Interesting article my son sent me via Facebook about Louis Vuitton

I love LV bags because most of their designs go with anything you wear. I personally like Speedy B 35. It can be used as a handbag and look sophisticated or used with strap and still look fabulous and chic.

That's why it was surprising when I went in to LV store thinking to trade a birthday gift from my husband (Estrela MM) for a Speedy B 35. The SA who helped me said I would be crazy for wanting to do that. I didn't expect that reaction at all, I thought she was going to support me for whatever choice I would make. She said what I was trying to do was like "downgrading" since Estrela is way better bag. I was very disappointed and turned off by her. Because not only she lowered the brand she represents, but also judging my taste! I know I was trading more expensive bag for a cheaper one but this is my first LV and i asked myself if it was going to be the only LV i can have .. what would I want? Then I can't get Audrey Hepburn's picture with her speedy out of my mind. To me speedy is iconic, classic and forever. Do I care that it cost less than $1200 or a lot of people having them? No I don't! Actually it's a plus for me for not having to pay more. It's not about the price, it's the look that captured me.

I also have a good reason why I was returning Estrela to get Speedy B. Me and my husband are going to Europe in April so I thought I should get Speedy B now and maybe I can buy Estrela later in Paris and save more bucks that way. Anyway, I ended up keeping my Estrela cuz that was what my husband said he wanted me to have for my first LV and it was his choice for my birthday gift. I love my Estrela and still planning to get a Speedy B 35 soon. I don't really care that everybody owns one. I like the bag and it's all about how I feel, not others. I don't buy bags just to show off. So I couldn't care less.

@ AAdams - Thank you for posting about this article, I found it very thought-provoking :smile:

well said. i was scanning though some celeb magazine and i did not noticed any lv being carried by them

Hmmm - you've certainly caused a stir over here. Like another poster mentioned, I have noticed that you often have something derogatory to say about LV. Personally I love LV and whilst I do like more of the all-leather and L.E. lines, all my bag choices are based on what reflects my style and not on proving to the world that I can afford items of a certain price and above. That being said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and it is no skin of my nose if you dislike LV.

However I did find your comment above interesting as it suggests that you are one of those people that your earlier comments suggest you are rather disdainful off. You mentioned that you disliked people who seem to carry LVs (or what you consider 'cheap' LVs) in an attempt to project a more affluent image than is the case but scanning magazines to see what the next ridiculous celeb trend is would fit in with that same preconception. As I said before whether you appreciate or dislike LV is of little consequence to me but this persistent bashing suggests something greater than a simple dislike of a brand. I'm not a fan of Coach (and not because of price point or overexposure - its never had a large presence in the UK so its more a case of aesthetics) but I've not had any reason to repeatedly chant this across the forums. I feel like you have some strange personal resentment towards LV, perhaps from a bad experience, but who knows and it just seems a shame that you feel it so necessary to repeatedly react to this.

I could be way off the mark - just some amature analysis on my part but your comments come across as young and rather foolish and I hope that's the result of age and not ignorance.

Great article. Accompanies the short book I just re-read. "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster" I agree that LV is losing it's exclusivity but that isn't a reason why people like us, who can afford it, to stop buying because that cashier at Walmart can buy a Speedy now or that millionaire driving the BMW bought the same a Speedy too. But items because you love them and love the quality. Not because you can tote around with your nose in the air because you own an LV bag.

The few items I have are vintage stuff because the styles are different and the newer stuff I have was limited edition. Like the Groom line, the Perfo stuff, and the LVoe/Groom bandeau. The average joe who is carrying the Speedy doesn't know what the Groom Line is, or know of the Fringe Bags, or the Mirroir line, or the Eye Love line. Thats whats sets people aside from being a buyer and being an LV lover.

We are LV lovers, be proud of your bags! Not ashamed that more people are buying them because people are saving their money for extravagant gifts.

