I'm craving for a square tote, should i get one in this style?

should i get a square tote style ?

• yes, it's a nice big bag, and the shape is cute.

• no, don't get it, the design is not classic enough.

Results are only viewable after voting.

delmilano

loves b bags
O.G.
Jul 11, 2007
I have never wanted this style before, tried one on at the printemps today in anthra, asked Eric my sweet SA to empty the bag for me to try on (it was stuffed with paper, it was looking very fat) and i was impressed by the cool and different look of this bag. when it's flat, i found it cool, the anthra one i tried on was quite soft and the corners that slouched down made it less HUGE looking. i loved how it looked with the strap on the shoulder and across the body. liked it less with the handles on one shoulder. it's a big bag but the leather enveloped my body, and nicely wrapped by hips and waist.
What do you guys think about this style? love it? hate it? for those who have bought it, i'd love to see mod pics and hear your thoughts about this style. are you using it as an everyday bag?
i thought the square tote looked weird when it first came out but now i like it. the size i love most in my collection is the pt, then the twiggy. my courier is used for travelling only, not as an everyday bag. i like the square tote because it looks different from other bals in my collection. a new fresh style.
please help me with my decision. im thinking about one in tempete.

Last edited:
I tried one on at BalNY and just thought it was weird. It only looks good flat, so if I were to put in only half of the things I normally carry, it would just look lumpy. I voted no, but not because it's not classic looking, I think it looks cool, it's just a bag that at least personally, I know I would never wear.

thanks amiekbs8 for your input and honest opinion. it's not a classic bal style for sure. but i felt attracted when i tried it on. it looked different from the usual bal styles.
beauxgoris : nope unfortunately, i don't have a picture of the tempete square tote. i tried it on, the leather was nice, it's more blue than grey.

This is the regular square tote that is squared off at the edges and has regular length handles, right?

I don't particularly like this style, not even for the fact that its a "new" design. The bag looks awkward in photos, but to its defense, I have never tried it on before. It could be the best bag/fit for you!

Saw the bag at Barney's, a whole lot of them were just laying there. Went to inspect, and wasn't impressed so I moved on.

Who knows though, it could be one of those things you have to buy and use to see how she will break in. I like that the corners of the one you saw was already getting softer - that seems like it would help. :coolio:

I think it is hard to answer without knowing how tall you are. I have seen this bag IRL and although i do like the shape, it was HUGE on me. I think it looked bigger on me than my WE. The only other drawback is that since it is a flat tote bag, when you put your things in it can get lumpy and not lay against the body the same way it does when empty. It's the same problem I had with a flat messenger. If you use those, or Besace, then maybe the flatness wouldn't bother you. Or maybe I just carry too much.
Will your SA let you put your things in the bag and then try it on? That is what I like to do and it often helps me make a decision.

Last edited:
Is this the style?

09_maldives_square_933.jpg

I remember seeing one tPFer bought it, and it is pretty big. Since you are tall, you should be able to rock it.

^^ that's what i was wondering. i actually think it's a great bag if you carry a lot of stuff. should look great in anthra and tempete, if it's a saturated tempete...

Dear Del, you know what I am going to say. I agree with amiekbs8 and Rere. I voted no, not because it's not classic, but because I don't like the design.

It could be a nice bag but I don't like the way it sports the motorcycle details. The buckles at the bottom look weird, tacked on underneath the two huge outside pockets. There's something very odd about it, at least in pictures.

But I know you have fabulous taste so if you've fallen in love with it and the style works for you then YES, go and get it! You may convert us.

I think it is hard to answer without knowing how tall you are. I have seen this bag IRL and although i do like the shape, it was HUGE on me. I think it looked bigger on me than my WE. The only other drawback is that since it is a flat tote bag, when you put your things in it can get lumpy and not lay against the body the same way it does when empty. It's the same problem I had with a flat messenger. If you use those, or Besace, then maybe the flatness wouldn't bother you. Or maybe I just carry too much.
Will your SA let you put your things in the bag and then try it on? That is what I like to do and it often helps me make a decision.

yes, it is a flat tote bag and you are right, once filled with my things, it can look fatty and lumpy. i didn't like the besace on me that much. the flatness of the besace and the lack of zipper bothered me. so i guess i have the answer to my thread. thank you everyone. i think i will go for another style in tempete.

Hey, Delmilano - bag-gage has a Square Tote in Praline (not sure if she's sold it yet) and she posted lots of pics, including mod pics, in this thread:
http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga/my-praline-square-tote-467923.html

I think she looks great with it, but I think she decided to give it up because it's like a bottomless pit and it makes searching for stuff in it really hard.

oh i haven't thought about the searching for stuff at the very deep bottom of it. true true true, that is so true, i'll have a hard time finding my things. i gave up the day because it's too deep for me, this sq tote will be much deeper.

Dear Del, you know what I am going to say. I agree with amiekbs8 and Rere. I voted no, not because it's not classic, but because I don't like the design.

It could be a nice bag but I don't like the way it sports the motorcycle details. The buckles at the bottom look weird, tacked on underneath the two huge outside pockets. There's something very odd about it, at least in pictures.

But I know you have fabulous taste so if you've fallen in love with it and the style works for you then YES, go and get it! You may convert us.

thanks *d*, i always trust your opinion, you are right, it's not a bal calssic that i usually like. the one bunny ear on just one side is quite weird like RERE said.
ok, i guess that i won't go for it, thanks for your great advice. i think it was just the desire of getting something new.