Into the Wild... Sorta

dbtbandit67

Gemini Sith
Oct 29, 2008
Please turn to this story for reference.

I have a fantasy. In it I'm backpacking around LA County taking up various freelance jobs that come my way, renting out rooms (from folks) for the night, returning home whenever I have to. I'll still be interning at my dream company a few days a week and I will hold on to my current job (I manage a small apartment, it only requires my physical presence a few days a month) and sustain other commitments. It's a gradual transition into independence Mark Twain style lol

Last edited:
What "various freelance jobs" consists of exactly is maybe being a poker dealer in various home games and anything else that pays cash that day. You get the drift. My problem is finding these gigs.

I want to be like Woody Harrelson in No Country for Old Men. Minus the drugs and violence.

This doesn't look too good. At least my fantasy has a reset/timeout button lol. Isn't a Twainian adventure possible anymore?! Since I have experience managing apartments and running general errands for property owners I suppose I can keep doing that. The work !@#$%^& sucks though.

Last edited:
What exactly is the fantasy here? To do what you want and live day-to-day or to hold your internship/job, make a decently stable living, and progress in your career while still otherwise doing what you want and living day-to-day?

Unfortunately, life is not a movie honeypie! Do you want to just backpack across country with a planned route? Or do you want to live like a hobo? I personally don't think its a good idea to plan a trek anywhere on foot or by car without a game plan and some financial back up. If you are solely planning on living off the kindness of others, again, life is not a movie. Its a good thing you have a home base to return to if you have to but depending on freelance jobs to just fall into your lap is not realistic. Especially in this economy. Don't want to burst your bubble but you can still have an adventure and planning ahead won't ruin it - it will make it more doable.

I think you have an unrealistically romanticized view of the situation. While people can and do live day-to-day, and it can be adventurous in some sense, it is typically funded by real work and real struggle.

What "various freelance jobs" consists of exactly is maybe being a poker dealer in various home games and anything else that pays cash that day.

If you're planning this, I would expect that the vast, vast majority of jobs that pay cash for one day will be hard labor, not social, cute game nights. Realistically, I would plan with the assumption that none of your cash will come from "being a poker dealer," all of it must source from either savings, a traditional job, or one-day work that is neither easy, skill-based, nor fun.

Dealing social cute game nights every night sounds like fun haha

I think I'm just going to go on more walks and take pictures as I go. In Google Maps-Streetview you can upload your own images via Panaromia, it's also good to refer to when you want to check out some amazing views. And I get to go home at the end of night as opposed to sleeping in the park lol