Is anyone else tired of the Chanel Bag trend?

Yeah, I see Chanel in real life out mostly at high end shopping places, eateries, bars mainly in BH, the west side, and The OC. Yet, Chanel is everywhere in social media. LV I see everywhere, and yeah, some really bad and embarrassing fakes. Social Media is really making young kids aware of luxury brands at a young age. When my now 10 year old nice was 7 years old she asked for a Gucci marmont bag, I gave her the belt lol. At that age she knew about Chanel bags too, mainly just the name I am assuming. When I went to her 10 year bday party, her little friends complemented me wit’s my Dior bucket hat. My friend’s daughter asked for and got a LV pouchette bag at 11 and a Dior at 12. I (in my upper 40s) started liking designer handbags like Gucci, Prada, and Fendi when I was 16 and got my first LV only upon graduation of college. My friend lives in Newport Beach and works in real estate around Newport Beach/Laguna Beach, and not everyone carries Chanel or Hermès.

Reactions: Penelopepursula
Hmmm, to be fair, I blame my handbag/designer obsession from a young age (grade 5) when I started reading the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella.

To be even more fair, it's also how/when I started my luxury handbag collection, prior to turning 18 and while prices were somewhat sane.

Today LV doesn't even cross my mind as a result (besides Sofia Coppola's and the Cherry Murakami editions), although Chanel is still top of mind...

People do post and YT videos on them because it gets them the views and followers they are so desperately seeking.

That's the issue 100%.

Initially, I wasn't going to write a blog post about my Chanel Heart bag, because it was going to be just for me to enjoy privately.

... then I saw the demand online for information and my tune changed.

Like 2 days after posting it, it's one of my top pages. :shrugs:

(I also slightly snark on this concept of people posting luxury items for the Instagram posts/followers in the review lol.)

Yes. Honestly, I rarely use my chanel bags. Although, I’m not gonna lie, I do still want to get one M/L to complete my collection. Stupid, I know, but that’s the only size I’m missing and would really like to complete it.

Reactions: mia55
I was going to pull the trigger and buy a Chanel CF medium. But all of a sudden, I lose interest. Maybe it is from seeing them too much in social media. This is why this thread’s totle caught my eye. No offense though to those enjoying your Chanels! Enjoy them if you love them.

I see so many classics flaps around it’s hard to tell which are real or fake. I own about 8 bags - I’ve sold a few over the years - and I have purchased them all on the resale market and none are newer than 2008 and my half moon flap goes back to ‘89-‘90. I went into the boutique some years back and bought a bag, got home and couldn’t justify dropping that much cash for something that didn’t seem to be quality made-and this was at least 10 years ago. I don’t think the price is justified any longer and the secondary market is flooded- and everyone on IG seems to have “shows” selling the brand. I think in many ways the allure and exclusivity are gone.

I’m not active on social media (does TPF count? Lol) so I’m not even aware there’s a Chanel “trend” on YouTube, Instagram etc. I’m in NYC and while I see Chanel frequently, it is not any more ubiquitous than Hermes, LV, Gucci, Goyard etc (at least in my neighborhood).

Personally, I’ve liked Chanel since I was in college - when it wasn’t as popular as LV back in the day. Added my first Chanel a few years after graduating. Aside from BV, Chanel is the only designer brand I purchase and I generally don’t follow trends. While I appreciate that some Chanel fans bemoan the rising popularity of Chanel, it’s not going to stop me from loving and using my bags!

I’m not tired of the Chanel bag trend. I’m just tired of their price increases. I’ve been buying Chanel since 2000. I think I’m good with the pieces I’ve purchased over the years. Unless…they come out with a perfect red or navy bag. I don’t do social media, unless tpf counts. I don’t see too many Chanel out in the wild where I live. There’s more LV and Gucci worn.

I’m not tired of the Chanel bag trend. I’m just tired of their price increases. I’ve been buying Chanel since 2000. I think I’m good with the pieces I’ve purchased over the years. Unless…they come out with a perfect red or navy bag. I don’t do social media, unless tpf counts. I don’t see too many Chanel out in the wild where I live. There’s more LV and Gucci worn.
I agree 100% with you on the price increases; it is exhausting and ridiculous that the same bag just a week ago that was sitting on the shelf was $1k - $2k less than when the price increase took effect. I've been buying for awhile and I've seen some poor quality products in some seasons and some surprisingly amazing quality. Maybe they are reading TPF but there is no shortage of complaints about their quality but with 23S, I have been mildly surprised by the quality. I don't see a lot of people carrying Chanel and I think Chanel has reached a point that the majority of buyers are questioning the price now. I still like Chanel but do I see it as a trend, not really. I see a lot of contemporary brands, a dash of LV, Gucci, Dior and Hermes. Overall, I don't see a lot of Chanel. It is surprising to me that I don't see a lot of people carrying Chanel as the boutique I shop at has the lowest inventory across all the stores in my country and everything sells quickly.

Reactions: Cali2HI