Interview...what to wear?

Apr 19, 2009
I have an interview at boutique known for their high end jeans. Would a black pencil skirt, black heels, and blouse be OK or is that too dressy for a place like that? Also I've never attempted to wear a pencil skirt in winter weather and I hate the look of leggings/ opaque stockings with a skirt. Should I go sheer skin tone stockings if I end up wearing this?

I would never wear jeans to an interview even though the store sells jeans. The rule of thumb for interview dressing is dress one step up from the regular attire worn at the place. Make sure the outfit you are wearing isn't too office-y. If you are wearing a black skirt, wear sheer black hose if you don't like the higher denier hose. Nude hose looks best with lighter coloured attire IMHO.

As a business student, I have worn a skirt several times in the dead of winter with sheer stockings (not fun). I usually wear black slacks though... but if you have none, a skirt is fine. I don't think you're overdoing it since you didn't mention wearing a suit jacket/blazer.

It's not that cold anymore though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I would wear whatever other sales associates are expected to wear, with your own "flair." I'm sure appearance is huge in a retail job like that, and they'd probably appreciate seeing you the way you'll dress on a daily basis, if hired.