Honestly, I don't see a problem. LV is my only love when it comes to handbags and I wish everyone here would wear one because it shows they have the same taste as I do :P
When I go to the city I see a lot of speedys but I still think they are beautiful bags.
Hubby and I are what you would call typical middle class and I hardly know ppl here that are really into LV the way I am.

Some of our clients have a lot of money and they rather show it by their cars, houses and jewellery than their bags.

So I think it is the middle class that is buying the bags anyway. I guess LV could shut down if the middle class stops buying LV.

Yesterday I saw a lady wearing a Trevi while I was wearing mine but still it looked different on her... And I was admiring her good taste :lol:

Although my Bloomsbury is less exspensive so far I haven't seen one IRL while I was carrying mine.

I guess it also depends on how popular a certain style is. I have a over 20 years old Marly and I still would wear it (have to fix the zipper first).

Some styles can look so last year but not with most of Louis so I guess that's why there's a lot of Louis out there and ppl love to buy it.

Interesting article and so true. I just arrive in Hong Kong a few days ago and everywhere I turn there's someone carrying a LV. There's this obsession with Chinese/Asian women with LV. Even in Toronto, if you go into a LV store, majority of the customers are Asians. Even though there is a huge price gap between LV and coach, having my LV in HK feels like what my friend once described with owning a coach: "EVERYONE'S GRANDMOTHER OWNS ONE"

well said. i was scanning though some celeb magazine and i did not noticed any lv being carried by them

First of all, being a celebrity doesn't mean you have good taste. Sometimes they wear the most hideous things and they think they are rocking it.. So I could care less what they are wearing because I am not a sheep. I decide on my own what looks good on me. You really need to get a life, honestly.

I'm wondering if there are a lot of fakes also being made and worn there in China as well.

I am sure not every one is wearing a fake but if I were LV, I would be far more concerned about the brand also being common because more knock offs are being made and thus making the brand more "common". Here in the US, the brand is not what I would consider "rare" but I don't see almost every woman wearing an LV.

So, if that is what is going on in China...I would definitely wonder about fakes being made and worn as well. Just a thought.

The poor people do not know what LV (or any other luxury brand) is.

The middle class and wealthier people rarely carry fakes.

Although China may be the number one country in producing counterfeit goods, I can say with much certainty that the majority is for exportation (just like everything else that China produces from toys, to clothing, to furniture, to electronics...etc). Very little stays in the country despite the fact that one may see a lot of fakes in corner stores due to the sheer number of the population. Similarly, a lot of fakes within the country are also purchased by foreigners as gifts for friends.

qaz393: you are so hilariously funny I had to sign in to post despite not being a frequent poster!! I am one of those "Eva people" you refer to. I rock my Eva 365 days a year despite having a Mahina XL (amongst other bags including Chanels). I've used my Mahina maybe twice? since I purchased it a few years back coz it's just too heavy... So "Eva people" can afford more, but I carry what I like thankfully, not according to price to impress clueless people like you! :P

AAdams said:
I think the article is implying how popular the brand has become in China. I see nothing wrong with carrying a brand you love. I don't have a Hermes because personally I don't like the style of most of their bags, not because I cannot afford one. On the other hand, alot of people on here love Hermes. Are they as widely seen as LV?, no. Their price point has a lot to do with that and that's fine if it gives the brand more exclusivity. LV does appeal to more people because they offer a broader range of styles and price levels that appeal to everyone. That may be one of the reasons I love to carry it.

I say carry what you love and be happy, I am;)

Agree 100% on your point regarding LV and Hermes (just not feeling it). But also, I know this is not everywhere but in my area a lot (safe to say a majority) of LV's being seen around town are not authentic. It's either a complete bootleg that LV has never produced or a knockoff like a Speedy with feet & the plate that's on the Galliera. It's kinda funny, lol! I buy LV because I think it's a beautiful brand and I love the patterns & the craftsmanship of the bags, not the exclusivity.