Tech Instagram question: constant messages from strangers?

pmburk

O.G.
Jul 10, 2008
I have a pretty small instagram account, around 100 followers or so. Most of my pictures are pretty boring (cats, makeup, food, etc.) I only have a few photos of myself & my husband, and certainly nothing at all suggestive. I'm not posting bikini shots or anything like that. LOL.

I get constant direct messages from men I don't know on instagram - literally 2-3 per day. Mostly just things like, 'Hi how are you today?' or 'You have such a unique smile, you're a beautiful woman.'

Is this normal? Is this a dating thing? Some kind of Nigerian royalty scam? I have asked my other friends on IG, and none of them have dealt with this. My husband and I have had a good laugh over it, but frankly, it's getting kind of annoying constantly declining these. Will setting my account to private fix the problem? Or can someone look at my account and tell me what may be attracting this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: gelbergirl
Do they have friends in common with you? If not, it could be a scam. I get messages from women all the time, but they're usually telling me to go to some sex site. From what I can tell, they're bots that possibly work off tags I've posted in my pics or from people's pics I've liked.

Do they have friends in common with you? If not, it could be a scam. I get messages from women all the time, but they're usually telling me to go to some sex site. From what I can tell, they're bots that possibly work off tags I've posted in my pics or from people's pics I've liked.

No, no friends in common. It seems to be completely random. I too wondered if they are some kind of bots, so I responded to one of them and the conversation was normal, but veering into "what are you wearing" territory. LOL. Maybe I need to cool it with the #catsofinstagram hashtags for a while. :biggrin:

I must be an old fogey, because I didn't realize that was a 'thing' on instagram!

My account's currently public, do you think setting it to private will make any difference?

I must be an old fogey, because I didn't realize that was a 'thing' on instagram!

My account's currently public, do you think setting it to private will make any difference?
It will make a big difference! I would say this is normal, as I encounter the same but I never respond because the convos always go the same way lol....