Travel Invaluable tips

When traveling, please be on your best behavior!! I know it sounds silly but don't be an "ugly traveler". Don't go places expecting things. Don't be ignorant. Go with the flow and be kind and considerate to everyone. Don't demand things. Don't be loud, brash and obnoxious. Have some respect for the culture/country/people.

I'm not directing this towards people of any country because, while Americans tend get the "ugly American" tag while traveling, I've experienced plenty of rude, brash, and demanding people from other countries while traveling (or even dealing with visitors to the US).

Best rule of thumb: You're visiting another country. Act like a guest! Before your trip, purchase a book that will tell you the customs of the culture you're visiting and what's offensive/expected of visitors. Ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to offending people.

I'm not trying to rant -- this really is an "invaluable travel tip" lol :smile:

Last edited:
If you are not traveling with your husband take only panties that are well worn. Wear twice then discard. This leaves room in your suitcase for goodies and presents!
Lots of very fashionable ladies do this.

If you are traveling with your hubby, then wear your most romance-inspiring panties!

lol - i love it! i'm going to europe for 16 days and i've prepacked my underwear by rolling it up and putting it in large ziploc bags to make sure they stay rolled and compact - so that's another option.

When traveling, please be on your best behavior!! I know it sounds silly but don't be an "ugly traveler". Don't go places expecting things. Don't be ignorant. Go with the flow and be kind and considerate to everyone. Don't demand things. Don't be loud, brash and obnoxious. Have some respect for the culture/country/people.

Best rule of thumb: You're visiting another country. Act like a guest! Before your trip, purchase a book that will tell you the customs of the culture you're visiting and what's offensive/expected of visitors. Ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to offending people.

I'm not trying to rant -- this really is an "invaluable travel tip" lol :smile:

Excellent advice finzup!!!! :yes: :tup:

2.5 gallon ziploc bags are staples when we go anywhere (camping, the beach, etc). They are great for dirty clothes, damp clothes, sandy shoes, etc. They can also double as space saver bags since you can smush the air out of them. We have HUGE fluffy beach towels that we can shove in a 2.5 gallon ziploc and smoosh it down SO much.

RESEARCH where you are going. Learn about the culture, traditions, currency, food, etc.

I just got a ton of insect bites from bedbugs when I stayed in a hotel in Paris. Here are some travel tips from Wikipedia:

Since most bedbugs are carried by travellers through contact with beds and hotel rooms of infected locations, following are some tips for those travelling to hotels that might be at risk.

1. First look at the room to seek potential hiding places for bedbugs, such as carpet edges, mattress seams, pillow case linings, bedboards, wall trim or other tiny crack-like places bedbugs might hide.
  2. Next, look specifically at the mattress seams for signs of bedbug activity: droppings, eggs, bloodstains or even bedbugs themselves, hiding in tiny folds and seam lines.
  3. As mentioned, keep a flashlight nearby when sleeping, to immediately observe activity during the night without having to get up out of bed, thus giving bedbugs time to hide in safety.
  4. Never leave your clothing laying on the bed, or any location of possible infestation (as mentioned above). Instead, use hangers or hooks capable of keeping all cloth distant from the floor or bed.
  5. Close your suitcase, travel bag, when you're not using it. This way, during the night the bugs may move over top of your luggage with greater difficulty to get inside.
  6. Elevate your luggage off the floor to tables or chairs. These may also be hiding places, but less likely.
  7. Keep any bedbug you find (intact if possible) to show the hotel owner.
  8. If you have a bad feeling about a location, trust your instinct. Look carefully for possible activity, or change locations.

I've got a few:

- I place an empty shoe box in the middle of my checked bag; it forces me to leave enough space to bring back a few souvenirs, and I just toss it when I get to my destination
- I always order a small amount of the country's local currency in small bills (or change if you can get it) before I leave so I have coffee / vending / snack / tip money upon arrival and can get out of the airport without looking for an ATM or Bureau de Change
- Take one of those picture-point guides with you at all times; not only will it help if you don't know the language, but I've assisted other tourists who didn't speak my language with it as well (I believe in travel karma - help & be helped)
- Always take a snack - small bag of almonds or some granola bars, etc. It stinks to be stuck on a late night layover in an airport where everything is closed & you can't get vending

When traveling with children, you'll probably know to pack a change of clothes in a carry-on but when traveling to a place with a beach or pool don't forget a bathing suit too. My mom always did on our trips, and we could head straight to the water no matter what the status of our luggage was.

I usually pack my panties (disposable ones if I can find them!) in packing kits, and socks and bras together in another (socks inside my huge bra cups to keep their shape). When I get to hotel, I just toss the packing kits in dressers and I'm instantly organized. I know disposable panties are fugly (and unromantic) but in my experience, they hardly leave VPLs, look almost nude in white linen pants, and you can toss when done - no need to handle soiled undies. They're easy to find here in Asia. Caution: some friends of mine say their allergic to it.

I find that (when available) I let the concierge make my reservations. If your hotel is a quality institution you will get better tables and service, and they will tell you of out-of-the-way great places! I agree that we should be well behaved and well dressed on trips. Always remember to be kind to all the staff and SA in which you come in contact with. Remember, without them your trip would be hell!

travel tips:

1) Always just withdraw money from the ATM when you arrive at the airport. the rate is better.

2) South Korean banks do not take U.S. ATM cards. You have to go to a Citibank so bring cash to exchange.

3) You can bring and spend new and unfolded, unripped U.S. dollars in 10s, 5s or 1s to Cambodia.

4) Call your credit card company for the foreign exchange fee and choose the cheapest card.

5) Call your bank to see if they have alliances with international banks so you can avoid the ATM fees. Bank of America has alliances with a bank in London (I forgot) and Santander in Spain and Mexico. In Asia, usually you have to have Citibank to avoid the fee (Seoul, Tokyo).

6) Keep all gifts with you in your carry-on. Keep your dirty laundry on top of the pile in your check-in luggage.

7) Bring your student ID card to Europe! They give discounts. Topshop in London gives 10% to students and you also get cheaper entrance fees to tourist attractions (it doesn't hurt to ask either!). My card has no expiration date and I graduated from law school two years ago.

8) Bring flipflops for the shower and a pillowcase with bedsheet if you are backpacking it or staying at not-so-nice places as well as nice places.

9) E-mail a copy of your itinerary to someone at home. Give them a physical copy of your passport. Exchange copies of passports with traveling companions (even if you guy are going to be always together).

10) When you check into your hotel, pick up a biz card or address of the hotel so you can tell your taxi or ask someone where it is when you are trying to find your way home.

11) Bring the appropriate adapter for the country.

Reactions: LadyInLA
I've got a few:

- I place an empty shoe box in the middle of my checked bag; it forces me to leave enough space to bring back a few souvenirs, and I just toss it when I get to my destination

I like this idea. I don't usually find that I have no room to bring back purchases but this is a neat idea nonetheless.

For goodness sake: Don't just be presumptuous and start speaking English to every person you meet in a non-English speaking country. Learn a few phrases of the native language and carry around a little pocket dictionary or phrasebook to help you get around. How hard is it to learn "Two tickets please... a glass of water... the check, please... Where is the bathroom?" in another language?

I find it so rude and embarrassing when I observe travelers in foreign countries just assuming everyone speaks English, and start speaking right away to someone. It's more polite to at least attempt, or ask in their language if they speak English. Chances are, you will get more respect if you try.

ps. I'm not saying everyone does this, but I've observed it too many times! :smile: