Indian new year party!

i found a pic of ashley judd wearing a sari!!!:graucho: My friend has the same look whenever she wears the sari and all that!!! Now I really want a sari and the bling to match!!! :drool:

Attachments

• ashley-judd.jpg
    ashley-judd.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 137
Wow!!! What a fascinating thread!! The images I'm getting from all the descriptions is amazing!!Diamond tends to be the stone of choice,as historically it originated from India as it was first discovered there and was belived to have magical properties!!! The Crown Jewels has a diamond of Indian origin,the Koh-I-Noor,mountain of light and it is just fabulous!!!!! Its an oval stone that comes in at a whopping.......................................108.92cts!!!!!!!!! From text I've got on it it says it was originally.................186cts!!!!!!!!!! But was cut from a round stone into an oval,it was the Shah of Persia who gave it its gorgeous name in 1739,how delightfully romantic!!!

And watching all the elephants,saris ,jewellery........................I would so love to have been there to see that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!!! What a fascinating thread!! The images I'm getting from all the descriptions is amazing!!Diamond tends to be the stone of choice,as historically it originated from India as it was first discovered there and was belived to have magical properties!!! The Crown Jewels has a diamond of Indian origin,the Koh-I-Noor,mountain of light and it is just fabulous!!!!! Its an oval stone that comes in at a whopping.......................................108.92cts!!!!!!!!! From text I've got on it it says it was originally.................186cts!!!!!!!!!! But was cut from a round stone into an oval,it was the Shah of Persia who gave it its gorgeous name in 1739,how delightfully romantic!!!

And watching all the elephants,saris ,jewellery........................I would so love to have been there to see that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Magical properties???? Oh dear!!! I need some more diamonds then, Chaz! LOL :roflmfao:I'm such an oddball LOL:nuts:

Magical properties???? Oh dear!!! I need some more diamonds then, Chaz! LOL :roflmfao:I'm such an oddball LOL:nuts:

Not much enabling needed in your direction is there!!! LOL!!!
Another snippet for you,India was once THE place to get pink diamonds from,that had such execptional color and quality and became known as Golconda pinks!!! From what I remember I think the source has long since become extinct,but they are quite legendary as the most beautiful soft baby pinks with a slight undertone of the softest violet............................................................sigh!!!

Well, I mean..the Hope Diamond WAS discovered in India! :P

I find that my mother likes to match her sets to her saris...What someone said before about people planning their outfits months in advance and getting jewelry to match is totally true!!

I wish I could take pictures of all my sets...but we keep everything in a safe at the bank, and just take what we need when we need it.

Hyderabad..a city in the south of India is known for it's pearls..its like the Pearl Capital of the World or something like that. Pearls are sooo abundant there that they are reasonably priced..I often buy small pearl bracelets for my friends for their birthdays/Christmas.

For Christmas, I'm getting an absolutely wonderful pearl set that I've lusted after, the jewelers made a set for one of my fave Indian celebrities, Priyanka Chopra and I've wanted it ever since I saw her wearing it!...The one I'm getting is a really equisite South Sea Tahitian or whatever type or something like that..not the cheap, common ones that you can always find in India. I'm so excited..I'll post pictures in December :smile: It's 3 rows of big fat pearls...gray, baby pink and white. necklace, bracelet and earrings..usually too plain for my liking since I like more ornate jewelry but yeah I'm so excited!

^ Sounds beautiful! Would love to see pics when they arrive!

Many times I've gone up and down University Ave in Berkeley, looking into the sari shops there and seeing some gorgeous, ornate jewelry sets. I would love to have one, along with the chance to wear them to the appropriate events!

I went to Diwali with a friend one year and I borrowed a sari and piled on all the 24k jewelry I had, necklace upon necklace, bracelet upon bracelet, etc. I must've looked like a mess - not put together at all! But it was so much fun!!!

well im am pakistani -
its such a big hype when the wedding season is upon you - especially december jan - u need to get atleast 20 dresses made (custom made mostly in pak.) and all need to have matchign jewellery...

when a girl gets married she is loaded with jewellery from her parents and also inlaws.. its wicked!
i get diamond earrings when my brothers get married -

it is more tradition than competition - :smile:
and not everybody gets overdressed :smile:

here are some pakistani designers!! enjoy
hsystudio.com
nomiansari.ws
atelierkarma.com

enjoy:tup:

:smile: mhm, my mom is a low key haute coture sari designer (half indian :biggrin:) and we have some regualr clients that dont wear the same sari more than once, and in indian societey, you are actually judged by what you wear, even if you're butt ugly and wearing a nice sari youll get loads of compliments :P

i am indian...and let me tell you about jewelry!!!:blink:

back in the days, parents would send off their daughter with 'dowry' as her possessions that no one had any right to own but her, not even her husband. the daughter would wear it, and when it came time for her daughter's marriage, she would give a few of her pieces of jewelry to her as her dowry along with jewelry that the families (maternal/paternal) buy for her, and this would go on and on...

i actually have an eye at a couple of pieces in my mother's collection that i want ::wink wink:: and will have to steer my older sister eyes away from...lol...

she has this EXQUISITE uncut diamond necklace (kundan work) with enamel work (meenakari work) on the underside of the necklace in 22k and she also 2 pairs of bangles that are about 100g 22k gold. they have like roses going all around them with detail scroll work carved into them.

the latter piece of jewelry is something that every bride in my family receives or is given to (one who is entering the family).

the indian culture, when it comes to jewelry is about tradition within the family and the passing down of heirloom pieces that can no longer be made due to EXTREMELY high labor costs (sometimes more than the jewelry itself!) or lack of artisans who know how to make the piece.

[extra: the indian MAHARAJAHS and MAHARANIS (kings and queens in the 17-19th century) had most of their jewelry made by either family employed artisans or by European jewelry designers such as CARTIER, VAN CLEEF & ARPELS, etc.]

^^ example of this

http://www.royal-magazin.de/india/baroda-emeralds-maharani.htm

w6_08a_m.jpg

w6_04b_m.jpg
Aish3.JPG