Home & Garden Ikea curtains

If I didn't need DH to do the rods, I'd have them puddle. But I do need him and he's dead set against puddling. Uugh

Anyway, I washed the two longest panels and they shrunk another two inches
So I guess I should wash the others again too

Yikes! Keep at it and it won't be long before you can skip the tailor. In all my days of laundering draperies I don't think I've never experienced shrinkage to the degree you've described. A few inches but nothing like this.

Dry air might be tough. You always run the risk of getting stains there.
When I dry outside in the summer, it never fails, one item will get stains from birds or me transporting from washing machine to to rack.
Forget the bathroom, one time my son took a shower and everything that was there got soaked with old spice ( don't ask why) body wash.
If you over shrink, you can go back and stretch it back a little bit.
I know LOL
they went from 98" to 85"
we are at the point of skipping the alterations ....just going to hang them higher

Dry air might be tough. You always run the risk of getting stains there.
When I dry outside in the summer, it never fails, one item will get stains from birds or me transporting from washing machine to to rack.
Forget the bathroom, one time my son took a shower and everything that was there got soaked with old spice ( don't ask why) body wash.
If you over shrink, you can go back and stretch it back a little bit.
yes the birds can be a problem
there is one panel that seems to have shrunk unevenly...maybe we can stretch that one

So I'm dying to know: how are the drapes doing? Are they working out? Are they dancing over the floor evenly? Was a tailoring nightmare averted? We need an update!
thanks Sue and limom (I can't multi quote)
They've all been washed and dried twice. Shrunk substantially. They're all about the same length now except for two panels. I won't know for sure until I hang them and have to wait for DH to do the curtain rods. I'm thinking maybe hand the two shorter panels on the least noticeable window (behind the sofa). Have all of them hang to the floor and the short pair will be a little above the floor.

We have a window coverings person coming tomorrow to show us shutters and shades for the MBR. If his prices are really good, we may change direction on the curtains.

If/when I hang them, I'll let you know how they look.
I ironed them and had to fold them so there are fold lines (may have to iron again or steam). Someone online complained they look "frumpy" after washing but we have a casual look and to me they look like linen - kind of wrinkly but not bad.

:lol:
The suspense was killing me.
I too like the casual look. It is not silk, it is fine if it is not perfect. It looks lived in.
yes, to each her own. Some of these people online also say tab top curtains are sloppy but Joanne Gaines uses them all the time and I love her style.

yes, to each her own. Some of these people online also say tab top curtains are sloppy but Joanne Gaines uses them all the time and I love her style.

I do too.
I tape her shows , watch which house they select and forward to the reveals.
Her houses always look so comfortable.
He drives me nuts lately:lol:

I do too.
I tape her shows , watch which house they select and forward to the reveals.
Her houses always look so comfortable.
He drives me nuts lately:lol:
I always say I want her to do my house
He doesn't bother me ( I know he gets on a lot of people's nerves). The ones who really grate on me are those twins. I don't like them and I don't care for their design ideas.

I always say I want her to do my house
He doesn't bother me ( I know he gets on a lot of people's nerves). The ones who really grate on me are those twins. I don't like them and I don't care for their design ideas.

Not a fan either. I think it is too cookie cutter and might be for a younger audience.
I like comfy though Joanne's style fits the bill.
It is like shabby chic reboot.

If/when I hang them, I'll let you know how they look.
I ironed them and had to fold them so there are fold lines (may have to iron again or steam). Someone online complained they look "frumpy" after washing but we have a casual look and to me they look like linen - kind of wrinkly but not bad.

If you want to a crisper look fill a spray bottle with water. Thoroughly dampen the drapes.
Wrap them in plastic and let them sit for a few hours for the dampness to settle in. Then iron them with a bit of spray starch.

There's a variation of this in which you soak the drapes, squeeze out the excess water and put them in the freezer overnight. The next day carefully unwrap the frozen drapes and apply a hot iron directly to iron them flat. (You might need to wear goggles for all the steam. :lol:) I've done this hundreds of times for linen and it works great. You get perfect flatness. It's supposed to work for cotton too, although I'd be a little careful to watch for scorching.

If you want to a crisper look fill a spray bottle with water. Thoroughly dampen the drapes.
Wrap them in plastic and let them sit for a few hours for the dampness to settle in. Then iron them with a bit of spray starch.

There's a variation of this in which you soak the drapes, squeeze out the excess water and put them in the freezer overnight. The next day carefully unwrap the frozen drapes and apply a hot iron directly to iron them flat. (You might need to wear goggles for all the steam. :lol:) I've done this hundreds of times for linen and it works great. You get perfect flatness. It's supposed to work for cotton too, although I'd be a little careful to watch for scorching.
thanks Sue
you're very resourceful