If you have a MICHAEL Michael Kors bag, please read

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I bought a MICHAEL Michael Kors bag (his lower end line, not the "Michael Kors designer line) bag about 6 years ago. The leather held up amazingly and I was HARD on that bag but the silver tone hardware did not. It got tarnished and developed these tiny flecks of rust on the little silver padlock that was on it. Now I really want a Hamilton (with gold hardware) but I do not want to spend $350.00 on a bag that I refuse to carry in a year or so b/c the hardware looks like that of a cheap knockoff.
Do you have a Hamilton and how is the hardware holding up OR if you have a more recent MK diffuse line bag, how is the hardware looking?
I wonder if he has improved his hardware since that bag wayyyy back 6 yeras ago.

Well, I have a M by MK Astor Satchel bag that I have owned for at least 5 years. This bag is the one with the little tiny round studs going up the middle of the sides of the bag and other places. The leather is absolutely gorgeous with a beautiful patina on it now and I can honestly say that some of the studs are "tarnished" with some darker markings on them, but in using that bag for all this time, I really expected something like this to happen. But it is no where near to the point that I would ditch this bag because no one would even notice....except for me.....because I baby my bags so much and just hate when they show wear. Now, this isn't the M by MK line you wrote about, but I wanted you to know that I thought the hardware was just fine for the use the bag has received.

You might find more responses in the Michael Kors Sub Forum, too.

I haven't tried cleaning it with a cleaner. I have tried polishing it with a silver cleaning cloth (one that is treated with a tarnish solution) and it didn't do anything.

Thinking about it I'd have to agree. The ones I have that aren't collections bags do exhibit some wear on the metal, although my Ranger bag hasn't as the hardware seems a bit different on that particular style. I'm pretty sure all the astor bags and other misc ones have though.

Also the metal on the collection bags holds up impeccably, never had a problem on either of my Skorpios bags.

Not sure about the Hamilton though.

Anyone else had a Hamilton or other MMK bag for at least a year? Can you please provide thoughts on the hardware. I really want to give MMK another try, just gun shy. Did the hardware rust, discolor or turn black? Any feedback would be sooooo appreciated.

I have a Layton with gold hardware that I've carried heavily for 2 years and a silver hardware Beverly that has been in heavy rotation for several months. The hardware hasn't flaked or chipped on either one and looks like new.

funny you bring this up, i was looking the lock on my patent hamilton (I got it last spring) and i noticed it looked like powder or something was on it. i tried to rub it off but it wouldn't move. It was were the lock rubbed against the metal....

I don't know if there is anything to fix it. it isn't tarnished, but just a powdery white looking finish

funny you bring this up, i was looking the lock on my patent hamilton (I got it last spring) and i noticed it looked like powder or something was on it. i tried to rub it off but it wouldn't move. It was were the lock rubbed against the metal....

I don't know if there is anything to fix it. it isn't tarnished, but just a powdery white looking finish

I think this is the coating of the metal being scratched. I have this too as my Hamilton gets used. But other than that, I haven't noticed any tarnishing or rusting so far. The chain also seems to be fine.

I have several Hamiltons but did not like the chain strap so I cut it off and now it looks just as I want it-I like hand held bags

You cut it off?!

Did you leave the D rings that are attached to the side or did you take those off as well? I am curious as to how you went about this. Would you mind posting pictures? When I first got the bag I didn't like the chain either, but I found the longer strap to be very useful.