I'm bummed about my upcoming wedding...

I feel sad for you :sad:...I hope something works out (maybe someone can help your grandparents get to Virginia) or you can do a small re-ceremony and dinner back home. Best of luck and one of posters above said it great that his family are welcoming you and will no longer be strangers.

I can sympathize, I was married 2500 miles from home and most of my family couldn't be there and my Mom wasn't around to help out for the preparations except for the few days before -- your husband and yourself are the important part of the day and it really makes it special on your next visit home when your family can enjoy a reception with your new husband if you choose to do that - its like two celebrations! Congratulations and have a wonderful, happy healthy marriage.

Have a second ceremony at your parents' hometown. Not just a reception - a ceremony with reception.

That way you get to wear your wedding dress twice! Fun!

Involve your local relatives by having a flower girl, ring bearer, et al. Everyone dresses in their Sunday best.

To save money, have the ceremony at the reception site. Do the ceremony at the beginning. Have a potluck for the reception. I suggest you control the potluck a bit so you don't get a zillion scalloped potatoes. Names beginning with A-D is salad, E-G is main dish, H-K is beverage, etc. Ask a few gifted bakers to bring cake.

Reserve a place at a public place or park for no-cost venue. Ask everyone to take digital pictures and share them via email.

The date does not need to be close to your first wedding. Set the date for the convenience of your relatives.

Congratulations and have fun!

My parents always told me that weddings are more for the parents and their friends than for the people getting married (that is if you have a large wedding and your parents help with the guest list). I expect at my own wedding I will be spending time 'meeting' people that are friends of my parents and not even people I know!! I bet quite a few people have had weddings like this.

I would try to have a small in town reception after- don't be too hard on yourself- it is still your special day and everyone there, whether they know you or not, is there for YOU! It is about you and your future husband. Chin up! :heart:

I'm kinda in the same boat as you...and I know how aggrevating it is to see a list of all these people either you don't know or don't like. I'm korean and my fiance is persian, everybody from my side really like him but I can't say the same for his side. They think he shouldn't marry outside his race especially to a "money grubbing korean"...LOL (btw I make more than he does...honestly). So I am forced by his mother to invite all these people some I don't know and some I just don't like. There will be 107 guests and I can say fairly that 20 are for me. So the anger your feeling I definitely understand and sympathize for you. But the way I look at it, they can have the wedding. I don't care because after that I don't have to see his relatives ever again. Plus the Hawaii honeymoon is a bonus...LOL.

The hometown reception is a great way to go. A friend of mine married in California (most of her friends are in the Chicago area) and tho many of us had to decline, she and her family had a very nice, but modest reception in a relative's house for the rest of us. She wore her gown, but didn't do her hair up or the other extras. They had their wedding video playing on tv for us to watch. The food was simple, sheet cakes from Sam's Club, and we had a wonderful time!

BTW, how old are your grandparents? Maybe something at home will be easier on them anyway?

Best wishes. I think pre-wedding stress is very normal.

congrats on the upcoming wedding! i agree that something small and local would make you feel better by being surrounded by family and friends, and also make your family feel included. best of luck with it all :smile:

I totally agree with the other posts ... you can have another reception in your hometown so your relatives can attend, including your grandparents. Just think how happy everyone will be!

I went through the same thing. I got married in CA and most of my relatives are on the east coast. Many friends of the family who I would have loved to have at my wedding were unable to attend. But ... these things are just part of life.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you hire a videographer, so that you can send a copy of your wedding to people that were unable to attend like your grandparents. I'm sure they would truly appreciate it!

i think that's a great idea!