If you had to start collecting all over again, what would you do differently?

I would stay away from impulse purchases-I have bought and sold so many bags over the last 10 years-so unnecessary!! I like what I have right now but I'm still looking for that perfect minimalist set of bags-I don't want more than 10 so I'm under that but I'm not quite there yet.

I actually have alot and I'm now in the process of changing my collection. Sold some and bought some. These are only based on my experience
1. Buy only what you really want (color, leather, hardware) and don't settle for any less
2. Don't buy it just because its sale
3. Stick to your wishlist
4. Consider resale value
5. Don't buy same bag and just different color
6. Don't buy bag just because its cute or pretty, consider how it looks on you
7. As much as possible if funds permit buy from the store
8. Always go with the classics
9. Make alooooot of research first
10. WAIT. WAIT. WAIT. Don't plunge in immediately once the fund is available.
11. As much as possible start buying the bags with the highest price increase and keep the money instead of buying the cheaper one first.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935F using PurseForum mobile app

My lessons learned:
Calm down on the metallics!
You're not going to a cocktail party every night!
Think about a bag's weight!
How many blue/pink/lavender/insert color bags do you need?
How quickly can I open it?
At least I've learned that almost everything goes on sale....

I think I pretty much have this thing down. Things I do now are:

1. always wait at least 3 months before purchasing a bag
2. wait for sales
3. try to make "lifetime" purchases, avoid overly trendy / age specific bags

one thing I would've done different
1. almost completely avoided mono/siggy bags

I like to re-read this thread every so often. Things I've decided in the last couple of months, after going through various buying/consigning/donating phases:

- Don't buy Final Sale items online unless you are absolutely sure of the style, color, and how it will look on you. I've learned this the expensive way for designer handbags in particular.
- Buy from a local store when possible, and cultivate a relationship with a salesperson to learn about new styles and colors, upcoming sales, and insight into the brand.
- Don't fall into the trap of keeping up with the Joneses (or friends, school parents, co-workers). A bag or "fabulous" item of clothing purchased to keep up with trends won't feel very personally satisfying unless it fits a need in your life.
- Likewise, ask yourself, if nobody in my neighborhood or at my workplace knew about this brand, would I still feel proud to wear this bag?
- Very few items are going to disappear permanently and never be available again, and if they do, there will always be something equally fabulous down the road! Such is our consumer society.

Reactions: Annabel Lee
Excellent thread with excellent points, great place to learn from for the future. My interest in bags started only two years ago but have learned that more bags does not equal happiness, quite the contrary. And just because a bag (or bags) is on sale, doesn't mean go buy it! Only buy what makes your heart sing :smile:. And if possible, check out the purse in person before committing.

Would wait and have more patience in building my collection (and not buy up so much so quickly). Also acknowledge that just because it is designer and/or on sale, it doesn't mean I have to buy it.

Also should wait for an item I know I actually want to go on sale instead of paying full price.

Reactions: Chachalouve
1. Don't buy just because I like the look or the concept of the design or the making of that bag. I should be able to really truly wear it.

2. It's ok to love Chanel and buy a lot of them, but I'd have to know that I am not careful enough to wear a light color lamb and jumbo isn't cut for my lifestyle.

3. Don't go crazy on Bal and buy just because that year has great leather. Every year offer great leather. I just have to look hard for it.

4. As much as I love colors, not every color suit my skin tone. And this doesn't apply just for clothes. It works for bags, too.

Reactions: snow0160