Inflated FOS return postage.....what???!!

alansgail

Feb 15, 2014
So I had purchased a Baseman 'Lou' tote from the previous outlet sale ($89.50+9.99 shipping). I knew that if I decided not to keep this bag that I was on the hook for the return shipping.

So the bag came and the box was HUGE! It was also quite mangled/mis-shapen and there was a ton of paper filler inside the box......whatever. I just thought it was not efficiently packaged and not well thought out.

I decided not to keep the tote so used the provided return label and took it into my local UPS store today. To my surprise the nice young man told me that the cost to return this item to Florida would be $39+change. I laughed! I don't think so. He said that because Coach is such a huge company they get a great shipping price break (no great surprise) but I had him cancel the transaction and said that I'd ship it through USPS using the appropriate size box, etc.
My goal is to return this item for less than $10 or wait until I visit my sister who lives near an outlet.

Call me cheap!:annoyed:

So I had purchased a Baseman 'Lou' tote from the previous outlet sale ($89.50+9.99 shipping). I knew that if I decided not to keep this bag that I was on the hook for the return shipping. So the bag came and the box was HUGE! It was also quite mangled/mis-shapen and there was a ton of paper filler inside the box......whatever. I just thought it was not efficiently packaged and not well thought out.
I decided not to keep the tote so used the provided return label and took it into my local UPS store today. To my surprise the nice young man told me that the cost to return this item to Florida would be $39+change. I laughed! I don't think so. He said that because Coach is such a huge company they get a great shipping price break (no great surprise) but I had him cancel the transaction and said that I'd ship it through USPS using the appropriate size box, etc.
My goal is to return this item for less than $10 or wait until I visit my sister who lives near an outlet. Call me cheap!:annoyed:

That's a lot of money for shipping, I don't blame you.

Just a reminder that coach only accepts returns within 30 days of the purchase so visit your sister soon! Also, if you purchase with PayPal you will probably have to send it back to get a refund. If you used a credit card and bring it with you to the outlet, they will refund it to the same credit card. If not, they may just give you a merchandise credit. Good luck!

If you take it to a regular Coach store (not an outlet), they will send it back for you for free. I just returned a Crosby bag from FOS yesterday and was pleasantly surprised - I didn't even have the box because it was too big to carry through the mall.

If you take it to a regular Coach store (not an outlet), they will send it back for you for free. I just returned a Crosby bag from FOS yesterday and was pleasantly surprised - I didn't even have the box because it was too big to carry through the mall.

I would love to return to a regular store but don't have one anywhere near me.

I would love to return to a regular store but don't have one anywhere near me.

Oh, that's too bad. My closest outlet is over an hour away, so I was pretty happy to find out that they will accept returns at the mall store. I believe that is a change since they went to 30-day return. Hopefully you can find a less expensive way to ship it back... Good luck!

Reactions: alansgail

I'm not sure if that is consistently the case for all retail, boutique stores - perhaps only if they know that there isn't an outlet near by. I haven't tried it recently, but in the past my nearest retail coach store would only give merchandise credit for an outlet or FOS return, but that's usually okay since I spend so much money on coach anyway!

But recently I was at the retail store during PCE and I overheard an SA talking to a customer. She asked about returns and he explained the 30 day policy but added "but if the item was purchased at the outlet store we will have to refer you to the outlet for returns."

We have 2 outlets in the area and maybe the local boutique stores were getting overwhelmed with outlet returns and so they now refuse to deal with them?

I'm not sure if that is consistently the case for all retail, boutique stores - perhaps only if they know that there isn't an outlet near by. I haven't tried it recently, but in the past my nearest retail coach store would only give merchandise credit for an outlet or FOS return, but that's usually okay since I spend so much money on coach anyway!

But recently I was at the retail store during PCE and I overheard an SA talking to a customer. She asked about returns and he explained the 30 day policy but added "but if the item was purchased at the outlet store we will have to refer you to the outlet for returns."

We have 2 outlets in the area and maybe the local boutique stores were getting overwhelmed with outlet returns and so they now refuse to deal with them?
Interesting... my FP boutique will take the return but the store takes a hit on their sales but it drops off at the end of the month. I've never returned outlet purchase there but did ask and that's what I was told. So, they could be telling customers to return to the outlet so their store won't take a hit on their sales quota.

Reactions: katev

Like most things Coach, it seems like it depends on which store you go to and who you talk to. I have a local FP store thats about 10 minutes away, and a much bigger FP store about 40 minutes away. I returned it to the bigger store yesterday and they were all smiles and rainbows, but I think its because I was looking very intently at the denim Rogue!! (thinking of getting one, but MAN that's a lot of money for a purse). So I called the smaller store this morning just to see, and they said it was now Coach policy that they accept FOS returns at the FP store, and will ship them back to JAX. They didn't sound very thrilled about it, probably because its more work for them and no incentive. Its also written on the back of the Coach outlet receipt that you can return to any Coach boutique or outlet. I think the policy changed when they went to a 30-day return policy. I know for FOS you used to have to either ship back or return to an outlet.

I sent my bag back to Jacksonville priority mail for $12+change. It was shipped to me for $9.99. So while I had every intention of keeping my purchase it didn't work out for me and I lost about $12.50 or so on my purchase......not earth shattering but something to take into account next time I order from CoachOutlet and there is no free shipping.

Yikes on that return shipping fee!!

My local Coach boutiques take back outlet items, and there is an outlet within 20 miles from there. The ones that refuse may just not want to take the hit on a return.

Yikes on that return shipping fee!!

My local Coach boutiques take back outlet items, and there is an outlet within 20 miles from there. The ones that refuse may just not want to take the hit on a return.

Agreed! I also find it very odd in this day and age that a company couldn't have their systems set up to make sure the return goes against the original store where the purchased happened and not the one who is processing it.
I used to work for a store that didn't carry designer shoes. Sometimes we would get a return in the hundreds of dollars for a pair of designer shoes that were purchased in one of our larger stores....thus putting our department in the "hole" for that day. I never thought that was fair to pit the merchandise from a full line store against that of a smaller one but......our store eventually went under. No big surprise.
Couldn't compete with the higher end merch available at the big stores.

I try not to buy online because I like to see the bag in person. (I know some fellow TPFers live a distance from either a FP Store or an Outlet.)
I wish shipping was Always Free!!

I have ordered from QVC for certain items and deals. The shipping was expensive..(IMO) QVC lowered the price of shipping. Well, I found out why..They ship to you UPS/Mail Innovations. Depending on item...$3 (reasonable)..If you have to return, you have to use their Return Label for USPS..Which can turn out to be $7 or more!! (QVC won't allow you to just ship regular mail.) :sad:

Lynne :biggrin:

I try not to buy online because I like to see the bag in person. (I know some fellow TPFers live a distance from either a FP Store or an Outlet.)
I wish shipping was Always Free!!

I have ordered from QVC for certain items and deals. The shipping was expensive..(IMO) QVC lowered the price of shipping. Well, I found out why..They ship to you UPS/Mail Innovations. Depending on item...$3 (reasonable)..If you have to return, you have to use their Return Label for USPS..Which can turn out to be $7 or more!! (QVC won't allow you to just ship regular mail.) :sad:

Lynne :biggrin:

Thanks for this info, guess it always pays to research and read the fine print. Sometimes Coach does offer free shipping/returns which is nice. I'll watch for those sales!