If you could interview Tomas Maier, what would you ask?

https://www.instagram.com/bottegaveneta/?hl=en

I’m now resigned to the idea that if an entire new group of customers flock to BV, then the changes (that I personally view as severe) will prove Tomas Maier right. If not, I am hoping that he will take a U-turn in upcoming seasons and return to us. And, there’s a very slight chance that there will be new bag styles that I’ll love....but think I think that’s more of a desperate hope than reality. :crybaby:

Last edited:
Reactions: jburgh
while i understand the "runway collection" thing, as well as i respect the attempts of the creative mind to explore and broaden his horizons, i refuse to believe that THIS is meant to be THE COLLECTION on the shelves, which is (as per my understanding of BV concept) totally opposite of what 'timeless quiet luxury' is!

Attachments

• BV sphere.jpg
    BV sphere.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 95
with ref to my above, i would ask Herr Tomas if he seriously thinks that THIS can make the same sale/profit at the price of Mini Cabat, rather than Mini Cabat would do itself???

Attachments

• BV City Knot.jpg
    BV City Knot.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: diane278
while i understand the "runway collection" thing, as well as i respect the attempts of the creative mind to explore and broaden his horizons, i refuse to believe that THIS is meant to be THE COLLECTION on the shelves, which is (as per my understanding of BV concept) totally opposite of what 'timeless quiet luxury' is!
This bag is currently on the shelf at the Bellevue Boutique in Seattle. :yucky:
All the bags this season are so busy - so much going on - no more simple, streamlined, classic lines.
To me, none of them are what I would call a timeless bag, worth the $5,000 price tag. They're disposable seasonal styles that I think will flood the resale market in the next year or so. Well, you know, if anyone actually buys them to begin with. When I heard about the Campana being discontinued, I was told that it was because the bag was made up of eight pieces of leather or something like that, and Tomas wanted to focus on more seamless construction bags. I can understand that looking at styles like the Garda, Cesta, Veneta, but what on earth is this yellow bag in the above post? Talk about multiple pieces and seams. How does that fit into that vision?

This bag is currently on the shelf at the Bellevue Boutique in Seattle. :yucky:
All the bags this season are so busy - so much going on - no more simple, streamlined, classic lines.
To me, none of them are what I would call a timeless bag, worth the $5,000 price tag. They're disposable seasonal styles that I think will flood the resale market in the next year or so. Well, you know, if anyone actually buys them to begin with. When I heard about the Campana being discontinued, I was told that it was because the bag was made up of eight pieces of leather or something like that, and Tomas wanted to focus on more seamless construction bags. I can understand that looking at styles like the Garda, Cesta, Veneta, but what on earth is this yellow bag in the above post? Talk about multiple pieces and seams. How does that fit into that vision?
again, if it was priced accordingly - fine, for a one season only trendy bag, which, imho, is made of leftover/cut-off bits and pieces, the price tag is insane :tdown:

I understand that Tomas has people he is accountable to but I’m wondering if they are all reading the same financial newspapers and drinking the same kool-aide. Are they chasing Hermes’ tradition of limited availability by producing more limited editions of cabats and lidos? Bvettes buy these bags because they love them, not because they are limited. Just because Hermes has developed a specific business model that works for them, it doesn’t necessarily translate to other companies. Hermes has a long history of very high profile clients, including Grace Kelly, that can’t be bought. They actually elevated/created their highest profile celebrity (Jane Birkin) who has been around for decades....not seasons.
Hermes maintains their iconic styles (Kelly, Birkin, & Constance bags) no matter what other styles they introduce or discontinue. They are consistent. And, although they may offer variations, the basic iconic versions remain available in a myriad of colors. Cabat? Veneta? Tomas, your iconic creation, the cabat, seems to be morphing into a series of seasonal art projects. Why? I think the theme we’re looking for here is consistency. Please hear us. We love BV and we want it to succeed.

Last edited:
I understand that Tomas has people he is accountable to but I’m wondering if they are all reading the same financial newspapers and drinking the same kool-aide. Are they chasing Hermes’ tradition of limited availability by producing more limited editions of cabats and lidos? Bvettes buy these bags because they love them, not because they are limited. Just because Hermes has developed a specific business model that works for them, it doesn’t necessarily translate to other companies. Hermes has a long history of very high profile clients, including Grace Kelly, that can’t be bought. They actually elevated/created their highest profile celebrity (Jane Birkin) who has been around for decades....not seasons.
Hermes maintains their iconic styles (Kelly, Birkin, & Constance bags) no matter what other styles they introduce or discontinue. They are consistent. And, although they may offer variations, the basic iconic versions remain available in a myriad of colors. Cabat? Veneta? Tomas, your iconic creation, the cabat, seems to be morphing into a series of seasonal art projects. Why? I think the theme we’re looking for here is consistency. Please hear us. We love BV and we want it to succeed.

Well said, Diane