick of them, and putting them up for sale doesn't seem like flipping to me. The only victim is the person with poor impulse control.

If someone did attempt to flip a bag in that way, I think its value would decrease, not appreciate. Can you imagine it? "I bought this Chanel Boy, and thought it could use something extra, so I whipped out my Bedazzler and now it has a Swarovski crystal Rolling Stones logo on it!" Yikes.

Although...I have seen some limited edition bags being overvalued on ebay and the like. But again, that doesn't seem like flipping, per se. Personally, like someone else mentioned upthread, I am all for fickle consumers who sell their barely used bags- I've gotten some great deals that way! :biggrin:

...I think its value would decrease, not appreciate. Can you imagine it? "I bought this Chanel Boy, and thought it could use something extra, so I whipped out my Bedazzler and now it has a Swarovski crystal Rolling Stones logo on it!" Yikes...
Tragically, don't have to imagine. :sad:
Agreed, quite ridiculous. And costly, in many ways.
Example:
http://www.yearzerolondon.com/

Wow, really interesting points here!
I did not coin the term "flipping"'I read it in another thread and wanted to understand it.
I guess it can mean two things: refurbishing or buying to use it for a short period of time, with the intention to sell for something new. Repeat the cycle.
I think that is defiantly different from people who buy a bag and realize they don't like it anymore, or no longer use it, became defective...
I guess what I find interesting is people buying bags for the moment (maybe less than a month-6 months) and LOVE he bag, but already have plans to sell it in order to fund a new purchase and repeat the cycle. Is that purging?
When I worked for Burberry my manager told me about shoppers who do this, and she knew who they were and would "shift things" to appeal to them knowing their spending habits. I guess I didn't pay much attention to that concept then, but started to realize that here. I am a communications student, and have to write a lot of research papers, and this topic seems like it could be studied! The instant gratification theory, or need to always have something new, little value on the purchase itself and just buying to keep up with social circles...I'm not saying anyone here fits the bill, but I'm just imagining a larger group of consumers.
I will say that I LOVE fashion, I love classic and iconic bags, and I personally don't care for seasonal pieces.
For about 10 years I had collected several different but equally expensive bags from different designers. When I bought my Neverfull two years ago I decided that I only wanted to own LV, so I sold all my old bags and now I have 3 LV bags in my collection...that means I ONLY own 3 handbags! I will get a fourth next month, but it's important that it will last, and remain classic to me.
I see nothing wrong with selling bags to fund new ones, but I guess the potential problem with society is that pressure to always keep up with everyone else buying "the newest and latest model". If people want that, I say good for them! Really nice, and I mean that.
But I feel bad for the many people who I'm sure feel they must keep up these spending habits, or flipping habits, just to be able to participate in a new reveal, or challenge their friends and social groups.
I have found LV to be the only brand I want because I have always admired their iconic style, quality, and their bags go with my clothing style. This is my reason for wanting to only stick with this brand. When I was younger I will admit that I thought it was very important to have many different designer bags...but I found that the only brand that REALLY stole my heart was LV. It was a lesson learned to go with your heart and stick with what you liked. I never want to spend money on something I won't use, and that I can see just being hot for a hot second, and then become disposable to me. I worry that that mindset would seep into other areas of my life, like relationships, or even the bigger picture, the meaning of life!

Look at some of the earlier posts on this forum showing styles that were popular in 2006, 2007, 2008, etc. Some of these now look really dated even though they're less than 10 years old. I think it makes sense to sell off bags as styles change and replace them with something more current.

I try to go for more classic designs that won't be outdated so quickly, but it's hard to gauge that in advance.

Look at some of the earlier posts on this forum showing styles that were popular in 2006, 2007, 2008, etc. Some of these now look really dated even though they're less than 10 years old. I think it makes sense to sell off bags as styles change and replace them with something more current.

I try to go for more classic designs that won't be outdated so quickly, but it's hard to gauge that in advance.

Yeah, I think that's a good point, and I agree after several years bags can look dated.
I am speaking to the rapid flip...like a month-6 months with the intention to do it again and again to keep up with changing styles and new models.
I know there are a variety of consumers out there, and like you, I go for more classic and iconic styles. I'm happy for people to get the latest things, and it makes the brand exciting!
I am just touching on this rapid flip concept and interested to see what people think about that. I'm not a money person, but if you were, and if this practice continues to become more and more popular, I just wonder how that could change the value of Louis Vuitton as a brand- if it would change at all, increase, or decrease the value in eyes of the consumers.

I am like that sometimes, but not on a compulsive level. Most of the time I buy my bags and will end up loving them for a long time, but there are times when I lose interest after the purchase as it was more of the thrill of getting the bag. I will end up selling the bag after some time if it doesn't get used. [emoji6]

Reactions: HazelLovesBags