If you had to start collecting all over again, what would you do differently?

Time to revive this because I sort of re-started my collection and my thoughts have changed alot.

I now find it's imperative that a bag has a removable strap. That way I can switch around and make the bag work and look different. I found this to be a really strong thought pattern when I was walking through the department store and I initially liked a DKNY camera bag - then, within a few seconds I thought that this bag would not work for me. It took me a moment to realise that it was the strap that was the problem. You can't take it off and switch it.
Looking back a few months I never thought this would be an issue for me. I'm downsizing so bags have to have several looks and ways to use them to make me happy and I think that's something I could and should have learnt a long time ago.

Interesting thread. I'm revisiting my collection at the moment and there's some things I'm very happy that I did early on (like buying my classic Chanel bags) and others that I'm trying to correct. Lessons learned in the process:
- If you don't love / use a bag enough, sell it right away, especially if it's a more trendy style or brand. Chances are you'll end up selling it eventually but the more you wait the more money you'll lose as the style's popularity will decrease.
- Having multiple black bags is ok since it's the color I gravitate towards the most.
- Handheld only styles are a definite no for me, no matter how nice the bag is.
- Don't buy a bag just because you like it. Having too many bags, no matter how nice they are, is overwhelming. I would rather have a smaller collection of bags I use regularly.
- Similarly, if your bags don't fit in your closet, you have too many and need to sell some. Clutter gives me anxiety and it's just not worth it.
- Having 1 or 2 occasion bags (clutches etc.) is enough for my lifestyle.
- Smaller brands can be just as nice as more well-known designers, and sometimes even nicer (while being a lot less expensive)

Be careful where you store your bags! I had mine in a closet that got sunny & hot and the leather got melted & bubbly on parts of one purse!
It was a cheaper bag but I really liked it (small, light & nice pop of color ) but it couldn't be salvaged.

Make sure a bag is easy to get in & out of & fits what I need; but isn't too heavy.
This one I still struggle with- I don't love super soft/slouchy bags but I tend to bump everything with my more structured bags so I need something in between I guess? Not sure there is such a thing

Reactions: Annabel Lee