If I'm not buying Hermes, the designer I turn to most often is: (poll)

If I'm not buying Hermes, the designer I turn to most often is:

• Bottega

Votes: 53 9.4%
  • Celine

Votes: 46 8.1%
  • Chanel

Votes: 269 47.6%
  • Dior

Votes: 80 14.2%
  • Fendi

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Louis Vuitton

Votes: 131 23.2%
  • Moynat

Votes: 32 5.7%
  • Saint Laurent

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Only H for me!

Votes: 66 11.7%
  • Contemporary designers/other (please share)

Votes: 55 9.7%

• Total voters

ItsPurseonal

Jan 2, 2020
I know there are various threads for sharing non-Hermes "indulgences," but I thought it would be fun to better quantify the prevalence of interest across designers outside of Hermes.

In the non-Hermes indulgences thread, it seems like there is interest across the spectrum of designers, but I'm curious what everyone's rationale is for what piques your interest most. I can see turning to (old) Celine or Bottega for similarly understated luxury, and on the other end of the spectrum I can see turning to LV for an ultra-durable and no-fuss canvas bag. It also seems like there is a pretty strong presence for Moynat purchases in that thread due to similar high quality of craftsmanship. Or maybe many H devotees just stick to H :smile:

So, where do you turn for non-Hermes items and why?

Reactions: OneMoreDay
I have been a fan of Moynat bags since the relaunch - the quality is on par with H in every way. However, with the change of creative director and CEO, it remains to be seen whether this will continue.

Else, Hermes all the way! (Sold all of my Chanel and LV bags a while ago b/c they feel "less than" H/Moynat. My only BVs are from the end of Maier's tenure, and I have no plans to buy under current direction. Same with Celine. Dabbles into Dior and Fendi also were also not long-lived.)

Last edited:
For me, I will really only purchase H when it comes to bags and leather. Other brands don’t really hold their value the way H does - it doesn’t make sense to me. Also, quality has gone so downhill per other brands I used to love - yet their prices have increased. :noworry: But if I’m not buying H, I tend to like to purchase jewelry and interior design items.

Currently I am only interested in buying Hermès leather goods and scarves, although I have an Hermès cashmere cardigan and Tonneau watch bought several years ago from my boutique, both of which I love. In general, Hermès shoes and RTW do not fit me well and most of the jewelry and houseware items do not interest me enough. I have purchased many adored bags and jewelry from Bottega Veneta during Meier‘s reign which I rotate in regularly, and a few bags from Céline during Philo’s reign which are used much less often but neither of these design houses are currently offering anything of interest for me. Chanel holds no interest for me other than a caviar mini I bought in the 1990’s which I have kept at my daughter‘s request. So for now it would seem to be only Hermès for me!

A few months ago I indulged an impulse to purchase two LV Pochette Metis bags, but other than that I'm pretty much loyal to H. My Chanel boxes are all checked. I have a bag collection that has no holes. There is no occasion, event, weather condition, mood, whim, audience, or permutation of circumstances that I can't accommodate to satisfaction. At this point, I just find myself buying duplicates and different sizes of my favorite H bags (Evelyne and Birkin).

When it comes to bags if it isn’t H, I am not spending very much as it’s for a very casual bag (think Longchamp or LL Bean beach bag). I tried a number of luxury brands before H and the majority have been rehomed. I have kept a few few pieces from other brands but won’t be buying more.

I don’t buy H jewelry. I like the scarves. My favourite silk scarves are H but my favourite cashmere scarves are a small minimalist brand that are the best quality of any I have ever tried (better IMHO than H and Loro Piana).

Last edited:
I still like Goyard despite some issues with cracking handles on certain models. for example, my St. Louis was fine, but my marquises was not. I’ve had back and wrist issues, so I like Bottegas light weight bags. My mom likes Moynat, so I’m interested in exploring more. I also, in fits of minimalism, sold some bags, that I’d like to repurchase