I'm worried about being blacklisted :(

StarBrite310

Purse & Jewelry Fanatic!
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
I have no clue if this situation would even warrant being blacklisted, but this has NOT been a good year for me and Louis to say the least.

Before this year, I had bought myself tons of LV and maybe have only returned a couple times or exchanged. Nothing excessive at all. This year?.....yikes!!!

So I was offered an LV for my birthday this past March and that's when the problems arose. I just could not make up my mind on the bag I wanted. To get right down to it, between February and March of this year, I returned 4 bags total, and exchanged one that I eventually wound up returning anyway. Let me stress that nothing was ever worn and I returned the item a day or so later. I did not mean to keep returning, but I seriously and honestly could not make up my mind and when I finally did, the bag I got was defective upon inspection at home. A thread was loose! I then got so fed up with LV, I decided to just forget it and I wound up asking for something else for my birthday instead.

A couple months later I bought two luggage tags, which I had hot stamped, and some stationary. Those I kept :tup:

Here is the reason why I am worried. Last week I bought two LV items as Christmas gifts for friends. Unfortunately for my LV account status, I wound up giving them a different present at the last moment, after finding something in Chanel which I felt truly suited my friends better. Thus 2 more returns this year :-s

I have no clue what is going on with me and LV and I feel soooo bad. Can I get blacklisted or flagged for this? The woman at the store today was giving me such dirty looks after seeing my account on the computer, like she thought I was crazy for returning so much, and I agree it has been crazy. I am for sure never gonna buy another LV now unless I am 100000% sure about it.

If you see my account before this year, it was purchase after purchase with maybe 1 or 2 returns at the most over a course of many years.

Do you think I have a reason to be scared over this? :sad:

I would hope not. I do make a lot of purchases but when I'm not sure about something it gets returned. I have never had any problems but I'm not sure what LV considers excessive. Do you have a regular SA you use?

I would think that would be considered excessive and yes, there is a risk. Is there anything you might buy and keep? I'm pretty close friends with my SA. They keep very close tabs on returns.

I think it all depends on the reasons why you're returning. I have made a lot of purchases and returns as well this year but none of it was my fault. For example, I purchased three gallieras within two weeks and returned all of them the next day or the day after because they were defective. I was told one thing yet received another. Matter of fact, I should black list LV for keep sending defective products. As long as you're returning something in resaleable condition then what's the problem?

I think it all depends on the reasons why you're returning. I have made a lot of purchases and returns as well this year but none of it was my fault. For example, I purchased three gallieras within two weeks and returned all of them the next day or the day after because they were defective. I was told one thing yet received another. Matter of fact, I should black list LV for keep sending defective products. As long as you're returning something in resaleable condition then what's the problem?

I agree about blacklisting LV for defective products :P I'm sooo sick of alignment issues in particular that I can scream. It's unacceptable really, especially for the prices.

I would think that would be considered excessive and yes, there is a risk. Is there anything you might buy and keep? I'm pretty close friends with my SA. They keep very close tabs on returns.

I am planning on buying a bag and for sure keeping it in a couple months when new batches come into the stores. The bags I have seen now do not look good due I'm sure to the fact that they were probably rushed after the "drought" to be out in time for Christmas.

If I were you I'd really really research the heck out of the bag/item I was thinking of buying. I've only ever once considered exchanging (we cannot return in Aus) and in the end decided against it. If you do your research there really should be no need to return unless it's due to defects (which is in no way your fault ;)).

Go in and try it on, walk away try it on again a week later. Read all the threads in the forum on the item. I personally wouldn't buy anything for friends unless they had told me 100% they wanted it.... I'd hate to be blacklisted, it would be so embarrassing!

yes, i would say that is an excessive amount of returns, especially for that short period of time. i've actually seen customers blacklisted at other retailers for similar situations. i have never worked for LV, but i have spent significant time working for specialty retailers.

if you want to get something for a friend, you can always get them a gift card. i've personally had 3 return/exchanges - 1 defective exchanged for the same item (in 2006), 1 defective exchanged for a different item (in 2010), and 1 gift exchanged for a different item (in 2008) - in 11 years.

i think exchanging a defective item should be treated differently in their computer system, but it probably isn't when they look at your transaction history. personally, i think there's a huge difference between a return of a defective item and a return just because you changed your mind. a return does take additional time of the associates and keeps the product out of the hands of another person, so there is a cost to the company. :sad:

Well after all those returns in the spring, I never received any letter from LV so I think I will be okay. I went 6 + months without returns there and as I mentioned, before this year I had bought so many things and probably returned 1-2x over a course of many many years.

Returns are a tough business for specialty retailers. It's not like you're returning a mass produced good like a DVD player that they can just put back on the shelf. They may not even be able to resell the item after it's returned even if it looks like it's in perfect shape. Six returns in a short amount of time is a lot. You could definitely get flagged as being a "bad customer" because of this.

Do you have a SA that you have a good relationship with that you could ask about this?

Well after all those returns in the spring, I never received any letter from LV so I think I will be okay. I went 6 + months without returns there and as I mentioned, before this year I had bought so many things and probably returned 1-2x over a course of many many years.

LV is not going to send you any written correspondence stating that you've been blacklisted, they would be just setting themselves up for a lawsuit! I also think your returns were excessive and No, I don't think the fact that you haven't received a letter means you are "out of the woods". In the six months where you made no returns, did you make any major purchases? IF they were to blacklist you, the likelyhood is that no one would say anything directly to you, it would be more along the lines of telling you the product you want is not available or providing you with so little attention that you'd probably go away. I understand that you've purchased a lot in the past, in the past economy, most of us did. I would give you three pieces of advice. 1. DO NOT BUY anything that you have ANY question about. 2. Look the bag over before you buy it, for any flaws, alignment issues or defects. 3. And only buy what you are certain you aren't going to return.

I actually had to go buy some more stationary there the other day for my LV spiral book and I had no problems at all, thank god. Nothing was said to me and my SA was as kind as ever. I felt very relieved. I am planning to buy a new LV bag in Vegas next month, but I am going to make sure it is absolutely PERFECT before I leave the store. I just hate it though when SA's are on your neck and you can't be alone to pick the very best one out of all the inventory they have on a product. They stand over you and say things like, "they are all the same". We know very well they are not "all the same" :P

That's excessive.

I have never ever returned any luxury item in the past and I don't think I will in the future. I've exchanged maybe 3-4 times of all my stuff (bags, shoes, clothing...etc), but always bought something of equal or greater value.

LV may or may not black-list you, and if they do, they certainly will not inform you in writing... That's just asking for legal trouble with consumer rights.

With all this said, you should consider your purchases carefully and make sure you absolutely love every piece. It is unfair for retailers as well as future clients who end up choosing the same bag as you returned. Everyone wants to have the "luxury experience" and feel that they have bought something special for themselves, no client would appreciate knowing that someone else has played with their bag just like how you want to pick out the "perfect" bag - which of course I have say that there is no "perfect" item but this is NOT to say that every single piece is defective.

I think it would be illegal to blacklist you. I couldn't decide between the monogram or damier for one bag once and the SA actually told me to buy both and take it home to see which one went with my outfits better. I can't believe they would turn your down your business just for returning bags that were never used! I have purchased 7 items in the past few months and returned 4. Two of the four were the two bags I was deciding between. I ended up returning both of those to purchase a more expensive bag. I don't think I have been blacklisted yet...