introducing new dog?

Sep 14, 2007
I am having such a hard time introducing our new frenchie to our rottweiler. We had them "meet" at a neutral ground at a park...everything went fine so we brought them home. I tried to be even stevens when it came to attention and "good boy!" and pettings. Our rottie is sooo jealous of the puppy. The puppy comes over for attention and the rottie quickly runs over to brush him off.
We have had the puppy (who is 7-8 months) since Sunday so only 3 days. I had to yell in front of the puppy and he got scared. I mean I feel awful but the Rottie is being so pushy and he's normally so sweet and loving.
I have attached a picture of them both. If you have any suggestions for how to do this correctly (or better) please let me know.

:hrmm:

Attachments

• pbtobywinston.jpg
    pbtobywinston.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 166
Your puppy probably hasn't learned proper manners. It is the adult dogs "job" to teach the puppy proper behavior. I am sure there is a little jealousy, but the rottie is older and will be dominant over the pup. Does the Rottie growl or snarl at all? If he/she does, how does the puppy react?

I had a 10 yr old rottie when I got my bulldog puppy. The rottie snarled, & growled staking claim on her part of the house. The bully quickly learned to back off when she was told and the eventually became best friends. You should see signs, rotties ears back, body stiff, and then a low growl. That is all normal dog behavior, remember they have no other way of communicating.

I am having such a hard time introducing our new frenchie to our rottweiler. We had them "meet" at a neutral ground at a park...everything went fine so we brought them home. I tried to be even stevens when it came to attention and "good boy!" and pettings. Our rottie is sooo jealous of the puppy. The puppy comes over for attention and the rottie quickly runs over to brush him off.
We have had the puppy (who is 7-8 months) since Sunday so only 3 days. I had to yell in front of the puppy and he got scared. I mean I feel awful but the Rottie is being so pushy and he's normally so sweet and loving.
I have attached a picture of them both. If you have any suggestions for how to do this correctly (or better) please let me know.

:hrmm:

That is actually resource gaurding and should not be allowed. When he does this just simply get up and walk away. He is putting himself between you and what he sees as a threat to his. Good luck 3 days is not long enough for all involved to adjust. They will be best buddies in no time!

The rottweiler sort of fakes like he is going to bite the FB and also really growls. This tactic seems to do NOTHING for the FB who keeps at it. This is why I was afraid that he'd be hurt. The little FB lays low for two seconds after he is "scolded" by the rottie and then he's back for more.

Thanks to everyone for your help!! I really hope they can be friends!!:love:

Sounds familiar. My younger dog acted the same way to my son's terrier mix puppy in Febuary. My dog missed out on DS saying good by to him as dog decided to yell at puppy just before they left.

If the puppy had been staying longer than three days I would have not ever let them practice the bad behavior.

I would have kept all three dogs crated separately inside and just taken them for walks at the same time. At the park I would have played with each dog one at a time feeding all the dogs equally. One brings the toy back, all three get a cookie. My dogs only retrieve if they are paid well to bring the toy to me, they would rather just keep the toy.

When I brought young dog home 7 years ago I did introduce them outside the house and they were kept separate inside for a few days so they never touched, only smelled each other. I pottied them separately as well. I still feed them out of sight of one another - especially things like bones. I hand fed the dogs, same time at first then taking turns between the dogs. Cookie for Sassy, cookie for Maxwell - over and over again. I did rush this, Sassy is anxious over food and was grabbing too hard. Anyway, whenever anything good happens for the pup, good stuff happens for the rottie. Don't encourage any running around together so prey drive kicks in. That could be bad! Never leave them together even for an instant. Be extremely cautious about toys and food.

Guarding is to be expected when your happy home has been invaded by a little twerp of a bulldog! I would buy duplicate toys even. Don't ask rottie to share, that should help with the guarding, love the walking away suggestion. If you see any don't punish, figure out what happened and don't do that then train in tiny bits so dog gets the idea that he doesn't need to guard, everything is fine - the way I wrote to handle handfeeding for instance.

A really good animal behaviorist would be able to tell you if the growling is bad or just an adult telling an adolescent pipsqueak to mind his manners. I hate this type of discussion between dogs as it is so scary sounding.

Good luck, give it a couple months and you won't believe you were ever worried about this.

Kathyy gave you great advice. I would also recommend letting them work it out, with your supervision of course. Unless you see teeth beared, flat ears or lowered tails, let it go. If you see any of these signs, end the interaction immediately. A good rule to follow, if tails are wagging and ears are up/alert, let the interaction continue.
You mentioned that the Rottie was being nosy or pushy. That really isn't anything to be too concerned about, unless it is accompanied by the above signals. These two need to work out the order in the pack.

The rottweiler sort of fakes like he is going to bite the FB and also really growls. This tactic seems to do NOTHING for the FB who keeps at it. This is why I was afraid that he'd be hurt. The little FB lays low for two seconds after he is "scolded" by the rottie and then he's back for more.

Thanks to everyone for your help!! I really hope they can be friends!!:love:

FB is testing his limits....they are just like kids:P How is your rotties bite inhibition? My bulldog was taught not to bite from a young age, she will put a puppy in it's place, I have seen her stand over and pen a pushy pup, but she would never bite one.

They are adorable and will probably work it out, bulldogs are bullheaded and can sometimes be stubborn, or bullheaded. Not sure if frenchies are the same. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the responses!! They're really helping and make me feel better about our dog'sbeing friends!
I live at home right now but bought an apartment that I am fixing up. I will probably live there 3 or 4 days a week and Toby will live there with me. I want him to be friends with Winston so that he can hang out here with someone and my father who is also around during the day. I am around but my scheduled is mixed.
We have not left the two dogs alone and don't plan on it. What a difference 24 hours makes. Toby is so much better today. Winston brought out his bone and chewed it deliberately right in front of Toby and Toby just stared practically willing that bone to come to him. I bought him a smaller version at the pet store today so took him upstairs and he is chomping it while I type! It's not really for him to eat but just to play with and he LOVES IT!
Thanks again!:idea: